263 replies to this topic

#241 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 11:06 AM

Mitchell is obviously the speed back we need to replace Dobbins. If he can stay healthy he gives us that dynamic we need to truly have an explosive run game. I would take him off of special teams immediately.

He was running with a lot of pop yesterday as well. Wasn't all speed. He was carrying tacklers and running with power on top of the explosiveness. Maybe the Ravens found a diamond in Mitchell.

#242 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 06 November 2023 - 11:09 AM

This offense is very dangerous as is. If Mitchell can provide the home run threat, then it borders on unstoppable.

Again, I readily admit to be a homer, but I can see the pieces coming together. Sure if LJ or other key pieces go down then the end will not be pretty, but that is life in the NFL, not the team, not finishing.

You're not alone. Romo sounded like a bigger homer than anyone on this board yesterday.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#243 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 November 2023 - 11:54 AM

You're not alone. Romo sounded like a bigger homer than anyone on this board yesterday.

I was at the game and I have not watched the broadcast yet, but a buddy said it sounded like Romo was the Ravens PR director.  

It would have been hard to build up Seattle yesterday.  

@mikeghg

#244 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 12:26 PM

I was at the game and I have not watched the broadcast yet, but a buddy said it sounded like Romo was the Ravens PR director.  

It would have been hard to build up Seattle yesterday.  

Definitely sounded like that. He made a comment about this being a historically good defense, right as Metcalf caught that 50-yard pass. Lol. He's not wrong, but the timing on that particular comment was funny.

@BSLMikeRandall

#245 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 01:30 PM

Definitely sounded like that. He made a comment about this being a historically good defense, right as Metcalf caught that 50-yard pass. Lol. He's not wrong, but the timing on that particular comment was funny.

Right after that I was like here we go.  Fortunately that one play was 30% of their yards for the day.

#246 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 November 2023 - 01:47 PM

I figured going into the game that the Seahawks were going to get their plays and Metcalfe was going to be tough, but they got that long one and the one in garbage time, and that was just about it.  Complete and total domination of a good offense.

The game was over when after OBJ fumbled, the Raven defense shoved the ball up Seattle's backside and then took it away and got the late FG.  That was one of the most impressive 3 and outs, I have ever seen.

@mikeghg

#247 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 02:27 PM

I figured going into the game that the Seahawks were going to get their plays and Metcalfe was going to be tough, but they got that long one and the one in garbage time, and that was just about it.  Complete and total domination of a good offense.

The game was over when after OBJ fumbled, the Raven defense shoved the ball up Seattle's backside and then took it away and got the late FG.  That was one of the most impressive 3 and outs, I have ever seen.

It will be very nice if they can return to the days of "Non-elite QBs don't win in Baltimore". 

That was a real thing here for long stretches of time with VERY rare exception. When opposing teams left M&T Bank with a win, the QB was usually named Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees, etc. Names like "Minshew" basically never appeared on that list. Gino Smith has found himself a bit of a legitimate run as an NFL starter, but he's not the caliber that used to be required to leave here with a win. 

They've dropped a few too many home games in recent year to guys that shouldn't be winning here. Put an end to that with this caliber defense and they are in about the best shape you could ask for...

• Mike B and BaltBird 24 like this

#248 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 November 2023 - 02:30 PM

It will be very nice if they can return to the days of "Non-elite QBs don't win in Baltimore". 

That was a real thing here for long stretches of time with VERY rare exception. When opposing teams left M&T Bank with a win, the QB was usually named Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees, etc. Names like "Minshew" basically never appeared on that list. Gino Smith has found himself a bit of a legitimate run as an NFL starter, but he's not the caliber that used to be required to leave here with a win. 

They've dropped a few too many home games in recent year to guys that shouldn't be winning here. Put an end to that with this caliber defense and they are in about the best shape you could ask for...

Well said.  

@mikeghg

#249 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 November 2023 - 02:36 PM

There were many very good things that came out of yesterday but besides Mitchell it was nice to see Bateman and OBJ make plays.  Lamar missed Bateman twice when he beat the corner on deep routes.  Bateman made a few nice catches yesterday and seems to be moving well.  I still think he has a chance to be a very good receiver.

