#501 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,456 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 February 2024 - 06:46 PM

They aren't dumping money into ST coverage until the Angelos family is gone for good.

Money doesn't matter once they decide to sell.  They'll have a billion dollars.  This is competence, not money.

#502 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,102 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 February 2024 - 06:56 PM

7 games this year plus the prospect game on MLBN and whatever opposing team feeds we get.

#503 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,247 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 February 2024 - 10:07 PM

7 games this year plus the prospect game on MLBN and whatever opposing team feeds we get.

Have they announced this? The only way I can see where that came from is the Nats announced MASN is doing 7 of their ST games and I think it's mandated the network does the same for the O's, but no word on which games if that's even the case.

#504 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 10:32 PM

From The Sun: "...a source said MASN will broadcast seven of the Orioles’ 32 spring training games — far less than most MLB teams’ broadcast partners but more than it has aired in recent years. The number is the same for the Washington Nationals, whose games are also shown on the network majority-owned by the Orioles, and is a return to MASN’s pre-pandemic level..."

#505 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,247 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 February 2024 - 11:07 PM

So despite being shackled with the same Angelos-run network, the Nats can announce their spring training broadcast schedule a week before spring training actually begins. Meanwhile, the night before ST starts all Orioles fans get is something from an unnamed source that the local newspaper had to go hunting for.

I guess the delay is because John is still haggling with the Sarasota Community College AV Dept to get the production crew needed to pull it off.

"$10/hr and a bag of peanuts for each of you. That's my final offer, take it or leave it!"

#506 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,102 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 February 2024 - 11:33 PM

So despite being shackled with the same Angelos-run network, the Nats can announce their spring training broadcast schedule a week before spring training actually begins. Meanwhile, the night before ST starts all Orioles fans get is something from an unnamed source that the local newspaper had to go hunting for.

I guess the delay is because John is still haggling with the Sarasota Community College AV Dept to get the production crew needed to pull it off.

"$10/hr and a bag of peanuts for each of you. That's my final offer, take it or leave it!"

It’s almost over 🙏🏻
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#507 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 08:09 AM

Today is the day!!!!
  • BobPhelan and Biggsy like this

#508 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,470 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 08:47 AM

Sounds like the announcers will be calling those 7 ST games from Baltimore, so that's not ideal, but I guess baseball on TV is better than no baseball on TV.

• BobPhelan likes this

#509 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:30 AM

Maybe didnt need its own thread. Chris can move it the '24 thread if he feels necessary.

What are we thinking for the pen heading in. As far as who gets the spots. How many spots are really open? Is Wells going to be competing for the rotation or put in the pen from the start? Im kinda hoping they plan on him being in the pen. We need another hi lev option out there and he may provide that

Right now Ive got

Kimbrel
Cano
Wells
Webb
Tate
Coulombe
Perez
Irvin

Would seem Webb and Tate may be the 2 spots most open for someone to take. Think all 3 lefties are pretty safe. Obv a trade is always possible

Other 40 man guys in the mix

Baumann- no options
Baker-1 option
Akin- 1 option???
Vespi-1 option
Heasley- 1 option

Some interesting NRI arms but since they arent on the 40 man thy arent going to get much mention right now

#510 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:44 AM

I'm in a believe it when I see it stage that Tate is healthy and ready to produce. I think either Baumann or Baker will take his BP spot.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#511 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:51 AM

I'd be interested in taking Kenley Jansen off the Red Sox hands if they're gonna let him go as mainly a salary dump.  He's pretty similar to Kimbrel, but having both guys at the back end would be nice.  Could wait until the deadline and probably find someone similarly good if pen remains/becomes a need, but may pay a premium then.

I'm not sure I consider Tate or Webb really as being far ahead of Baumann or Baker.  Right now we'll have to have two of those guys in the pen, not sure how I'd rank them.  But I'd be very content to go add someone I expect to be really good in Jansen and then only be able to carry one of them.

#512 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:55 AM

I also think, assuming no injuries, that the rotation is pretty set with Burnes, Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, and Kremer.

I'd rather keep Wells strictly for the BP. He's more valuable to the Orioles at the back end.

If another starter is needed for injury I'd rather give Irvin another run at it.

#513 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:55 AM

I'd be interested in taking Kenley Jansen off the Red Sox hands if they're gonna let him go as mainly a salary dump.  He's pretty similar to Kimbrel, but having both guys at the back end would be nice.  Could wait until the deadline and probably find someone similarly good if pen remains/becomes a need, but may pay a premium then.

I'm not sure I consider Tate or Webb really as being far ahead of Baumann or Baker.  Right now we'll have to have two of those guys in the pen, not sure how I'd rank them.  But I'd be very content to go add someone I expect to be really good in Jansen and then only be able to carry one of them.

I would obviously take Jansen in a heartbeat but even if the Os were interested I dont see a way you can make both these guys happy as they chase 500 saves and increase their chances of mking the HOF. Both want all the save opportunities

#514 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:58 AM

I also think, assuming no injuries, that the rotation is pretty set with Burnes, Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, and Kremer.

I'd rather keep Wells strictly for the BP. He's more valuable to the Orioles at the back end.

If another starter is needed for injury I'd rather give Irvin another run at it.

I think they are going to stretch Wells out in ST though. With the thought that transitioning to pitching out of the pen will be easier than building back up to be a SP.  Will be interesting to see if they have Irvin stretched out too. One setback for the projected SPs and you def want one of these 2 filling in to start the year. 

#515 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,601 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 February 2024 - 11:33 AM

I would obviously take Jansen in a heartbeat but even if the Os were interested I dont see a way you can make both these guys happy as they chase 500 saves and increase their chances of mking the HOF. Both want all the save opportunities

You may be right about that difficulty, but Jansen has virtually no chance at the HOF.

#516 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 11:46 AM

You may be right about that difficulty, but Jansen has virtually no chance at the HOF.

Not sure why you feel this way. He matches up well or better than most HOF closers 

#517 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,601 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 February 2024 - 11:56 AM

Not sure why you feel this way. He matches up well or better than most HOF closers

You know what, I forgot to account for how silly the HOF vote can be. So sure, maybe if he finishes really strongly.

#518 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 12:03 PM

Fair point, but I don't think either would pout if they shared the role for a season. Would want to chat with both before pulling the trigger.

#519 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 12:06 PM

I'm in a believe it when I see it stage that Tate is healthy and ready to produce. I think either Baumann or Baker will take his BP spot.

All accounts are at that Tate is ready to go.  I don't think you need to question that aspect of it - I think the more important question is, for how long?

#520 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 12:33 PM

Both seem pretty comparable to Billy Wagner, at least superficially, I’m not doing a deep dive. Wagner was 5 votes short this year and has one more year on the ballot, probably makes it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=