https://www.mlb.com/...s=1701525460106

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 10:04 AM

He makes a lot of sense, even at high prices. We desperately need a RP in '24 and it's wildly exciting to imagine a Hader/Felix combo further into the future.

I can't say I'd definitely do it were I in Elias' position without knowing roughly what ownership investment will look like. But in a vacuum I'd happily throw $100M at Hader over throwing $40M at a mid-tier SP like Lorenzo or Flaherty.

#3 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 10:42 AM

Spending $100 million for Hader (not that it'll happen) might be fine for 2024, but moving forward he could become a $100 million setup man if Felix successfully comes back from Tommy John. I don't think Hader would relish that role, either; he would want to close, period. It's not always an easy transition from one role to the other. Two closers is one too many.

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 11:11 AM

Having two arms like Hader and Bautista at the back end significantly alters a baseball game.

Also, there's no guarantee that the Felix we see in 2025 and on is the same Felix we've seen pre TJS.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 11:30 AM

Having two arms like Hader and Bautista at the back end significantly alters a baseball game.

Also, there's no guarantee that the Felix we see in 2025 and on is the same Felix we've seen pre TJS.

Its likely Felix will have diminished velocity in '25. Command/control is also one of the things that usually is last to return after TJ. I wouldnt be counting on Felix to be a dominant back end guy in '25. If Hader were to sign here(unlikely) he would be the closer until his performance cost him the job. If it ever does cost him the job.

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 11:33 AM

Yup.

If Felix doesn't regain that 100+ MPH velocity he'll be a lot less likely to dominate as his command and offspeed stuff is still shaky at best. He dominated this year despite decent stretches where he had no split and couldn't command his FB to save his life.

#7 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 11:41 AM

Its likely Felix will have diminished velocity in '25. Command/control is also one of the things that usually is last to return after TJ. I wouldnt be counting on Felix to be a dominant back end guy in '25. If Hader were to sign here(unlikely) he would be the closer until his performance cost him the job. If it ever does cost him the job.

Hader is likely going to want the biggest contract ever for a reliever. That alone disqualifies him as far as the Orioles are concerned, but I can't see giving at least five years and $100 million for a replacement for Felix. If they do go outside the organization, it'll be for fewer dollars and a shorter term.

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 12:02 PM

Very likely its not Hader though I do think they sign one of the better back end guys available. But I dont have a clue what to expect from Felix in '25 or beyond. Would be wise to not just slot him in as the 9th inning guy in '25

#9 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 03 December 2023 - 12:14 PM

Spending $100 million for Hader (not that it'll happen) might be fine for 2024, but moving forward he could become a $100 million setup man if Felix successfully comes back from Tommy John. I don't think Hader would relish that role, either; he would want to close, period. It's not always an easy transition from one role to the other. Two closers is one too many.

The only reason I think he'd be ok with that role, is because he'll be earning closer money. That's really the reason being a closer is the ultimate BP role. Set up guys don't earn that kind of scratch.

Plus it allows the O's to utilize Brian Kenny's philosophy of putting your best arm in, when it's a high leverage situation, and still having an equally reliable guy to use in the 9th.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 01:48 PM

Hader isn't coming here. He's going somewhere where he's paid.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,894 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2023 - 01:55 PM

We haven't seen the full details of the bribe John Angelos pulled off with Gov. Moore. Can he use campaign donations to help pay for Hader? If not, might as well move on from this discussion. 

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,247 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2023 - 02:19 PM

No way they drop 9 figures on a RP, even a really good one. This is just one of those cases of an agent stirring up the market when the conversation probably consisted of nothing more than the most cursory of inquiries.

#13 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 02:26 PM

They should be in contact with any pitcher on the market, but I see no way of it happening. No way Angelos gives up what it will take, and no way Elias gives up the draft pick, maybe unless he is getting a very good deal on the contract, which isn't happening with the top RP on the market.

#14 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,456 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 December 2023 - 03:55 PM

The Orioles are interested in Josh hader.

The Orioles had reported interest in Aaron Nola.

In similarly likely news, I am very interested in dating ScarJo.

No way they drop 9 figures on a RP, even a really good one. This is just one of those cases of an agent stirring up the market when the conversation probably consisted of nothing more than the most cursory of inquiries.

Correct.  The Orioles will be tied to every pitcher because it serves the needs of that player/agent (a team with the perception of money and need) and it serves the Orioles purpose for the silly reaction by those 'considering it a possibility', in threads like this (here and elsewhere).

There are reasonable options that make sense (for the Orioles position and limited approach).  Hader isn't one of them.

#15 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,102 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 December 2023 - 04:59 PM

I want Robert Stephenson.
  • Mike B likes this

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 05:01 PM

Stephenson wouldn't have to preclude acquiring Hader. At least not in an alternate world where O's management was willing to commit resources commensurate with revenue streams.

I'd also assume that Stephenson wouldn't be closing games. So even if you land him, I think still need to acquire someone to close.

#17 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 December 2023 - 09:11 PM

Seems like some are making a pretty big assumption and that is bringing in Hader would mean he'd move to a setup role in 2025. Maybe Hader IS the closer and Bautista is a setup man!

#18 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 December 2023 - 08:34 AM

Hader would be a great help to the bullpen, but we aren't spending that kind of money so I'm not even going to dare to dream.

#19 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,470 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 08:48 AM

Hader got a QO, didn't he?

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members