OBJ, I know some were ripping him, but I think he has to play with a lot of emotion to be gooded.  Some of it, is hard to watch, but I think it is what motivates him.  He seems to be a good team mate.  He is always one of the first to congratulate someone after a good play.  Something that caught my eye yesterday, was after Mitchell scored he dropped the ball and began his TD celebration, but OBJ made it a point to go retrieve the ball and give it to the kid.  It was a nice look.  

• 1970 likes this
@mikeghg

#250 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 November 2023 - 03:56 PM

There were many very good things that came out of yesterday but besides Mitchell it was nice to see Bateman and OBJ make plays.  Lamar missed Bateman twice when he beat the corner on deep routes.  Bateman made a few nice catches yesterday and seems to be moving well.  I still think he has a chance to be a very good receiver.

OBJ, I know some were ripping him, but I think he has to play with a lot of emotion to be gooded.  Some of it, is hard to watch, but I think it is what motivates him.  He seems to be a good team mate.  He is always one of the first to congratulate someone after a good play.  Something that caught my eye yesterday, was after Mitchell scored he dropped the ball and began his TD celebration, but OBJ made it a point to go retrieve the ball and give it to the kid.  It was a nice look.  

Did he fumble it on the way over to him? :)

I'm critical of OBJ. He has a history of being malcontent. When that stuff starts creeping back up, it's hard to ignore, or chalk up to just being competitive or something. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#251 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 November 2023 - 10:36 AM

Did he fumble it on the way over to him? :)

I'm critical of OBJ. He has a history of being malcontent. When that stuff starts creeping back up, it's hard to ignore, or chalk up to just being competitive or something. 

I am just telling you what I saw.   

When he fumbled his teammates all seemed to rally around him and did it again after he scored.  I also thought his retrieving the ball for Mitchell showed some class.

FWIW, I am not a huge fan of OBJ for some of the reasons you mentioned, but there does seem to be more than meets the eye in a good way with him.

I maintain, that we need one of OBJ or Bateman to step up, and become a weapon for our offense to continue to evolve.  They are both showing signs of doing that.

@mikeghg

#252 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 November 2023 - 11:00 AM

The personality stuff set aside, bottom line is it was a terrible allocation of resources. We paid premium money for the 65th ranked WR in PFF (behind Mack Hollins, Justin Watson and Cedric Wilson Jr for context). And we only did it because Lamar basically mandated it (which I fully believe). Very unRavens'esque. That said, EDC has built a hell of a roster and the team appears as if they're able to overcome this mistake. Kudos to the front office for being strong enough to make an egregious mistake like this.

• Mike in STL and mdrunning like this

#253 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 11:07 AM

Isnt a big chunk of OBJs contract on next years cap. When he likely wont even be here.

#254 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 11:13 AM

Isnt a big chunk of OBJs contract on next years cap. When he likely wont even be here.

Yeah, it was the only way to for it in this year. Something like $11M in 2024.

#255 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 11:19 AM

Ridiculous. Thats insane. Hes due to be 7th on the team in cap hit next year behind Lamar, Stanley, Marlo, Marcus Williams, Andrews, Roquan. Only 2.5 mil less than Roquan and again not even under contract. Essentially 11 mil in dead money. This is the worst decision EDC ever made. I mean yeah Lamar was making demands and hes back in the fold so maybe its worth it in the long run but wow does that hurt the '24 cap

#256 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 11:26 AM

Beckham's deal does include four void years for salary cap purposes.

#257 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 11:29 AM

Beckham's deal does include four void years for salary cap purposes.

I assume that meand they could spread the 11 mil out over a 4 year stretch? Its still 11 mil in dead money which is stupid crazy but obviously that would help

#258 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 11:35 AM

Void years seem to be a new trend.

@BSLMikeRandall

#259 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 11:49 AM

I assume that meand they could spread the 11 mil out over a 4 year stretch? Its still 11 mil in dead money which is stupid crazy but obviously that would help

No, all hits when the contract voids, which is after this season.
  • mdrunning likes this

#260 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 12:01 PM

No, all hits when the contract voids, which is after this season.

So whats the purpose of having 4 void years?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=