92 replies to this topic

#81 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,735 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 11:32 AM

With that being said- just because you're super wealthy doesn't mean you should be obligated to fund your Alma Mater's athletic program.

These colleges are robbing kids blind on tuition and getting ridiculous amounts of money from TV deals and everything else.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#82 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,880 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 01:05 PM

I'm still amazed how Maryland cries poor with NIL money when they're literally sitting in one of the wealthiest areas in the country.

Does anyone not named Kevin Plank try to help the school?

It's not really crying poor if they don't have the same pool of money available as their competitors.

It's inane to criticize them for not spending money they don't have. However, it's completely fair to criticize them for not having a better organization in place to get more donations. I've been a season ticket holder in the recent past and I've never been called or emailed about donating to any NIL fund. I get plenty of emails about donations to the University in the general and the Aerospace school, so this is primarily a failing of the Athletic Department, IMO.

#83 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,735 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 01:12 PM

Who's ultimately responsible for that? Damon Evans?

#84 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,352 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 December 2023 - 01:19 PM

I got an email from Damon Evans on November 28th about donations to the One Maryland Collective, but that’s the first one I can recall receiving about NIL.
@BSLZackKiesel

#85 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 03:35 PM

It's way too early to begin the fire Willard talk, but it's almost inconceivable to see how poorly this roster was constructed.

And it's probably going to be a whole lot worse next year.

Like Stoner, I don't think the roster is all that bad or at least, shouldn't have been expected to be that bad.  Reese and Young are definitely Big 10 caliber players.

Donta Scott was, but I don't know what happened there.  I've never seen a MD player with as much experience as he has play as poorly as he has this year.  On both ends of the floor but on defense particularly.  It's almost like he's realized he won't be playing the NBA so he's just checked out.

And then the freshmen just haven't made any significant contributions when they were expected to.  

But ultimately, it's basketball and you have to, you know, make baskets.  At one point in the 2nd half last night Geronimo airballed a 3 and then Young got the rebound and airballed a 3.  Geronimino later airballed a FT and shortly thereafter Kaiser airballed a 3.  It's really hard to be that bad at the major D1 level.  Kaiser 5-28 from 3.  Harris-Smith 2-21.  Just horrendous.

#86 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,735 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 04:05 PM

Scott looked like a promising player after his sophomore year, never took the next step, then regressed as a Senior and now 5th year guy. Never been a fan or very impressed.

Reese and Young are definitely quality B10 players.

Harris-Smith has done a little, but no major impact. Kaiser has basically been a zero.

Geronimo dominates teams like South Alabama and Rider. He's atrocious against real competition.

Swanton-Rodgers as your only other post player is atrocious roster construction.

#87 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,880 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 04:19 PM

If the roster was that bad then there wouldn't have been expectations on the team coming into the year. The team is obviously massively disappointing, but I don't think the roster is one that was destined to doom the season to be a slog. Nobody actually thinks that. Nobody said so before the season that I recall seeing.

#88 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 04:29 PM

If the roster was that bad then there wouldn't have been expectations on the team coming into the year. The team is obviously massively disappointing, but I don't think the roster is one that was destined to doom the season to be a slog. Nobody actually thinks that. Nobody said so before the season that I recall seeing.

Alot of people were buying Willard's pre-season hype on the team and players.  Then the season started, and we all saw the truth. 

#89 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,735 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 04:55 PM

Maybe it was after last year overachieving, but I feel like we all should've seen this coming.

A lot depended on the freshman producing right away, and obviously they've struggled mightily, but this roster was seriously short and flawed after Young and Reese.

#90 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,476 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2023 - 08:07 PM

Still not the worst in the state, though! Navy is 360th.

I hope their shooting is more accurate where it counts.

• mdrunning likes this

#91 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 09:38 PM

Maybe it was after last year overachieving, but I feel like we all should've seen this coming.

A lot depended on the freshman producing right away, and obviously they've struggled mightily, but this roster was seriously short and flawed after Young and Reese.

The roster may not be ideal but they're still grossly underachieving.  That's the point.  Think they were picked by the media to finish 4th or so in the Big 10 preseason.  It wasn't MD homerism hype that thought they'd be better than this.  

I think Young and Reese have been OK.  Not great but OK.  Scott and the freshmen have been terrible.  I don't think there was any reason to expect that.

#92 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:07 PM

Scott wasn’t good last year either. We were too comfortable chalking it up to his decision to lose weight and get lean and transition to more of an athletic shooter. Clearly, it wasn’t that.

#93 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,735 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 12:47 AM

The same Villanova team that smoked us just got beat by powerhouse Drexel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=