https://www.thebalti..._eid=9204bbd6c0

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,939 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 10:40 AM

Lol.  Good luck using eminent domain to take away the team from one of the most successful lawyers of all time.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 November 2023 - 10:48 AM

Lol.  Good luck using eminent domain to take away the team from one of the most successful lawyers of all time.

I doubt Pete is in much condition for a courtroom fight these days. Still, that article was a waste of server space. The city made overtures about doing that with the Colts, and all that did was convince Irsay to hastily pack and sneak out under cover of darkness. MLB might be on the side of the city and state right now as far as ensuring the Orioles stay, but if they try seizing through eminent domain, MLB will help John high-tail it out of town asap.

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,782 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 11:04 AM

The City would probably run the Orioles worse than the Angelos family. Pass.

#5 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 11:23 AM

Just hope against hope that everything is just to make the product more valuable to potential buyers, and that John decides to cash out BIG TIME once the tax basis adjusts dramatically with dad's passing.  

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 November 2023 - 11:40 AM

This feels like something a couple of 40 year old's living in their mom's basement write.

Surprised these guys view themselves as active professionals.

If you want to start the process, give Peter a Community Service Award and insist you give it to him in person.  Insist.

#7 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 12:31 PM

Worked so well when the state tried it with the Colts.

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 November 2023 - 01:33 PM

Good luck using eminent domain to take away the team from one of the most successful lawyers of all time.

I mean this as a serious question.  There seems to be some perspective (here) that the Law Firm of Peter Angelos has some extrodinary merit.

Do they?  They somehow got hooked into filing the paperwork (not their legal action) the Tobacco settlement in the State of Maryland and generated the wealth they still leverage today.  There's 5 or 6 Law Firms that chase ambulances in the town I live in just in commercials.

I've followed PGA's entity for some time just in their public profile.  They seem to just do what everyone else is doing.  Having 25-35 Lawyers isn't some Legal Powerhouse.  They don't seem to have done much (beyond common) for the last decade plus and generally nothing the last 5 years.

Has anyone actually seen PGA  since 2017?

#9 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 02:00 PM

I can only assume that PGA looks pretty much like the Crypt Keeper these days...

#10 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 02:24 PM

I mean this as a serious question.  There seems to be some perspective (here) that the Law Firm of Peter Angelos has some extrodinary merit.

Do they?  They somehow got hooked into filing the paperwork (not their legal action) the Tobacco settlement in the State of Maryland and generated the wealth they still leverage today.  There's 5 or 6 Law Firms that chase ambulances in the town I live in just in commercials.

I've followed PGA's entity for some time just in their public profile.  They seem to just do what everyone else is doing.  Having 25-35 Lawyers isn't some Legal Powerhouse.  They don't seem to have done much (beyond common) for the last decade plus and generally nothing the last 5 years.

Yeah, even if Peter was an exceptional lawyer that doesn't really matter now. Their website only lists 19 lawyers now. Peter and Lou aren't listed. Their page for their great verdicts and settlements has nothing after 2011.

It always seemed weird to me that they didn't have partners. Without that I'd think they'd have to pay really well, and somehow I can't see that. But maybe that's common in personal injury, I don't really know anything about that field.

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 02:47 PM

Winning class action status and/or huge settlements in personal injury cases doesn't mean you'd be adept at arguing against an eminent domain seizure. Bet your bottom dollar if it came to that, which it assuredly won't, the Orioles would hire the best firm specializing in those cases that (MASN) money can buy.

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,517 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 November 2023 - 02:55 PM

The city taking that action, and losing - surely wouldn’t bode well for the Orioles longterm future here. But man, I’d do anything to escape trust fund baby. He’s worse than his father by a wide margin. This team is closer to a title as any team in my lifetime, and he couldn’t care less.

I maintain if Mike’s rebuild didn’t work (in W/L’s) but was as effective in the ways it has cut and controlled costs for trust fund baby, he’d be just as thrilled with Mike’s performance as he is now.

#13 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 03:12 PM

Winning class action status and/or huge settlements in personal injury cases doesn't mean you'd be adept at arguing against an eminent domain seizure. Bet your bottom dollar if it came to that, which it assuredly won't, the Orioles would hire the best firm specializing in those cases that (MASN) money can buy.

They used Sidley Austin for the MASN suit. Very large and prestigious firm.

#14 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 04:11 PM

...I maintain if Mike’s rebuild didn’t work (in W/L’s) but was as effective in the ways it has cut and controlled costs for trust fund baby, he’d be just as thrilled with Mike’s performance as he is now.

Absolutely correct...

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 04:14 PM

I maintain if Mike’s rebuild didn’t work (in W/L’s) but was as effective in the ways it has cut and controlled costs for trust fund baby, he’d be just as thrilled with Mike’s performance as he is now.

Don't disagree with that, though I also think he's trying to utilize the team's change of fortunes as an opportunity to build the public persona he desires (and will probably never have). After all, between Elias' introductory press conference in Nov 2018 and some time during the 2022 season, the guy was practically invisible.

#16 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 November 2023 - 05:24 PM

...but that's my point, right?

#17 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 November 2023 - 05:35 PM

It always seemed weird to me that they didn't have partners. Without that I'd think they'd have to pay really well, and somehow I can't see that. But maybe that's common in personal injury, I don't really know anything about that field.

Peter Angelos was always about personal control. He didn't want to be pushed by others, regardless of the value.

If he was falling off a building and you reached out to grab him, he'd slap your hand away rather than be influenced by your hand.

I think most mischaracterize his approach. He was ok spending money if he was spending it the way he wanted to do it. He had his own set of value (real or not) and as long as he was getting his deal or doing it his way, it's ok. Everything is win-lose. One of the things that I think challenged him is he couldn't make the public love him. He wanted to win that, but his approach precluded it and he thought he could force it and he couldn't. It was an ugly cycle and if the people aren't going to love him, then they are in fact the bad guys.
  • makoman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=