689 replies to this topic

#661 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 07:22 PM

Hoping it's not serious since they tried to run him back out there. Would be really disappointing if it is serious because they ran him back out there.

Hoping they decided to be extra cautious due to the weather.

#662 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 07:30 PM

Harbaugh said he wanted to make sure they were ready for the 2 pt conversion on defense which is why they threw the challenge flag. “It’s an easy way to get a time out.”

You what else is an easy way to get a time out. Call time out.

Said “they run those play pretty quick.”

What’s quicker. Yelling and signaling timeout, or throwing a red flag 20 feet in the air just before the snap hoping someone sees it?

Guy is a goof. After watching his presser I’m surprised he didn’t say “God told me to throw the flag”
  • russsnyder and cprenegade like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#663 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 07:46 PM

Ravens with a 1 game cushion over KC for the one seed with the Chiefs loss. 2 in the win column but I think KC owns tie breakers.

Keep on winning, but there is a small margin for error rather than zero for the 1 seed with the Jags loss, and we’ll root against and need to beat the Dolphins of course.
@BSLMikeRandall

#664 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 08:09 PM

Harbaugh said he wanted to make sure they were ready for the 2 pt conversion on defense which is why they threw the challenge flag. “It’s an easy way to get a time out.”
What’s quicker. Yelling and signaling timeout, or throwing a red flag 20 feet in the air just before the snap hoping someone sees it?
Guy is a goof. After watching his presser I’m surprised he didn’t say “God told me to throw the flag”

Maybe not God but definitely Donald Trump.
  • cprenegade likes this

#665 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 08:12 PM

He's had a real QB his entire career (and a great one recently), that helps a lot.

Newsome and DeCosta have given him a quality roster EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

#666 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 08:40 PM

That's more laughable than the mistake itself.  Like there are situations where the refs wouldn't give you a TO?  Maybe it's true, because the play he challenged had absolutely no chance of being overturned, but what a stupid train of thought.

An easy way to get a TO?  How about just yelling at the ref and signalling TO?  He should have just said that in the confusion someone was yelling throw the flag in his headphones and before he had a chance to think about it, he just threw it.  His explanation makes him look dumber than just admitting he made a mistake.  Harbaugh arrogance.  It runs in the family.  

#667 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 08:42 PM

Maybe not God but definitely Donald Trump.

Wait a minute, I'm confused.  Aren't they the same?  At least that's what the Donald wants us to believe.  ;)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#668 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 08:47 PM

Wait a minute, I'm confused.  Aren't they the same?  At least that's what the Donald wants us to believe.  ;)

Can you imagine a reporter asking Harbs that one? I'm sure in Harbaugh's eyes, its pretty close.

#669 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 09:28 PM

Newsome and DeCosta have given him a quality roster EVERY SINGLE SEASON.

Those last Flacco years were very suspect. 2016 and 2017 team were very mediocre.

#670 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, good call. I’ll try to latch on that to ease the tension for now. We need Kyle.

Trevor Lawrence was supposed to miss time yet he played Sunday against the Browns. We'll know soon enough.

#671 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 03:38 AM

Yeah, just call time out.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#672 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 07:32 AM

Trevor Lawrence was supposed to miss time yet he played Sunday against the Browns. We'll know soon enough.

A QB with limited mobility can still get the job done. Almost any other position with limited mobility cannot.
@BSLMikeRandall

#673 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 11 December 2023 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, just call time out.

I don't know if this is worth looking like a doofus but he got a full timeouts worth of time for the price of a 30 second timeout.

#674 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 12:49 PM

I don't know if this is worth looking like a doofus but he got a full timeouts worth of time for the price of a 30 second timeout.

Is that because the inept referee went to review the play, and took a minute to come back and say, actually, you can't challenge this? Feel like in another situation a ref sees the red flag, stops play, turns on the mic and makes the announcement, and then they reset without really giving a timeout. 

I mean, if more and more teams do this, and really game their way into a 90 second timeout on a crucial two-point play, then maybe Harbs in a Belichick way exploited a loophole. But that's quite a stretch and he doesn't get that benefit of the doubt. I think he just loses his marbles sometimes. He called a 9 point deficit a one score game once. He's a good leader of men, they employ good people often that make him look good. I don't think he brings anything to table otherwise. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#675 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 December 2023 - 12:53 PM

There’s zero chance he threw that flag cuz he thought it would be overturned. It was to take a time out and he bought himself extra time.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#676 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,483 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 01:08 PM

It all adds up to me. We know Harbaughs arent above bending or exploiting rules and procedures. Agree with Hallas that who knows if the juice was worth the squeeze but he ended up getting the extra time

#677 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 02:09 PM

There’s zero chance he threw that flag cuz he thought it would be overturned. It was to take a time out and he bought himself extra time.

We'll see if this tactic is employed more. I doubt it. The ref went through the review procedure for a minute even though they couldn't challenge it. A ref who knows the rules might just announce that it's not challengeable, charge the Ravens a time out without giving them the allotted "time out" time. 

If this is a loophole that catches on until the competition committee shuts it down this spring, then more power to him. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#678 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 02:15 PM

I find it hard to believe that John Harbaugh is playing 4D chess.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#679 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 02:50 PM

I find it hard to believe that John Harbaugh is playing 4D chess.

It's more like when Jason Kidd was out of time outs, so he had a player spill his water on the court for a cleaning crew time out. It happened to work, I guess, but you look really effing stupid, and it work ever work again, so why chose that moment to pull it out? Wait for a playoff game. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#680 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 11 December 2023 - 03:17 PM

Is that because the inept referee went to review the play, and took a minute to come back and say, actually, you can't challenge this? Feel like in another situation a ref sees the red flag, stops play, turns on the mic and makes the announcement, and then they reset without really giving a timeout.

I mean, if more and more teams do this, and really game their way into a 90 second timeout on a crucial two-point play, then maybe Harbs in a Belichick way exploited a loophole. But that's quite a stretch and he doesn't get that benefit of the doubt. I think he just loses his marbles sometimes. He called a 9 point deficit a one score game once. He's a good leader of men, they employ good people often that make him look good. I don't think he brings anything to table otherwise.

It's happened a couple times in the past. There is a legitimate concern that they're going to incorrectly flag you for a delay of game or unsportsmanlike conduct even though the rule specifically says that the price for throwing the challenge flag on an unreviewable play is a charged timeout. Given how bad reffing is in the league you can't take for granted that they will officiate correctly in unusual situations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=