Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles free agent fits: Here are available players who make the most sense for Baltimore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,508 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:38 PM

Balt Sun: Orioles free agent fits: Here are available players who make the most sense for Baltimore

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,054 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 03:22 PM

Don't get your hopes up for any big FA signing. Eduardo Rodriguez ain't happening.

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,854 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 November 2023 - 11:34 PM

ERod.  I like ERod and would have been good trading for him last summer, getting the up close look and seeing what happens.....but he has red flags all over him.  He disappeared during the 2022 season and the Tigers didn't know where he was at one point.  Then he wants to pull the no-trade stunt last deadline?  Mental health, family, whatever, got it.  Hope he works everything out, but you aren't spending my 85M to get it done.

Giolito.  I wouldn't want Giolito under any condition.  I'd rather put Tyler Wells back in the rotation before adding Giolito.  Then tell me it costs me something.  Again, let someone else figure it out. 

Stroman.  I used to favor a Stroman deal.  I would have signed him to a 4 or 5 year deal when he signed the last 3 year contract, but I have zero interest in him now.  I'm all for guys having other interests, but when you tell me you think being able to identify wine as a Sommelier brings you the same [joy, feeling, whatever] as throwing 7 innings of 1-hit ball, I think you should just get out of the Game and go enjoy your Vineyard and branding.  His next contract will be about resourcing his passion and I'd question whether that's baseball.  Again, if I'm wrong cool, but I can get a Sommelier for a lot less than 85M and I don't need a Sommelier to win baseball games.  Like the 2 before, let someone else figure it out.

Wacha.  I feel like I'd rather just have Tyler Wells in the rotation than Wacha.  I guess it depends on where you have to go contractually,.  He's had 2 really good seasons, but been limited to 24 starts each year.  Stuff seems OK and he's got a lot of off-speed pitch value, so if he wanted to find his way to Baltimore, ok, I don't think he's the hammer I want, but if you think you can get more out of him, cool.  I wouldn't chase him with years or AAV.

Woodruff.  He'd be the guy I want.  He certainly has some risk too, but you have a significantly lower ante to figure that one out.  You still have to do something for 2024 (Burnes), but letting Woodburn rehab in 2024 and be the replacement for Burnes in 2025 with a Team option for extending him ('26-'28) would be the best risk-reward path for my money. 

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,854 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 November 2023 - 11:42 PM

Hicks.  I'd have traded for him last summer, but he's going to want something (years, AAV) that isn't interesting to me.

Neris, Pagan, Moore, Matsui....just not interested in any of those guys as the answer for the 9th.

Kimbrel.  Would be my answer.  Pretty easy to get a 1+1 type deal and bridge back to Bautista.  He's moving up several spots on the All-Time Saves list and needs a team to help get him there.  He needs to be the Closer, not added to a "we'll see" type closer situation.  Everyone blows saves, nobody freak out.

Robertson. He's probably a guy that should be on this list, but he'd be below the line I'd want in terms of expectations.  If he was the answer, hope he has a great year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=