570 replies to this topic

#521 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 12:05 AM

Mitchell was also explosive. Gotta include him.

I would agree that when used, he showed a lot of pop.  For some reason the Ravens don't want to give him a big load.   Only 9 carries and 2 receptions.  I would use him as the featured back and use Edwards as the battering ram.  I think Mitchell can be as good as Dobbins and since Dobbins can't stay on the field, Mitchell could be better.  

He was the best of the RBs and considering nobody had over 40 yards receiving he was as good as any of them.  But then the supposed MVP candidate QB only had 177 yards passing so it would have been hard for any receiver to have a big game.  

#522 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 12:35 AM

I'd say the Ravens are being conservative with Mitchell trying to keep him fresh for later in the season, but the Ravens are notorious for not utilizing their best playmakers so I refuse to give them that benefit of the doubt.

#523 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,444 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:01 AM

Have said it before, they dont trust any of these RBs to carry the load. Not even in the way a RB of this generation would carry the load.

#524 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:24 AM

I would agree that when used, he showed a lot of pop. For some reason the Ravens don't want to give him a big load. Only 9 carries and 2 receptions. I would use him as the featured back and use Edwards as the battering ram. I think Mitchell can be as good as Dobbins and since Dobbins can't stay on the field, Mitchell could be better.

He was the best of the RBs and considering nobody had over 40 yards receiving he was as good as any of them. But then the supposed MVP candidate QB only had 177 yards passing so it would have been hard for any receiver to have a big game.

He had the most touches in the game, for what it's worth. Not "featured back" level but it's something.

#525 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:43 AM

Not the prettiest, particularly from the offensive side of the ball, but there's no such thing as a bad win. Beats the hell out of the alternative.

• PrimeTime likes this

#526 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:12 AM

That moment between he and Zay after the bouquet toss was pretty damn great too. Awesome dude. Doesn’t seem to play his best in the biggest moments though.

Very fair point. The defense has shouldered the lion's share of the blame for the late lost leads (bonus points for alliteration) but the offense faltering late in games, via stalling or untimely turnovers, should be held equally culpable.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#527 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:55 AM

I mean, if you’re a Chargers fan - you don’t fall to 0-8 in games decided by 3 points or less - silver lining?

Thought the jinx was on when they showed the graphic.

#528 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:56 AM

Harbs said in the postgame that they didn't know that Agholor didn't pick up the first down, and didn't realize that it wasn't until after the next play.

He actually said that.

This dude adds absolutely nothing on game day aside from some cheerleading and pep talks.
  • NewMarketSean and Mike in STL like this

#529 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:59 AM

My only concern for the game is it seemed like Kalil Mack did whatever he wanted with our O line. At some point as a coach you have to realize your RT is outmatched and get him some help

#530 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:04 AM

Can't undersell Andrews' absence. There's going to be an adjustment period without him.

With that said, I would've like a more consistent commitment to the run. I suppose they saw something on film that lead us to attack them with the pass but things were a bit disjointed tonight.

Some of Andrews catches are long developing plays. They couldn't do that with Mack in the backfield every pass play. Don't know why they stopped throwing the slant, unless the D adjusted and closed it down. Can they please cut down on the WR screens,

• bmore_ken likes this

#531 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:19 AM

My only concern for the game is it seemed like Kalil Mack did whatever he wanted with our O line. At some point as a coach you have to realize your RT is outmatched and get him some help

Ravens OTs struggle with speed edge rush quite a bit. Mack has a good combo of speed and strength.

In fairness, the head coach can't even keep track of what down it is... you know, with him super busy not coordinating the offense or defense.
  • Mike in STL and bmore_ken like this

#532 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:28 AM

They were chipping and doubling him a lot. Broadcast even pointed it out at one point. Mack is a special talent. League has maybe 3 or 4 other edge rushers that can get after a QB as good or better than Mack.

#533 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:30 AM

Some of Andrews catches are long developing plays. They couldn't do that with Mack in the backfield every pass play. Don't know why they stopped throwing the slant, unless the D adjusted and closed it down. Can they please cut down on the WR screens,

Most of then were to Beckham. I'm wondering if he tapped out somewhat after taking some decent shots to that shoulder. Very possible L.A. started playing a zone in the middle as well to take it away.

#534 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:36 AM

They were chipping and doubling him a lot. Broadcast even pointed it out at one point. Mack is a special talent. League has maybe 3 or 4 other edge rushers that can get after a QB as good or better than Mack.

