Burnes is a stud.

#42 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 01:13 PM

This behind the pitcher camera is insane. Making me literally sick. Gotta love MASN.

Just mentioned that on the MASN thread too. Seriously mind blowing. I'm going to guess (yes, guess) that they don't have a cameraman running it live, ya know, to save money.

#43 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 04:58 PM

Still haven't seen the top 3 prospects: Johnson, McDermott and Povich. Looking forward to that.

#44 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:57 PM

All I wanted in the rotation was a move like they made with Burnes, but now with Bradish and Means dealing with injury concerns plus new ownership, please make a move for Montgomery or Snell!

#45 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 10:06 PM

I'd be OK going all in on a one-year contract. Burnes - Snell - Rodriguez would be a nasty top 3.

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 10:13 PM

I mean if the ownership change is really done by OD and there happens to be a FA out there there is some chance. But one of Snell or Montgomery is gonna end up in NY. Its a given unless another team  caves on what Boras wants.

#47 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 09:49 PM

Jordan Montgomery is a decent pitcher with a 38-34 lifetime record and a 3.68 ERA who was supernatural for 6 weeks or so. He's not remotely worth what Boras is asking.

Snell was great last year. But he never won more than 8 games over the previous a 4 year period and twice had ERA of over 4.00 during that time. I'm glad MLB is finally showing some sense on these two.

Neither one is as good as Bradish or Burnes and maybe not even Grayrod.O's w/b stupid to give either the ridiculous contract being demanded.

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:30 PM

Jordan Montgomery is a decent pitcher with a 38-34 lifetime record and a 3.68 ERA who was supernatural for 6 weeks or so. He's not remotely worth what Boras is asking.

Snell was great last year. But he never won more than 8 games over the previous a 4 year period and twice had ERA of over 4.00 during that time. I'm glad MLB is finally showing some sense on these two.

Neither one is as good as Bradish or Burnes and maybe not even Grayrod.O's w/b stupid to give either the ridiculous contract being demanded.

Considering Spring Training is well underway, I don't think they have to come close to what Boras was asking to land one of them.

#49 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:45 PM

Make Montgomery a two year deal he can't refuse. He'd be a perfect mid-rotation starter on a WS caliber team. Hell, he just was. He just punched waaay above his weight last year. 

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 11:30 PM

Realistically, Id look at Lorenzen for some depth. We know he can pitch out of the pen if there is no need for him to start

#51 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 February 2024 - 11:33 AM

Montgomery has almost identical stats to Bradish and has been doing it for a longer period of time. And he ain't hurt! Plus Montgomery is LH which is a big plus over Bradish being RH. Not dissing Bradish at all but I think you are over rating him and under rating Montgomery. I'd love to see them both in the O's rotation.

https://stathead.com...tm_id=montgjo01

#52 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 12:22 PM

I'd take either Snell or Montgomery because I fear we won't see or get much from Bradish this year. I think we'll be OK regardless, but having another quality starter can't hurt.
  • 85Knight likes this

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 02:41 PM

Burnes gave up a 3-run bomb in the first today then couldn't get out of the 2nd.  His ERA is sitting at just over 10 for the spring. Time to panic! :)

• 85Knight likes this

#54 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 03:07 PM

Kimbrel gave up a HR in his inning of work too. Great offseason Elias

#55 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 04:08 PM

folks...

#56 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 04:28 PM

Montgomery has almost identical stats to Bradish and has been doing it for a longer period of time. And he ain't hurt! Plus Montgomery is LH which is a big plus over Bradish being RH. Not dissing Bradish at all but I think you are over rating him and under rating Montgomery. I'd love to see them both in the O's rotation.

Except Bradish is just starting and on the way up assuming he regains his health. Montgomery has been mediocre with only 38 wins through a 6-year career in which the most he has ever won in a year is 10 games. MLB Trade Rumors has him getting $150 million over 6 years. Should the Orioles give him a ridiculous contract like that?

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 04:40 PM

Montgomery has not been mediocre. He's very good and basically always has been (when healthy) and then was great last year.

I'd have zero issues with 6/$150M for Montgomery. I'd worry about the last couple years, but worth the squeeze. I'd rather extend Burnes for 9/$325M though, so if signing Montgomery eliminates that chance I might stay away. But ownership/management knows if they're willing to do that, and if not, adding Monty insulates against Bradish having a bad injury result and against Burnes & Means leaving after the year.

#58 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 04:47 PM

You can have that Burnes contract, too. He'd still be pitching at 37.

Wouldn't it be better to spend this money to extend core guys Rutschman, Henderson, etc.???

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 05:04 PM

You can have that Burnes contract, too. He'd still be pitching at 37.

Wouldn't it be better to spend this money to extend core guys Rutschman, Henderson, etc.???

Yes, I'd rather extend the position players if I had to choose, but I think we can afford to do more than one or two deals.

I don't, however, think Rutschman or Henderson will agree to any deal we'd be be willing to offer. That likely goes for Burnes as well right now. Montgomery I think might say yes.

#60 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:09 AM

Except Bradish is just starting and on the way up assuming he regains his health. Montgomery has been mediocre with only 38 wins through a 6-year career in which the most he has ever won in a year is 10 games. MLB Trade Rumors has him getting $150 million over 6 years. Should the Orioles give him a ridiculous contract like that?

1. Who do you think provides more value in 2024? My money would be on Montgomery. Hope like heck I am wrong but we'll see.

2. You use wins as some metric which is silly for SP. Much better things to look at.

3. Montgomery has been "mediocre." Based on what? A career 3.68 era? Good grief I'll take an entire rotation of that kind of mediocrity.

So yes I'd be ok with a contract like 6 for $150M.

• Mackus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=