444 replies to this topic

#421 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 05:33 PM

All we need is Lamar’s season ending injury on Thursday and the season will be complete. All boxes will have been checked.

Probably coming in the next week or two.

#422 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 05:47 PM

Watching other good teams around the league, and there is one obvious difference in their offenses. They find a way to get the ball into their best players hands. Chase, Hill, Lamb, St. Brown, Deborah, Kamara ect. These teams give those guys their chances.

Ravens seem intent on limiting the amount of touches their best playmakers recieve. Monken's playcalling can also be infuriating. Every play doesn't need to be some well thought out big play. Sometimes you just have to strap them up and grind it out.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#423 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 07:15 PM

Harbs with another double digit lead blown on his resume. This time 14 with 11 minutes left. He is and will remain the biggest constant game day liability, and hinderance to playoff success. Until the day Bisciotti finally sees the light. Monday thru Saturday is great, but Sunday afternoon matters too.

#424 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,083 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:28 PM

Is there any other team that blows late leads as frequently? I know with the way the league is now it happens way more often, so comparing Harbaugh to Billick who it never (perhaps literally) happened to isn't fair. But how's he compare to his peers? Two or three times a year feels absolutely wild.

#425 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:34 PM

Is there any other team that blows late leads as frequently? I know with the way the league is now it happens way more often, so comparing Harbaugh to Billick who it never (perhaps literally) happened to isn't fair. But how's he compare to his peers? Two or three times a year feels absolutely wild.

Broadcast a week or two ago showed a graphic with about 3 different stat lines where the Ravens lead the NFL in a VARIETY of second half blown leads since 2021.

#426 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:36 PM

I took a pic... Here ya go...

- 5 LOSSES WITH DOUBLE-DIGIT LEAD SINCE START OF 2022 (T-MOST IN NFL)

8 LOSSES WITH 7+ PT 4th QTR LEAD SINCE 2021 (MOST IN NFL)

10 LOSSES WHEN LEADING ENTERING 4th QTR SINCE 2021 (MOST IN NFL)
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#427 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:38 PM

Just add one more to those numbers thanks to today...

And this ignores previous seasons, including two AFC playoff games lost with a 14 point second half lead... and SB 47 where Harbs and company let a 22 point lead dwindle down to needing a goal line stand to hold on.

It. Is. Coaching. Or lack thereof.

#428 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:58 PM

...Ravens seem intent on limiting the amount of touches their best playmakers receive...

Fascinating isn't it? Mitchell has shown speed in the backfield beyond anything we've seen in the Ravens backfield in a long time. He's made several big plays in very limited touches. And yet he completely disappears from the game plan after making two huge plays thanks to his speed.

You don't see the Dolphins taking Tyreek Hill out of the game inexplicably. No, they keep trying to maximize his strengths from start to finish, and it's on the OPPONENT to stop him. Not saying Mitchell is Tyreek Hill, but that he presents a speed strength and potential mismatch... And then literally disappears from action.

REMEMBER a playoff game in Cincy last season where Gus Edwards stood on the sideline while Andrews got a carry and Ricard got a pass target near the goal line. Then Huntley plays Greatest American Hero (you gotta know the show to get it) and 10 seconds later their season is basically over.

They limit themselves. Over and over. And John oversees it week after week.
  • Mike in STL and bmore_ken like this

#429 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 09:02 PM

Harbs on Mitchell's absence after two big plays early: "No, it's just kind of the way it went as far as the play calling. It wasn't a part of the plan or anything like that."

#430 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 09:05 PM

Just kind of the way it went as far as play calling? He's likely your 2nd or 3rd best player maker.

#431 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 09:11 PM

Still no word on Humphrey. I'd be shocked if it isn't a significant injury. No contact. Immediately grabbed for the back of his foot.

#432 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 09:45 PM

I took a pic... Here ya go...

- 5 LOSSES WITH DOUBLE-DIGIT LEAD SINCE START OF 2022 (T-MOST IN NFL)

8 LOSSES WITH 7+ PT 4th QTR LEAD SINCE 2021 (MOST IN NFL)

10 LOSSES WHEN LEADING ENTERING 4th QTR SINCE 2021 (MOST IN NFL)

I put some of the blame on Harbuagh for the blown leads, but not all of it.  The buck does stop with him since he is the HC, but it's not all on him.  There is another constant.  Who is the quarterback?  Certainly can't put all of the blame on Lamar, but he does own some culpability in these losses.

