383 replies to this topic

#361 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,483 posts

Posted 26 December 2023 - 01:18 PM

Probably you should trust McCaffrey, he's your real MVP candidate after all, but at the same time they were using their last couple linemen, didn't exactly blow us off the ball on 2nd down, and failing costs you a timeout or a bunch of clock, both of which are crucial at that point. Obviously sack is the worst case scenario but an incomplete on 3rd still gives you a chance to run on 4th.

Mack called at the time why you pretty much had to pass. If you fail running you either waste too much time or you have to use an extrememly valuable TO. Aikman nailed it on color. Darnold has to know the situation and just throw it away. Cant take the sack.

#362 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,483 posts

Posted 26 December 2023 - 01:21 PM

That whole sequence was huge. The last 2:20ish. To first stop them on first and second downs and run the clock to the 2 min warning. Then of course to turn them over on downs and end the game.

#363 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 26 December 2023 - 01:31 PM

That whole sequence was huge. The last 2:20ish. To first stop them on first and second downs and run the clock to the 2 min warning. Then of course to turn them over on downs and end the game.

After the PI I was dreading them scoring before the 2 minute warning, us going 3 and out with at least one incompletion, and giving them the ball back with like 1:30 left and still 1 or 2 TOs. The defense really stepped up there. And even though it mattered a lot less at that point kudos to Gus and the line getting a 1st down on the last drive to remove all doubt.

#364 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 26 December 2023 - 01:33 PM

It's mind-blowing to me that Shanahan actually had Darnold drop back to pass on 3rd and goal from the Ravens 1 yard line there at the end.  McCaffrey was on the field too, not hurt or anything.  So many of these coaches are too smart for their own good.  It was a truly Harbaughian decision...

I marvel at the amount of teams that throw the ball on 3rd or 4th and 1. Not even like, 3 TEs and play action to see if you can slip someone behind the defense. We're talking shotgun and 5 wide. Not to be too old school but it's the epitome of soft.

• Ravens2006 likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#365 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,483 posts

Posted 26 December 2023 - 05:28 PM

Yeah that's what he was when I made the bet. Gunnar was +1000 at the time (this was like really early June after he had his first hot week) which combined is +17500

Someone has a major sweat/big decision coming the next few weeks. +17500 is a huge number

#366 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 December 2023 - 06:51 PM

Someone has a major sweat/big decision coming the next few weeks. +17500 is a huge number

Honestly. I would hedge Sunday with Miami ML. Cuz if we win Sunday I think he wins MVP

Or take the buy out offer but those are usually garbage.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#367 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 December 2023 - 07:56 AM

Honestly. I would hedge Sunday with Miami ML. Cuz if we win Sunday I think he wins MVP

Or take the buy out offer but those are usually garbage.

The buyout is close to 50%  of what the payout could be.  Jumped up big time during the game.  I was listening to the BS pod yesterday, Cousin Sal said Purdy's status as favorite to falling so far was the largest late season swing ever.

#368 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,483 posts

Posted 27 December 2023 - 09:40 PM

Lamar's numbers just arent overwhelming. Thats what concerns me.  I get that the narrative is he is now the frontrunner and Vegas agrees but we saw how quickly that changed with Purdy. If we win SUn but he has an uneven day and then sits out Week 18 while CMC continues to do CMC things I dont know man. I mean thats gonna be the top seed in the NFC. He ends up with 2300 + scrimmage yards and 25 TDs I just would be sweating if I had a bet in. THats if we beat Miami. If we were to lose I think it becomes that much more unlikely he gets it. Now if we beat Miami and Lamar is very good I would be less worried but unlike Cerrano I do see a scenario where we beat Miami but he stil doesnt win it.

#369 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 December 2023 - 10:02 PM

Lamar's numbers just arent overwhelming. Thats what concerns me. I get that the narrative is he is now the frontrunner and Vegas agrees but we saw how quickly that changed with Purdy. If we win SUn but he has an uneven day and then sits out Week 18 while CMC continues to do CMC things I dont know man. I mean thats gonna be the top seed in the NFC. He ends up with 2300 + scrimmage yards and 25 TDs I just would be sweating if I had a bet in. THats if we beat Miami. If we were to lose I think it becomes that much more unlikely he gets it. Now if we beat Miami and Lamar is very good I would be less worried but unlike Cerrano I do see a scenario where we beat Miami but he stil doesnt win it.

