417 replies to this topic

#381 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 11:42 PM

I think McCauley was right.  It's what I hate about replay.  It should have overturned that, but they claimed not clear.  It wasn't going to change the game outcome.  There are replay calls that decide games that they overturn with less evidence than that.  I would be fine with getting rid of replay all together.  Just let them play and live with the call on the field like they did in the 70's.

#382 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 11:43 PM

He was still going on about it. Dude, get over it. You were wrong. You wanted drama at the end of the game. That's it.

Clear and obvious it was not. That infers he has ABSOLUTE firm control of the ball. The super slow motion / freeze frame shows he MIGHT have had control a couple milliseconds before he touched down out of bounds. Might is not definite. And the ball is still moving a bit in his hands as he slides out anyway.

Did the replay suggest MAYBE he had it? Sure. But maybe isn't clear and convincing. And that isn't enough to overturn the call.
  • Mike in STL and Steve55 like this

#383 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 12:00 AM

Just a bummer win. Feels kinda empty.

#384 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 December 2023 - 12:00 AM

However they ruled that play was how it was going to stand. It needs to be blatantly wrong to be overturned

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#385 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 18 December 2023 - 12:10 AM

I think McCauley was right.  It's what I hate about replay.  It should have overturned that, but they claimed not clear.  It wasn't going to change the game outcome.  There are replay calls that decide games that they overturn with less evidence than that.  I would be fine with getting rid of replay all together.  Just let them play and live with the call on the field like they did in the 70's.

I think he had a point but to go back 3 times and double down is just d-baggery.  Ain't no way you're convincing me that like 3 tv frames worth of time (that's 100 milliseconds) is enough time controlling the football to deem it a clear-and-obvious overturn.

• Mike in STL likes this

#386 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 06:09 AM

Nothing special and haven't watched the recording of the game yet.  But a win is a win and I'll take it.  Obviously better than the alternative.  Not going to hear any complaints from me this week. 

#387 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 06:12 AM

Save for the pick, Lamar was fantastic.

The defense played an outstanding game and neutralized Lawrence and the Jags O.

Losing Mitchell is heartbreaking, but this team has persevered all season.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#388 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 18 December 2023 - 06:53 AM

I was waiting for him to “strenuously object.”

This trial starts on Monday.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Steve55 like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#389 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 18 December 2023 - 06:55 AM

Roquan Smith said. “Biggest thing in this game is not yards, it’s about how many points you scored. We try to impose our will on people week in and week out. Those guys, I heard their little motto was it takes a bully … I guess the bully gets hit in the mouth sometimes."

Roquan is Ray Lewis Jr.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Ravens2006 like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#390 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 07:09 AM

Dammit! I just found out Mitchell got hurt.  Man, that one hurts.  The kid was such a breath of fresh air and a legitimate threat every time he touched the ball.  Feel really bad for him.  

#391 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 08:08 AM

I think he had a point but to go back 3 times and double down is just d-baggery.  Ain't no way you're convincing me that like 3 tv frames worth of time (that's 100 milliseconds) is enough time controlling the football to deem it a clear-and-obvious overturn.

I was really surpised it wasn't mentioned after game but was talked about too much. It wasn't like if it was a TD all they needed was a 2 pt conversion to tie. They needed another TD and 2 to tie.

#392 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 08:29 AM

Lamar hasn't been 2019 dominant. But he has definitely been our best offensive player every week. I'm sure he has detractors out there that will still say he isn't worth his salary. But this isn't an 11 win team right now without Lamar.
  • russsnyder likes this

#393 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 08:34 AM

Roquan Smith said. “Biggest thing in this game is not yards, it’s about how many points you scored. We try to impose our will on people week in and week out. Those guys, I heard their little motto was it takes a bully … I guess the bully gets hit in the mouth sometimes."

Roquan is Ray Lewis Jr.