Last year, 4th Q blown loss against the Giants.  It was a Lamar interception after he was scrambling backwards and threw up a prayer that helped fuel that comeback. 

Blown loss to Buffalo last year after having a big lead at home.  Lamar throws two 4th Q picks, one in the end zone with the game tied at 20 and about 4 minutes left on the clock.  Buffalo drives for the game winning FG.

Today after Cleveland cut the lead to 31-24 with 8 minutes left, the Ravens needed a clock eating drive that maybe ends in a FG to ice the game.  Instead Lamar bounced a throw off of the helmet of a lineman that resulted in a pick 6.  It was only because of the missed  XP that the game wasn't tied then.  After that, again needing a time consuming drive, they get a 6 play 16 yard drive and a punt that gave Cleveland the ball back needing only a FG with just under 5 minutes left.  You know the rest.

And sure the defense owns some of it for not being able to get a stop in crunch time.  But I've got a QB making 50 million a year.   He's got to do better in pressure situations.  

#433 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 10:02 PM

Harbs on Mitchell's absence after two big plays early: "No, it's just kind of the way it went as far as the play calling. It wasn't a part of the plan or anything like that."

Complete horseshit response from a spectator. Can’t wait til him and his idiot family are gone.
@BSLMikeRandall

#434 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 10:44 PM

I put some of the blame on Harbuagh for the blown leads, but not all of it. The buck does stop with him since he is the HC, but it's not all on him. There is another constant. Who is the quarterback? Certainly can't put all of the blame on Lamar, but he does own some culpability in these losses.

Last year, 4th Q blown loss against the Giants. It was a Lamar interception after he was scrambling backwards and threw up a prayer that helped fuel that comeback.

Blown loss to Buffalo last year after having a big lead at home. Lamar throws two 4th Q picks, one in the end zone with the game tied at 20 and about 4 minutes left on the clock. Buffalo drives for the game winning FG.

Today after Cleveland cut the lead to 31-24 with 8 minutes left, the Ravens needed a clock eating drive that maybe ends in a FG to ice the game. Instead Lamar bounced a throw off of the helmet of a lineman that resulted in a pick 6. It was only because of the missed XP that the game wasn't tied then. After that, again needing a time consuming drive, they get a 6 play 16 yard drive and a punt that gave Cleveland the ball back needing only a FG with just under 5 minutes left. You know the rest.

And sure the defense owns some of it for not being able to get a stop in crunch time. But I've got a QB making 50 million a year. He's got to do better in pressure situations.

Harbaugh isnt the one out there with the ball security issues. But he does his team no favors by not making sure they do things like take as much time off the clock as possible. Remind them when they absolutely can’t take a sack.

He empowers his players and staff to a fault which makes him a great guy and maybe lets him off the hook a bunch. But he overthinks things too much. He said after a game one he doesn’t run the play clock out to eat up clock because defenses will jump the snap. Ok. So snap it on 3,1,3,2. Not 12, 8, 11.

His logic on some things just isn’t sound. Like this BS excuse for Mitchell not playing more.
@BSLMikeRandall

#435 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 10:47 PM

Thing with Harbs is... yes, players have to execute, I get it. But the coach should be directing a game plan in a manner that gives them the best chance to win too. In general, the repeated tendencies to 1) throw too much when leading later in the game, and 2) not emphasize getting the ball to playmakers... Is too much. WAY too much. I haven't looked at play by play myself to confirm, but I saw a post somewhere that their second half rushing attempts by RBs totaled 5. 5 RB carries total in the second half of a game where they NEVER TRAILED until the clock hit triple zeroes. Why is that acceptable? Why does he continue to get a pass? It's bucking mind boggling...
  • Mike in STL likes this

#436 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 11:34 PM

But he overthinks things too much. He said after a game one he doesn’t run the play clock out to eat up clock because defenses will jump the snap.

I'm in agreement that Harbaugh is not a very good game day coach.  I've said this for the better part of a decade.  The best coaches in the game get a feel for the game.  They use analytics, they don't rely on them.  They also don't get caught up in the emotion of the moment like Harbaugh does.  You don't go on 4th down because your QB wants to do that.   