Are you worried about the parlay? As far as the team is concerned I'm totally fine if he misses the Mvp because he sat week 18.

#370 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,483 posts

Posted 27 December 2023 - 10:10 PM

Are you worried about the parlay? As far as the team is concerned I'm totally fine if he misses the Mvp because he sat week 18.

Yeah just talking about his actual chances of winning it with different scenarios. I def want no parts of him playing Week 18 if we have the #1 seed wrapped up

#371 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,373 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 07:20 AM

Yeah just talking about his actual chances of winning it with different scenarios. I def want no parts of him playing Week 18 if we have the #1 seed wrapped up

I wouldn't want him to sit all of Week 18 in that case. Not playing W18, followed by a bye is a long layoff. OTOH playing him at all is a risk. Do understand that.

#372 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 07:49 AM

Lamar's numbers aren't eye popping like in 2019 but if MVP means how important a player is to his team and their success rate, then yes, there's no one better.  Usually, the award is decided on stats so if he doesn't win it, I won't be surprised or disappointed.  If Miami makes it to the Super Bowl, you could make a very strong case for Tyreek Hill.  But I don't think there's any unanimous, runaway winners like Lamar in 2019. 

#373 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 28 December 2023 - 09:07 AM

Especially with TJ Watt on the opposite side. I don't trust that MFer.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#374 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 09:28 AM

I wouldn't want him to sit all of Week 18 in that case. Not playing W18, followed by a bye is a long layoff. OTOH playing him at all is a risk. Do understand that.

I’d say if the game doesn’t matter, Give LJ one drive, all handoffs, maybe a quick pass or two from the shotgun. Put him in zero danger. But have him go through the motions so it’s not a full nearly 3 weeks without a game.
  • makoman likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#375 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 09:33 AM

I’d say if the game doesn’t matter, Give LJ one drive, all handoffs, maybe a quick pass or two from the shotgun. Put him in zero danger. But have him go through the motions so it’s not a full nearly 3 weeks without a game.

I agree. One bye is no big deal, every team does it every year, and the Ravens have generally been good at coming off the bye. While I have nothing to support it, two "byes" I feel like maybe you can start to get rusty and out of sync. If week 18 means nothing everyone should play a little bit so they have to prepare and stay in the right mindset throughout the week. Maybe I wouldn't even tell them until game day how long they are playing, I don't know.

#376 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 09:40 AM

Lamar's numbers aren't eye popping like in 2019 but if MVP means how important a player is to his team and their success rate, then yes, there's no one better.  Usually, the award is decided on stats so if he doesn't win it, I won't be surprised or disappointed.  If Miami makes it to the Super Bowl, you could make a very strong case for Tyreek Hill.  But I don't think there's any unanimous, runaway winners like Lamar in 2019. 

One could argue that Josh Allen is as important to the Bills, but the turnovers have been detrimental to them so there's that.  If I was voting now, I'd give it to McCaffrey.  As good of a season as Hill has had, I just can't see giving a receiver MVP. 

#377 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 10:00 AM

One could argue that Josh Allen is as important to the Bills, but the turnovers have been detrimental to them so there's that.  If I was voting now, I'd give it to McCaffrey.  As good of a season as Hill has had, I just can't see giving a receiver MVP. 

Kupp only got one vote on a 12 win team with a 145-1947-16 year, all leading the league. Obviously the other candidates matter, but it is tough for a WR to get in there. If Tua has a great game to beat us this week maybe he leapfrogs everybody, he seems to be consensus 4th now? He needs to battle the same narrative as Purdy, that his weapons are more important than he is.

#378 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 10:04 AM

Dak is getting a little overlooked in the MVP race. Which is surprising given the medias Dallas bias. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#379 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 10:15 AM

Dak is getting a little overlooked in the MVP race. Which is surprising given the medias Dallas bias. 

The media obsession with Dallas goes both ways.  When Dallas wins they're the greatest team ever and Dak is the favorite for MVP.  When they lose, the season is falling apart and Dallas might need to move on from Dak.

#380 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 December 2023 - 10:24 AM

The loss in Buffalo knocked him down the pecking order

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=