#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 December 2023 - 04:57 PM

After finishing the regular season with a 7-5 (4-5) record, Maryland has accepted a bid to play in the TransPerfect Music City Bowl in Nashville, TN. This marks their third straight bowl appearance for the first time since 2006-08, and they'll have a chance to win a bowl game in three consecutive years for the first time in program history. Following bowl games against ACC opponents in 2016, 2021, and 2022, this will be their first non-ACC postseason opponent since facing off against Stanford in 2014.

They'll be playing against Auburn in this game, their first bowl appearance against an SEC team since the 2002 Peach Bowl. The Tigers finished this season with a 6-6 (3-5) record in their first year under head coach Hugh Freeze. They finished on a two-game losing streak following losses to New Mexico State and Alabama. Their offense is led by their rushing attack, which includes dual-threat QB Payton Thorne. Defensively, they've defended the pass better than the run this season.

This will be the fourth time these teams have met, and the first since 1982. Auburn won that game, and the one in 1958. Maryland's only win in the series came all the way back in 1952.

@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2023 - 05:17 PM

This will be the fourth time these teams have met, and the first since 1982. Auburn won that game, and the one in 1958. Maryland's only win in the series came all the way back in 1952.

That most recent game was actually in 1983. Auburn was ranked #3 going into that game. I think the Terps were #7. Auburn had an insane number of rushing yardage that day....well over 400. A chunk of them by some guy named Bo. Boomer had a good day for the Terps to keep it respectable (lost by 12), but you just can't win a game where you allow your opponent to run it down your throat like that.

That 1952 game was the year before MD won its only national championship. '52 was the last season of the Southern Conference, which was the ACC's predecessor. MD didn't play a conference schedule that year due to sanctions by the league, so they ended up playing a bunch of SEC teams that year.

One more note, which is apropos given the CFB events of earlier today. Back in those days, the polls crowned a national champion before the bowl games. The 1953 Champion Terps actually ended up losing their bowl to Oklahoma. However, you could call it payback, as in 1951 the Terps went 10-0 in the regular season, but finished #3 behind Tennessee (10-0) and Michigan State (9-0). But the Terps ended up beating Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl....but, too late. The Vols were already crowned.

Some things never change.

#3 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 05:25 PM

I'm taking UMD and the points in a straight out win. 

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 December 2023 - 06:42 PM

Auburn favored by 2.5. I’d take MD

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 07:21 PM

If Auburn hadn't given up that last-gasp touchdown in the Iron Bowl, would Maryland be playing Alabama? :)

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2023 - 08:03 PM

I think MD is better but Hugh Freeze with a month to prepare versus Lox is a huge advantage for them. Depends on who Auburn loses in the portal, but unfortunately I’d lean Auburn.

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 December 2023 - 08:18 PM

I think MD is better but Hugh Freeze with a month to prepare versus Lox is a huge advantage for them. Depends on who Auburn loses in the portal, but unfortunately I’d lean Auburn.

Maybe Locksley can send some burner phones down to ol' Hugh to distract him a bit. Call it an early Christmas gift.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 08:29 PM

Nice destination.  Some fans will want to go to Nashville.

Good time slot. 
Good 'name' opponent. 

Yep, totally have to see who is on the field for both squads in 3 weeks.
Going to play, might as well win.

Use the game as a spring board for portal additions, and to finish with the recruiting class. 

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:30 PM

CBS Sports: Ranking all 41 college football bowl games for 2023-24: Rose shines as all-timer with Orange, Sun intriguing

https://www.cbssport...sun-intriguing/

10. Music City Bowl: Auburn vs. Maryland

Saturday, Dec. 30, 2 p.m. -- There certainly isn't a shortage of bowl matchups between the Big Ten and SEC this year, and this is one of them! Maybe that sounds mean, but I do find this matchup to be interesting regardless of the records these teams bring with them into the game. When Maryland is good, Taulia Tagovailoa and company can put up points. Tagovailoa didn't become the Big Ten's new all-time leader in passing yardage because he can't fill up a box score. We've also got a team led by Hugh Freeze that wants to get the taste of a disappointing Iron Bowl out of its mouth and head into the offseason with positive feelings. This is one of those times when I think we see two motivated teams. I'm officially declaring this game as "sneaky good." Print it!

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 December 2023 - 12:17 PM

QB Taulia Tagovailoa has opted out of this game. Huge blow for Maryland after he initially said he planned to play. Expect Billy Edwards, Jr. to start behind center.

@BSLZackKiesel

#11 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 12:19 PM

Very odd. Likely the last meaningful game he'll ever participate in.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 12:49 PM

To those who got in on Auburn at -2, Merry Christmas.

• Mike in STL likes this

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 12:51 PM

Very odd. Likely the last meaningful game he'll ever participate in.

I kind of agree.  He has the potential to go to camp with someone next year (Miami?) and play his way into becoming a backup. Great if that happens for him. Pay your dues, keep working, and maybe there is ultimately an opportunity.  

But if he's drafted, he figures to be a 4th to 7th round guy.... and I think most would expect he goes undrafted and joins a team as UDFA. 

Might as well play imo.

On the other hand.... great opportunity for Edwards, etc to get more reps right now, and to go into the Spring with this game behind them.

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 December 2023 - 01:09 PM

Apparently it was Taulia’s father who’s been pushing him to opt out, for whatever that’s worth. Locksley did say Billy Edwards, Jr. and Cameron Edge would likely both play, so a big opportunity for both of those guys.
@BSLZackKiesel

#15 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 02:21 PM

Weird - if he plays well then he could really improve his draft outlook.  Anyway, have to now go with Auburn in a straight-out W. 

#16 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 02:26 PM

I mean, with transfer portal guys and guys opting out, most of these lower tier bowl games are nothing but an early exhibition for next season anyways.

#17 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 19 December 2023 - 05:55 PM

All the transfer portal and opt out crap is killing my interest in college sports, for real. No cap. The lack of any sense of responsibility to your team is disappointing. Don't care what anybody says, it's not a good character trait we should be encouraging.

Colleges should work in a tuition payback clause for guy that choose to opt out. If you have NIL money, then you eat the expense. Of course these young self centered adults would fake injuries I'm sure.

#18 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 07:09 AM

Yeah, I get those decisions for guys that have serious pro aspirations.  I don't like it but I get it.  But for a guy like Taulia, wouldn't you think it would just serve as a chance for him to show what he can do?

Weird decision.

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 12:11 PM

Taulia has 4 seasons (well, 3.5 if you don't count 2020 as a full season) of film on him, so I don't know that he stands to gain much from one more game in terms of what pro scouts think of him at this point. And the NFL has seemed to demonstrate they don't penalize players for choosing not to play a bowl game either.

Like Locksley said last year before getting that mayonnaise dumped on him, the perspective of these non-CFP bowl games has shifted from being the ending of one season to being the beginning of your next season.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 01:35 PM

Balt Sun: For Maryland QB Billy Edwards Jr., Music City Bowl looms as audition for 2024 starting job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=