And the statement about not running the play clock down because defenses will jump the snap........one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.  Every week I see teams with leads do that.  How is it that the rest of the NFL has figured out how not to let the defenses jump the snap in that situation? 

#437 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 11:48 PM

Harbaugh isnt the one out there with the ball security issues. But he does his team no favors by not making sure they do things like take as much time off the clock as possible. Remind them when they absolutely can’t take a sack.

He empowers his players and staff to a fault which makes him a great guy and maybe lets him off the hook a bunch. But he overthinks things too much. He said after a game one he doesn’t run the play clock out to eat up clock because defenses will jump the snap. Ok. So snap it on 3,1,3,2. Not 12, 8, 11.

His logic on some things just isn’t sound. Like this BS excuse for Mitchell not playing more.

It's insanity. Read that he has 3 runs of 30 yards or more, which is second in the NFL this season, and he only has 12 carries. How in the world can a guy show that kind of quickness, make big play after big play right away when given the ball... then spend the rest of the game basically watching and cheering like Harbs? It's IN. EX. CUS. A. BLE. But this has been a CONSTANT occurrence under John here basically his ENTIRE reign as head coach.

Dude is second in the NFL in long rush attempts, makes two HUGE plays today, then spends Failure Time (also know as Harbs In The Second Half Of A Game) watching.

Like Gus did at Cincy back in January.

Pass. The azzhole gets a pass week after week, month after month, year after year.

#438 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 11:50 PM

Wonder if Mitchell was in the doghouse after he missed the TD reception? Dude's maybe the most explosive playmaker on the field, if not 2nd behind Flowers. Absolutely no logical reason that he only touched the ball 4 or 5 times today.

#439 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 11:52 PM

Wonder if Mitchell was in the doghouse after he missed the TD reception? Dude's maybe the most explosive playmaker on the field, if not 2nd behind Flowers. Absolutely no logical reason that he only touched the ball 4 or 5 times today.

No rhyme or reason to it. Never has been, never will be. But it'll keep happening. Guaranteed.

#440 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 13 November 2023 - 05:14 AM

I put some of the blame on Harbuagh for the blown leads, but not all of it. The buck does stop with him since he is the HC, but it's not all on him. There is another constant. Who is the quarterback? Certainly can't put all of the blame on Lamar, but he does own some culpability in these losses.

Last year, 4th Q blown loss against the Giants. It was a Lamar interception after he was scrambling backwards and threw up a prayer that helped fuel that comeback.

Blown loss to Buffalo last year after having a big lead at home. Lamar throws two 4th Q picks, one in the end zone with the game tied at 20 and about 4 minutes left on the clock. Buffalo drives for the game winning FG.

Today after Cleveland cut the lead to 31-24 with 8 minutes left, the Ravens needed a clock eating drive that maybe ends in a FG to ice the game. Instead Lamar bounced a throw off of the helmet of a lineman that resulted in a pick 6. It was only because of the missed XP that the game wasn't tied then. After that, again needing a time consuming drive, they get a 6 play 16 yard drive and a punt that gave Cleveland the ball back needing only a FG with just under 5 minutes left. You know the rest.

And sure the defense owns some of it for not being able to get a stop in crunch time. But I've got a QB making 50 million a year. He's got to do better in pressure situations.

The blown leads in the second half have been happening before Lamar was here. It's been a common theme under Harbaugh. Everyone would blame the DC or the OC. We've cycled through them with the same issue. There has been once constant. It's Harbaugh. He makes bad decisions. He wastes TO's due to terrible clock management. He allows vets to get away with anything, while benching young players for simple mistakes anyone could make. He doesn't hold his coordinators responsible, and he constantly allows them to make terrible decisions. Like allowing Wink to maintain his cover-0 blitz happy system when he had garbage men playing CB. Or allowing Roman to continue to use an under-developed passing scheme, and now allowing Monken to continue to abandon the run with a lead, and make horrid playcalls in FG range that move us backwards and out of FG Range.

I was always neutral with Harbaugh. I think he's a good coach. But he's done here. It happens. Even Reid had to move on from Philly.

It's time to get some new blood at the top.
  • Ravens2006 and 85Knight like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=