36 replies to this topic

#1 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 14 November 2023 - 07:46 PM

Guiding a team to 101 wins and the best record in the American League couldn’t be ignored by voters in the Baseball Writers’ Association of America.

Brandon Hyde was named AL Manager of the Year, with the news coming tonight on MLB Network. He was the only manager to appear on every ballot.

Hyde, a runner-up last year to the Indians’ Terry Francona, received 27 first-place votes and three second. The Rangers’ Bruce Bochy garnered the other three first-place votes and finished with 61 points.

The Rays’ Kevin Cash had 52, followed by the Twins’ Rocco Baldelli (eight), the Astros’ Dusty Baker (four) and the Blue Jays’ John Schneider (one).

Joe Maddon, a three-time recipient and close friend of Hyde’s, made the announcement. Hyde was on Maddon’s coaching staff when the Cubs won the World Series in 2016.

Hyde is the ninth Manager of the Year who didn’t play in the majors.

"It means our team had a really good year," he said on a video call with local media. "Just proud of what we've accomplished up to this point. This is definitely not an individual award. I don't look at it as that at all. I look at it as a team award. The entire coaching staff, really an organizational award for what we've done here in five years and what we've done here the last couple years.

"I thought we had a really special season, and to win 101 games in the big leagues is so hard to do. And how we fought for six months and continue to improve. I'm just really looking forward to next year already and just really proud of the year we had."

The Sporting News award has gone to Hyde in back-to-back years, an honor that comes from his peers.

The writers got it right tonight.

Hyde said he hadn't considered the number of first-place votes and how he won by such a large margin.

"Listen, those two guys that were up there as finalists, I have so much respect for," he said. "Kevin Cash is a great manager and is going to continue to be a great manager. And Bruce Bochy is Hall of Fame and somebody that I look up to as somebody I would like to be like someday. I'm just proud to be in that conversation, honestly. I'm proud to be on the same panel as guys that have done a lot of really cool things on this job."

https://www.masnspor...in-bbwaa-voting

#2 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 07:01 AM

Hyde isn't perfect, but his results with an actual major league roster are pretty good.

• Mike B likes this

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,430 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 07:29 AM

It took a year but finally JoyinMudville can rightfully proclaim Hyde a Manager of the Year. Now, Elias has to make sure that plays no factor in replacing him when the time is right.

#4 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 11:32 PM

It took a year but finally JoyinMudville can rightfully proclaim Hyde a Manager of the Year. Now, Elias has to make sure that plays no factor in repalcing him when the time is right.

How gracious of you. Your assessment of Hyde was wrong.

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 November 2023 - 11:37 PM

It took a year but finally JoyinMudville can rightfully proclaim Hyde a Manager of the Year. Now, Elias has to make sure that plays no factor in repalcing him when the time is right.

Savage lol.

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,385 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 November 2023 - 08:43 AM

Two things can be true at the same time and I think this is one of those cases.

1. Hyde is a GREAT manager to get a bunch of young kids believing in themselves and winning.

2. Hyde may not be a good enough in game manager to take a good team deep into the playoffs/WS.

• bmore_ken likes this

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,430 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 08:54 AM

Savage lol.

Hes an atrocious tactician. You all see it. The only ones who dont are family members like Joy

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 09:17 AM

Hes an atrocious tactician. You all see it. The only ones who dont are family members like Joy

Who are you replacing him with and if the Orioles don't win a WS who are you replacing them with and so on?

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,430 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 09:29 AM

It doesnt matter. All of the hypotheticals are better tactically. If he keeps winning reg season games he will survive. For awhile.

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 10:18 AM

I'm not a Hyde fanboy, but it is wild to me that a team that was projected to win games in the low 80s just won 101 along with the East and he gets zero credit.

Clearly something he's doing is working.
  • Mike B and JoyinMudville like this

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,385 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 November 2023 - 10:55 AM

I'm not a Hyde fanboy, but it is wild to me that a team that was projected to win games in the low 80s just won 101 along with the East and he gets zero credit.

Clearly something he's doing is working.

Please point to anybody, one single person, who has not given him some credit for that?

#12 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 12:47 PM

Please point to anybody, one single person, who has not given him some credit for that?

Have you read this thread?

#13 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 November 2023 - 09:06 PM

What he does for the clubhouse supersedes any strategic shortcomings, he can improve there. He never lost the clubhouse from 2019-2021 and had the team overperforming in 2022-2023.
  • ivanbalt likes this

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,430 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 09:10 PM

What he does for the clubhouse supersedes any strategic shortcomings, he can improve there. He never lost the clubhouse from 2019-2021 and had the team overperforming in 2022-2023.

Thats all narrative. You run a good clubhouse until that doesnt matter because the on field performance is lacking

#15 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 November 2023 - 10:00 PM

Thats all narrative. You run a good clubhouse until that doesnt matter because the on field performance is lacking

2019-2021… But obviously it’s different with expectations. He’s not bulletproof but he deserves a run here.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,430 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 10:04 PM

2019-2021… But obviously it’s different with expectations. He’s not bulletproof but he deserves a run here.

I was just mad with the Ravens. Im sure, for now, the positive clubhouse culture stuff is real. Im convinced hes not the guy to get this team over the hump though

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 November 2023 - 11:06 PM

A significant part of the game management comes from above Hyde but it's cute that some people ignore that.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,430 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 11:13 PM

The FO isnt making in game decisions. This is a way for some people to defend Hyde.

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 November 2023 - 11:18 PM

The FO isnt making in game decisions. This is a way for some people to defend Hyde.

They are though it's even been made public, but people with an agenda can't acknowledge that.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,430 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 11:48 PM

No it hasnt. They talk to Hyde pregame about matchups and such. There is no way you can twist that into they make in game in the moment decisions. You just cant gameplan for all potential scenarios and you know that. Nor is there some line Elias is calling down on to tell Hyde to do his bidding. They also acknowledge he has final decisions on everything. So even things like lineup construction is ultimately left up to him. This is all narrative that some of you want others to believe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=