449 replies to this topic

#401 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 11:10 AM

Doesn't look that tough to me. If they play the gameplan that works. Heavy on the running, The Chargers and Rams should be wins. That gets them to 10 wins.  The Dolphins seems to have beat up on weak teams , so I'm not that worried about them especially with our defense. The 49ers record is inflated by a weak division. Their biggest win was the Jags? Maybe the Cowboys depending on which team you think is better. and i don't see our receivers drop three more TDs against PIT. Not that I'm saying they'll  run the table, just that it doesn't look that tough to me. But of course, there's the Harbaugh factor sadly

I would agree that if the Ravens execute their gameplan they can beat everyone remaining on their schedule.  Probably anyone in the league except KC and maybe Philly.  But we have evidence that confirms they don't always do that.   And so far, what team is considered the Ravens biggest win?  Detroit?  I guess, but they are probably in as weak of a division as the 49ers.  They might advance in the playoffs, but mostly because they play in a conference that really only has 1 solid team and a few other good ones.  The Ravens proved you can turn Jared Goff into a pretty bad QB with a little pressure.  

I think my point is not to say the Steelers have a better chance at the division, because they really are mostly an average team.  But just to say they have a legitimate shot because they are an average team that will play two bottom feeders, 3 division games with horrible backup QBs, and 2 other average team before playing the Ravens.  If they really focus, they could run the table prior to the last week because of their easy schedule.  On the other hand, if the Ravens lose focus, any of the teams they play are capable of taking advantage. 

I would still bet the Ravens to win the division if I had to bet.  But before last weekend I would have laughed at the idea that the Steelers could win the division.  Now, maybe not so much.  

#402 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 11:20 AM

Again its all true, but no one cares if Pitt gets in or wins the division. You cant worry about what other teams do. Its even less concerning what other crappy teams do.
  • cprenegade likes this

#403 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 11:22 AM

Steelers have been the luckiest team in football for years. They haven't won a playoff game since 2016.

They navigated through the end of the Roethlisberger era without a losing season and a couple of one and done playoff appearances when he could barely throw the ball.

Now they've got JAG Kenny Pickett, a poor OL, an overhyped RB in Najee Harris, and one good WR.

Is there even anyone on that defense besides Watt and Fitzpatrick?

It's literally amazing they're eeking out close wins week after week.

#404 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 11:33 AM

Steelers have been the luckiest team in football for years. They haven't won a playoff game since 2016.

They navigated through the end of the Roethlisberger era without a losing season and a couple of one and done playoff appearances when he could barely throw the ball.

Now they've got JAG Kenny Pickett, a poor OL, an overhyped RB in Najee Harris, and one good WR.

Is there even anyone on that defense besides Watt and Fitzpatrick?

It's literally amazing they're eeking out close wins week after week.

Ricker knows numerous Steelers fans. I ask him all the time like how much of this is fooling Steelers fans into thinking they are better than they are or that Pickett is much better than he is. Id love a scenario where they somehow fool themselves into giving Pickett a 2nd contract

#405 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 02:47 PM

Again its all true, but no one cares if Pitt gets in or wins the division. You cant worry about what other teams do. Its even less concerning what other crappy teams do.

Agreed.  And the funny thing is there are several scenarios where Pittsburgh wins the division and gains the #4 seed while the Ravens would be the #5 seed and go to Pittsburgh.  There are also several scenarios where the Ravens win the division as the #3 or #4 seed and end up playing a Buffalo team that sneaks in or a Miami team that slips in the standings.  Given those scenarios I think I would rather play an offensively challenged Pittsburgh team over hosting a Buffalo team that has figured out its issues or the high powered Dolphins.  Although Miami coming North in January is always challenging for them.  

There is also a scenario where the Bengals sneak into the playoffs and come to Baltimore, but I think we can safely eliminate that one now.  

#406 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, I am with you that its annoying that Pitt seemingly gets these breaks and might laughably win the division. But ultimately I dont care. You got to win tough games in the playoffs no matter where they are played. Pitt, on paper at least, is one of the easiest matchups

#407 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 03:03 PM

Ricker knows numerous Steelers fans. I ask him all the time like how much of this is fooling Steelers fans into thinking they are better than they are or that Pickett is much better than he is. Id love a scenario where they somehow fool themselves into giving Pickett a 2nd contract

I'm not sure what to think about Pickett.  Even though they tried to upgrade, Pittsburgh's Oline is still not very good.  And their OC is worse than Raven's fans thought Greg Roman was.  Pittsburgh's whole philosophy appears to be don't let Pickett throw an int even if it means punting on every drive through 3 quarters.  Despite that, he has made some clutch throws in the 4th quarter that have won them some games.  

Does Pickett look so bad at times because they keep him so chained down most of the time, or do they chain him down because he isn't that good?  And if he isn't that good, how does he turn into a clutch player once it hits the 4th quarter.  Through Oct. 23 he has completed 73% of his passes, averaging 10.1 yards per attempt, for a QB rating of 102.8 along with several late wins.  

I have only seen him in the Ravens game and the Sunday night game against Las Vegas.  Both were wins.  I don't see anything that makes me believe he will suddenly ascend to be a tier 1 QB, but I just don't know if that is more about him or more about Pittsburgh's offense in general.  

#408 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 03:47 PM

I'm not sure what to think about Pickett.  Even though they tried to upgrade, Pittsburgh's Oline is still not very good.  And their OC is worse than Raven's fans thought Greg Roman was.  Pittsburgh's whole philosophy appears to be don't let Pickett throw an int even if it means punting on every drive through 3 quarters.  Despite that, he has made some clutch throws in the 4th quarter that have won them some games.  

