#61 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:11 PM

It’s all scheduling too. I mean imagine if we didn’t have to play Davidson and UAB (who got blown out at home the other night against McNeese) in one weekend a couple weeks ago. We’d probably be ranked.

#62 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,670 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:34 PM

We’re last years Louisville club. This is awesome. Completely unacceptable.

Willard needs to go. A horrible hire. Try again.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#63 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 10:01 PM

Every ounce of optimism is dead. This is looking like the worst team in over 30 years.

Also, is Donta Scott the worst 3+ year starter in living memory? Anyone else ever play this much with such little impact? He's had some big moments but way more disappearances or frustrating nights.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 10:36 PM

Every ounce of optimism is dead. This is looking like the worst team in over 30 years.

Also, is Donta Scott the worst 3+ year starter in living memory? Anyone else ever play this much with such little impact? He's had some big moments but way more disappearances or frustrating nights.

He was honorable mention All Big Ten last year... but worst of 3 year starters? He could be in that discussion. He is a role player. Imagine most 3 year starters MD has had, have been more of a star at some point in their careers.

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 10:48 PM

He was honorable mention All Big Ten last year... but worst of 3 year starters? He could be in that discussion. He is a role player. Imagine most 3 year starters MD has had, have been more of a star at some point in their careers.

Glad you got the nuance I intended in the question. He's undoubtedly a good Terp, but compared to everyone else who has played nearly this much...He's basically a 5 year starter.

#66 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 December 2023 - 10:55 PM

Yeah, it’s concerning that a guy like Scott hasn’t developed much at all and has in fact seemed to regress this year. And now under the leadership of a coach who’s been hailed as a top-notch talent developer.

Willard did make some thinly veiled comments about his play after the game. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him start the next game on the bench. But it’s pretty sad that we’re less than a month into the season and things are already so bad he’s resorted to calling players out in the media.
@BSLZackKiesel

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 06:49 AM

Willard and Young post game:

https://247sports.co...S2AIoTRJesyEOqE

#68 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 08:17 AM

That was an easy pick; 2-16 from 3 (12%) - might as well be me out there shooting.  Oh well, it's going to be a long (in a bad way) season.  Minnesota has looked really good.  NW beat Purdue.  

#69 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 08:41 AM

DHS should not be starting anymore, Long or even Lamothe (can't be worse) should get the nod.  Right now, DHS is bringing nothing positive to the court.  This team is a mess offensively and defensively, and that's on Willard. 

#70 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,057 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 09:46 AM

And people here were praising Geronimo for looking good against UMBC and that other no name team they beat.

Didn't watch the game because of work but figured they'd lose. They're going to lose a lot of conference games.

They basically need Young, Reese, and Scott (who's also not very good) to be at their best to even have a chance.

The depth is horrendous. Swanton Rogers is your only depth inside? Dude probably isn't even a D1 talent.

I see Kaiser failed to make a single shot, too.

Total disaster.

#71 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,057 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 09:51 AM

It's way too early to begin the fire Willard talk, but it's almost inconceivable to see how poorly this roster was constructed.

And it's probably going to be a whole lot worse next year.

#72 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 09:55 AM

356th out of 362 D1 teams in three point shooting.

Still not the worst in the state, though! Navy is 360th.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#73 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 09:56 AM

It's way too early to begin the fire Willard talk, but it's almost inconceivable to see how poorly this roster was constructed.

And it's probably going to be a whole lot worse next year.

Willard is going nowhere (unless he chooses) for at least the next 3 years. 

#74 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,057 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:14 AM

Yep. Like it or not, unfortunately Willard is here to stay.

It's just a shame that Maryland basically had to settle for a guy who was OK, but not great at Seton Hall.

They couldn't even attract a young, up and coming coach.

Crap on Turgeon all you want but he always had more talented teams.

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:20 AM

I'm not to the point of being out on Willard. Think he's a good enough coach. But this is a disaster. Gotta do something in-season to at least be respectable and then full start over next year. Lot of work ahead of him. Portal makes a quick rebuild feasible, but any NIL limitations that Maryland might have means that route could be less fruitful than it should be. Pretty serious problems with the program, not all to do with coaching.

They overachieved last year, but then that raises expectations for this season. They're way further below expectations this year than they were over them a year ago. Backsliding stings.

#76 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,057 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:26 AM

I'm still amazed how Maryland cries poor with NIL money when they're literally sitting in one of the wealthiest areas in the country.

Does anyone not named Kevin Plank try to help the school?

#77 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 December 2023 - 11:20 AM

Does anyone not named Kevin Plank try to help the school?

Barry Gossett does as much (if not more) for Maryland than Plank. But other than those two, it’s mostly smaller-money donors than most other major schools have.
@BSLZackKiesel

#78 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 11:26 AM

On LinkedIn, I have 2,900 1st or 2nd degree connections who went to Maryland, and are CEO's. 

I'm 1st degree with 164. 

Looking at them.... knowing them...  some are a stretch to be called CEOs.  No billionaires that I'm connected to.
But many run companies that do 10M+ annual billing.

You can't make people open their checkbook, but I have to think there are some untapped relationships out there.

#79 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,057 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 11:29 AM

Didn't Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google, go to Maryland?

#80 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 December 2023 - 11:32 AM

Didn't Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google, go to Maryland?

Yes. He’s one of the university’s top donors, but to my understanding has no interest in funding athletics.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=