I must have misssed that because I sure didn't see it. 

#535 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:51 AM

Harbs said in the postgame that they didn't know that Agholor didn't pick up the first down, and didn't realize that it wasn't until after the next play.

He actually said that.

This dude adds absolutely nothing on game day aside from some cheerleading and pep talks.

Refs blew 2 1st down spots. The 1st was Lamar on the run where he stretched the ball out. Unless the ref thought he stepped out. The 2nd was the Agholor play where he had the ball at the marker then tumbled 2 yrds beyond it. Both were on the same side of the field.

• 85Knight likes this

#536 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:55 AM

I must have misssed that because I sure didn't see it. 

One of the tackles would block him and then Ricard. What they should have done was keep throwing to the side he was rushing from. On one play Likely acted to throw a block at him and then caught a quick pass for a nice gain.

#537 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:04 AM

Refs blew 2 1st down spots. The 1st was Lamar on the run where he stretched the ball out. Unless the ref thought he stepped out. The 2nd was the Agholor play where he had the ball at the marker then tumbled 2 yrds beyond it. Both were on the same side of the field.

The Lamar play, I believe the rule is "where the ball crosses the sideline" in the air, not where it is when his foot comes down out of bounds. I could be wrong but I thought the ref expert even said that afterwards. My kids were also talking at the time of his explanation so I might have misheard.  :)  Anyway, if I'm correct, that "where it crosses the line in the air" aspect is REALLY difficult to confidently overrule even on replay I think, unless you have a direct overhead view too.

The Agholor thing though, to me, is egregious on both sides, the ref spot and the Ravens lack of challenge. That seemed pretty obvious live. That said, when the chains don't move and the markers don't say 1st down, YOU HAVE TO REALIZE there is an issue as the head coach and do something about it. Him saying they (him / Ravens staff) didn't realize they hadn't given the first down is RIDICULOUS and incompetent. Same dude who took a useless timeout with him to the off-season at Foxboro back in Jan 2012 when the FG unit rushed on the field late (BECAUSE NOBODY REALIZED WHAT DOWN IT WAS).

Ugh. Same crap with him year after year. It's gonna bite them in the ass at the worst time unless the players just totally outplay teams in the playoffs from start to finish.

• PrimeTime likes this

#538 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:06 AM

The refs missed a couple of spots with the Ravens, but they also missed two very obvious calls that should have gone against the Ravens.  First they missed an obvious personal foul for hitting Herbert well after he was out of bounds and then compounded it when they tagged the Chargers with a personal foul for retaliating.  That cost the Chargers a first and goal that might have resulted in a TD.  Then they missed fair catch interference on a punt.

I think it's safe to say neither team was probably happy with the calls last night.  

• Mackus likes this

#539 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:14 AM

Seriously, enough of the WR/bubble screens. Without a doubt, my least favorite offensive play. I want Zay to just go out in the pattern and catch normal passes.

Regarding Andrews, there are definitely the deep crossing routes that take time but where Andrews and Lamar excel is against zone coverage. Andrews is really good at finding the soft spot and Lamar finds him. I'm not sure if anyone on the roster can semi-fill that void.

I mentioned it last week but I think we should bring up Vokolek from the practice squad. Especially now that we have the bye week to work on some things, I believe it's worth a shot.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#540 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:14 AM

The refs missed a couple of spots with the Ravens, but they also missed two very obvious calls that should have gone against the Ravens.  First they missed an obvious personal foul for hitting Herbert well after he was out of bounds and then compounded it when they tagged the Chargers with a personal foul for retaliating.  That cost the Chargers a first and goal that might have resulted in a TD.  Then they missed fair catch interference on a punt.

I think it's safe to say neither team was probably happy with the calls last night.  

Refs were pretty bad for sure. It definitely went a little bit both ways. Not calling the OOB hit on Herbert of course was HUGE. 4 point swing would have made a big difference maybe in how the final quarter of that game played out.

On the fair catch interference... I honestly don't know and probably won't look for details in the rulebook, but the only thing I can think of for NOT calling it (since it was SO obvious) was that the ball landed on the white boundary out of bounds.  Maybe the interpretation is up to the official that the ball wasn't really fair catchable, therefore there's nothing to interfere with??? Like a pass interference can be nullified if the refs think the ball was uncatchable. Just theorizing... the return man would have had to sort of tip toe the sideline and reach out of bounds to make that catch?  I dunno...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=