#1 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 November 2023 - 11:12 AM

Kind of the obvious follower to the Closer discussion and some Starter discussion too, but the 2024 Bullpen is an interesting group that seems to leave everyone wanting more.  The problem is, I think everything you do is going to leave you wanting more.

Cano's role probably starts the Bullpen discussion.  If he's the Closer in Bautista's absence, then he's not in this group.

You have a similar (article elsewhere) discussion with Tyler Wells and DL Hall.  If they are starters, OK, but if they aren't then they are in the Bullpen and that starts to create some depth quickly.

If all 3 of those guys wind up Bullpen (not Closer, not Starter) then you start to look something like

RH Cano

RH TWells

RH Baumann (0 option)

RH Webb (0 option)

LH Perez (0 option)

LH Coulombe

LH Hall

That's 7 guys and you have others including a layer that may need to be cleaned up on the 40 shortly.

RHs Baker, Tate

LHs Irvin, Zimmermann (0 option), Akin, Tucker Davidson (0 option), Vespi

Given the aversion to spending and the propensity of waiver claims, it seems obvious the 2024 Bullpen is some combination of this group and any changes will be more modest fix-type adds.

• russsnyder likes this

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 11:21 AM

Seems like an obvious place to make big upgrades.  Get the two best RP we can find, including someone to be the closer.  If they bring in a really good closer, I'd be ok with just one addition, but I'd look for two.

2 new arms, Cano, Wells, Coulombe, Hall, Perez and then whoever else as the 8th guy (Baumann, Webb, Irvin...).  You'd like guys with options to rotate through the last spot or two, so maybe we flip guys like Bauman and Webb in other deals.  Again, more practical if you've made two external adds.

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 November 2023 - 12:24 PM

Seems like an obvious place to make big upgrades.

I think the problem with "upgrades" is there seems to be an opinion that there's RPs out there that don't give up runs.

There are no 1.00 ERA or even 2.00 ERA pitchers out there.  We have a bunch of 3.00 ERA pitchers.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 02:10 PM

We know what an upgrade is. I'm not relying on guys 2023 ERA being repeated.

#5 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 05:26 PM

The Orioles need a closer in 2024.

That closer is not in the roster presently.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 November 2023 - 05:36 PM

The Orioles need a closer in 2024.

That closer is not in the roster presently.

I tend to agree, which is why I broke out Closer discussion separately.

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 December 2023 - 03:34 PM

With the signing of Kimbrel as Closer, there's at least a little more clarity to the options for the bullpe.

Everyone still wants a starter (me too), so that pushes Tyler Wells and DLHall into the bullpen.

Recent discussion of Tate suggests he's back in terms of health/availability. So you are still looking at something like

RH Cano

RH TWells

RH Tate

RH Baumann (0 option)

LH Perez (0 option)

LH Coulombe

LH Hall

That's 7 guys and you have others including a layer where something needs to happen because everyone was tendered a contract

RHs Baker, Webb (0 option)

LHs Irvin, Zimmermann (0 option), Akin, Tucker Davidson (0 option)

Maybe the Orioles are paying guys in arbitration to hang out at AAA as depth (that seems like odd decision making, but whatever) but MLB Rules don't allow you to option guys to the minors without options. 

Maybe they'll just roll into ST with everything and wait for injuries or whatever to happen and they waive or trade guys in late march to make it work, but it seems like an odd approach to carry both the cost and roster risks.  Certainly anyone can get traded.

People keep saying they want another bullpen piece...but you are replacing one of the 7 bullpen pieces above....and given the challenges they already have adding one more decision seems unlikely as well as unnecessary. 

That bullpen seems pretty strong sitting here in December (unless there's injuries we don't know about yet, like Tate last year)

This bullpen already lacks much flexibility to manage workload shuttling with Norfolk. 

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 05:20 PM

I'd rather sign or trade for one more arm we expect to be good, even if it means losing some of the fringe guys for nothing tying to waive them off the 40-man.  I'm ok with losing one of Perez, Tate or Baumann.  I also don't think it's a given that Hall, Cano, or Wells avoid a performance-related option, though they'll certainly make the Opening Day roster if healthy.  Tate also could be optioned, that may be the most likely outcome unless he looks real good in ST.  Also injuries to be considered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=