Photo

Orioles.com: What does the O's bullpen look like after Kimbrel's arrival?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,325 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 10:52 AM

Orioles.com: What does the O's bullpen look like after Kimbrel's arrival?

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 12:09 PM

I'd bump Wells into that high leverage arm category. There's no point trying to make a starter out of him three years in a row. Give him a spot at the back end of the bullpen and let him thrive.

Could also swap Perez and DL Hall.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 December 2023 - 06:19 PM

I'd bump Wells into that high leverage arm category. 

I tend to agree with this.  I like the notion that Tyler has been very Team oriented in his role, but there's a reality in paycheck between starters and relievers.  Maybe he doesn't care, but the people around him certainly do/will.

Jake gets a couple things wrong here (I think).  Irvin does have an option (according to COTs), so he doesn't have to be in the pen, but he mentions Baumann, Webb and Zimmermann in the 'additional' category and none of them have options.  Zimmermann probably doesn't get claimed, Baumann and Webb certainly would.

Putting Wells or Hall (or Irvin) into the starting rotation means the Orioles didn't add a starter and that should be an unacceptable failure of this offseason.  Given the limited action in the Glasnow trade, it's impossible for me to believe we don't wind up with Burnes (or at least Bieber as a consolation prize). 

This is all laid out in the 2024 Bullpen thread.  That was supposed to be something between "Oriole Talk" where every thought goes in one tread and making every article it's own thread (so whatever).

I don't know that we need the categories Jake lays out here, because you have enough quality and quantity that Hyde should have the flexibility to match up how the Game situation dictates.

CSR: Kimbrel (good signing)

RH1: Cano (build off excellent 2023) 

RH2: TWells (solid, high-leverage, multi-inning weapon) 

RH3: Tate (hopefully comes back strong)

RH4: Baumann (0 options)

LH1: Coulombe (0 options, really good 2023, really like this guy in interviews)

LH2: Perez (0 options, bounced back from a guy everyone wanted to replace back to solid to end the year)

LH3: Hall (looked good in relief, a healthy season with some innings could put him back in a starter discussion)

Irvin - offered arbitration but there's really no room (1 option)

Akin - offered  arbitration but there's really no room 

Zimmermann - 0 options

Vespi - optionable depth (1 option)

Baker - optionable depth (although that's not going to make him happy) (1 option)

Webb - 0 options, offered arbitration 

The numbers just don't work.  If that's ok, that's ok, but the fact is that the Rules of MLB will come for this portion of the roster by Opening Day.  29 other teams will get some access to something.  If the goal is to just hold onto everything into/through ST and wait to see on injuries or some level of desperation from another team based on injury, again, ok, but something has to happen.  If we don't see it now, we have to see it later.  Orioles do not seem to be dealing on equal footing with other teams.  

None of the 14 guys listed is OK going to AAA, most of them can't go there (Rules).

The real challenge for this Bullpen is the lack of flexibility for rotating guys based on some workload. Only Hall and Tate feel like optionable pieces based on some level of workload and we hope they are pitching well enough that feels wrong.

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 December 2023 - 06:48 PM

Here's a fun Bullpen fact.

Only 5 players drafted (and signed) at 553rd in the MLB draft have made the Majors.  Only 3 have a positive WAR.

1992: Allen McDill (-0.6 WAR, 38 games with a 7.79 ERA)

2006: Lars Anderson (-0.3 WAR, 48 ABs w/.455 OPS...many will remember this guy was a top 100 prospect with the RedSox made it as high at #17 in BA in 2009)

1998: Bret Prinz (0.5 WAR , 102 games, 4.89 ERA)

So why bring this up?

Jacob Webb (1.9 WAR) and Nick Vespi (0.4 WAR) were both drafted at 553 in back-to-back years ((2014, 2015).

Super Secret Side Note: Never seen this, but it 2022, the Astros drafted Isaiah Jackson/OF at 553 and his signing status is listed as UNK.  I think the answer is "No" since he played for ASU in 2023 (and later the Madison Mallards in the Northwoods League). MLB has a signing deadline...do we really not know if Teams signed their players?  Really?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=