Jacksonville was bullying them in the first half though. Roquan trying to take credit for 2 missed FGA and a horrid blunder by the opposing team before half is a bit annoying. They pushed the front around the whole first half. They crumbled on the last drive of the first half. They got bailed out by a kicker and a QB that should have spiked the ball.

To their credit, they definitely tightend up and dominated the 2nd half. The only thing Jacksonville had in the 2nd half were Lawrence scrambles.

But at the end of the day, this front 7 can, and has been bullied throughout the season. Arizona, L.A. and Cleveland all punched the front 7 in the mouth and they had no answer for it. Luckily they only lost one of those games.

#394 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 18 December 2023 - 08:47 AM

Jacksonville was bullying them in the first half though. Roquan trying to take credit for 2 missed FGA and a horrid blunder by the opposing team before half is a bit annoying. They pushed the front around the whole first half. They crumbled on the last drive of the first half. They got bailed out by a kicker and a QB that should have spiked the ball.

To their credit, they definitely tightend up and dominated the 2nd half. The only thing Jacksonville had in the 2nd half were Lawrence scrambles.

But at the end of the day, this front 7 can, and has been bullied throughout the season. Arizona, L.A. and Cleveland all punched the front 7 in the mouth and they had no answer for it. Luckily they only lost one of those games.

In fairness, I wouldn't say the defense was bailed out by the kicker...McManus missed from 50 and 54 yards. Certainly not chip shots.

I get some of what you're saying though. However, there was another quote from Roquan, to paraphrase, it's about points. The Ravens defense has allowed the fewest TDs in the league. If you keep teams out of the endzone, you're going to win a lot of ball games and that formula has been working out quite a bit so far.
@primetime667083

#395 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 18 December 2023 - 08:49 AM

I completely understand and appreciate Lamar keeping his eyes downfield and continuing to be a passer when he breaks contain. However, there are times where he needs to take what the defense is giving him. Instead of trying to jam that ball into Agholor, Jackson could taken an easy 5-7 yard gain with his legs. That needs to be the next evolution in Lamar's decision making.
  • NewMarketSean likes this
@primetime667083

#396 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 09:12 AM

Yeah there were a handful of times he was back there in the pocket, waiting for something to develop, when he easily could have ripped off a 12 yard run. Thankfully, things did develop more times than not and Lamar made it work.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#397 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 09:40 AM

Yeah there were a handful of times he was back there in the pocket, waiting for something to develop, when he easily could have ripped off a 12 yard run. Thankfully, things did develop more times than not and Lamar made it work.

Doesn't look like he had much of game passing.  At least not statistically.  

#398 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 09:42 AM

I completely understand and appreciate Lamar keeping his eyes downfield and continuing to be a passer when he breaks contain. However, there are times where he needs to take what the defense is giving him. Instead of trying to jam that ball into Agholor, Jackson could taken an easy 5-7 yard gain with his legs. That needs to be the next evolution in Lamar's decision making.

Disagree with this.  Agree that there are times to take what's there and times to look for bigger plays.  But most of the time, unless its a key 3rd down or some other thing where picking up a few yards is vital, should be looking for big plays.  Everyone just reacts when something bad happens and says Lamar should've taken some middling gain instead, which is fine, but nobody then goes back and puts the plusses on the ledger for when he could've ran for 6 yards but instead took a shot that got a bigger gain.

I think he's doing an excellent job of balancing keeping it himself versus looking for something through the air.  

• You Play to Win the Game, Biggsy and makoman like this

#399 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 09:42 AM

But it was one of their better games running the ball this year.  When you average 6.0 yards on 42 carries, that's impressive.  I'm sure the Jacksonville front 7 are glad to see the Ravens leave town. 

#400 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 09:47 AM

Doesn't look like he had much of game passing.  At least not statistically.  

It was his best throwing day of the year, IMO.  Maybe in multiple years.  I can't recall a single off-target throw, I'm sure there must've been some, but it was the most precise we've seen him in quite a while.  Which is saying something since he's generally been very accurate this year other than the inability to hit any deep throws.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=