Does Pickett look so bad at times because they keep him so chained down most of the time, or do they chain him down because he isn't that good?  And if he isn't that good, how does he turn into a clutch player once it hits the 4th quarter.  Through Oct. 23 he has completed 73% of his passes, averaging 10.1 yards per attempt, for a QB rating of 102.8 along with several late wins.  

I have only seen him in the Ravens game and the Sunday night game against Las Vegas.  Both were wins.  I don't see anything that makes me believe he will suddenly ascend to be a tier 1 QB, but I just don't know if that is more about him or more about Pittsburgh's offense in general.  

Re: the 4th quarter, it's 49 passes. He was awful in the 4th quarter last year in far more attempts, 69 rating in 120 passes, so he's not inherently clutch. I say it's sample size.

I can see the argument that no one is going to flourish in that offense. 

• cprenegade likes this

#409 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 12:01 AM

Cincy has given him the Carr treatment. Had Higgins and Boyd, but it was more important for them to grab another WR in Chase than it was to grab a top tackle prospect in Sewell. As soon as Burrow showed his talent translated, Cincy should have went all out to build him an offensive line.

To be fair, I think Burrow's game will age better.

#410 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 07:57 PM

I disagree.

The guy has left himself open to more direct hits than Lamar. You really think all of the hits are terrible O-line play or bad luck? Burrow holds the ball. He moves around the pocket trying to make a play. And he gets himself hit more than Lamar. The fact that Lamar takes more hits because he's mobile is a fallacy. On top of that, Burrow has proven he is just as injury prone, if not more, than Lamar.

On top of that, Lamar has been one of the better intermediate passers in the NFL. And has proven he can stand in the pocket and be extremely productive.

#411 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:54 PM

I disagree.

The guy has left himself open to more direct hits than Lamar. You really think all of the hits are terrible O-line play or bad luck? Burrow holds the ball. He moves around the pocket trying to make a play. And he gets himself hit more than Lamar. The fact that Lamar takes more hits because he's mobile is a fallacy. On top of that, Burrow has proven he is just as injury prone, if not more, than Lamar.

On top of that, Lamar has been one of the better intermediate passers in the NFL. And has proven he can stand in the pocket and be extremely productive.

Hes a Lamar hater

#412 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 November 2023 - 10:34 PM

I'm not sure what to think about Pickett. Even though they tried to upgrade, Pittsburgh's Oline is still not very good. And their OC is worse than Raven's fans thought Greg Roman was. Pittsburgh's whole philosophy appears to be don't let Pickett throw an int even if it means punting on every drive through 3 quarters. Despite that, he has made some clutch throws in the 4th quarter that have won them some games.

Does Pickett look so bad at times because they keep him so chained down most of the time, or do they chain him down because he isn't that good? And if he isn't that good, how does he turn into a clutch player once it hits the 4th quarter. Through Oct. 23 he has completed 73% of his passes, averaging 10.1 yards per attempt, for a QB rating of 102.8 along with several late wins.

I have only seen him in the Ravens game and the Sunday night game against Las Vegas. Both were wins. I don't see anything that makes me believe he will suddenly ascend to be a tier 1 QB, but I just don't know if that is more about him or more about Pittsburgh's offense in general.

Pickett when he’s not chained down: https://x.com/benjam...60M8ZOe1IyiordQ

He’s bad bro. But I hope the Steelers org is as confused as you are about that matter 😂.
  • makoman likes this

#413 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 10:39 PM

Re: the 4th quarter, it's 49 passes. He was awful in the 4th quarter last year in far more attempts, 69 rating in 120 passes, so he's not inherently clutch. I say it's sample size.

I can see the argument that no one is going to flourish in that offense. 

His performance today would seem to put him in last year's sample size.  It wasn't pretty.  

#414 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 10:49 PM

He’s bad bro. But I hope the Steelers org is as confused as you are about that matter .

You could be right on both counts.  Pittsburgh has a history of sticking with people, coaches, QBs, whatever, way past what most other teams would do.  Their QB history from Bradshaw to Roethlisburger is ugly.  Best of that bunch might have been Neil O'Donnell.  That's ugly.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#415 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 November 2023 - 11:01 PM

You could be right on both counts. Pittsburgh has a history of sticking with people, coaches, QBs, whatever, way past what most other teams would do. Their QB history from Bradshaw to Roethlisburger is ugly. Best of that bunch might have been Neil O'Donnell. That's ugly.

They love their weird meta flexes. It’s strange. But as long as it keeps them from legitimately contending, I’ll allow it.

#416 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 11:18 PM

He’s bad bro. But I hope the Steelers org is as confused as you are about that matter 😂.

ROFL. Whopper JR
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#417 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 November 2023 - 01:55 AM

What happens if he pinches a nerve like Peyton did taking a million sacks a year, and can't throw it more than 30 yards down field anymore?

#418 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 November 2023 - 02:09 AM

I disagree.

He's got the best PFF grade between 10 and 19 yards for 2 straight years now. Not "one of the better," one of the best.
  • Biggsy likes this

#419 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 09:26 AM

Jackson is a top tier NFL QB. No question or debate about it in my mind. The team's record with him starting is one of the best winning percentages ever. The team's record when he isn't playing is almost complete opposite, and there is no supporting that as some coincidence. He overcomes a lot of deficiencies and mistakes by the guys wearing headsets.

He is not perfect. He will make 1 to 3 plays or decisions a game that open the door for an opponent to take advantage. But there are so few in the league currently that give you a better chance...

#420 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 09:30 AM

"Is Joe Burrow's style of play sustainable in the NFL?" 

Why is no one asking this question? They do about Lamar. 

• Biggsy likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=