1670 replies to this topic

#1561 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 08:23 AM

I would definitely claim or move cash considerations for Hicks.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1562 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 April 2024 - 09:16 AM

I like Hicks and have no issue bringing him in. But we do have Norby who has played LF all spring in Norfolk. 

#1563 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 10:00 AM

I like Hicks and have no issue bringing him in. But we do have Norby who has played LF all spring in Norfolk. 

But how well has he played LF?  And does he have the arm for RF? Because LF is tough now at Camden Yards.  And while DH could be an option against LHP, that's somewhat limited because McCann's days at the plate tend to come against LHP with Adley often sliding to DH.

I'd be interested in Norby or Mayo coming up to join the infield with Urias moving to bench or even DFA/traded.  Another question of their defense, but on the surface I think I'm more confident in Mayo at 3B or Norby at 2B than I am in Norby in LF.

#1564 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 April 2024 - 10:18 AM

But how well has he played LF?  And does he have the arm for RF? Because LF is tough now at Camden Yards.  And while DH could be an option against LHP, that's somewhat limited because McCann's days at the plate tend to come against LHP with Adley often sliding to DH.

I'd be interested in Norby or Mayo coming up to join the infield with Urias moving to bench or even DFA/traded.  Another question of their defense, but on the surface I think I'm more confident in Mayo at 3B or Norby at 2B than I am in Norby in LF.

Yeah good question. I have no idea how his D in in LF or how his arm is. But we have a logjam of guys who should be on MLB rosters. Brining in a guy like Hicks just compounds that potentially. And with Norby you can send him down when Hays is ready. Hicks would have to just go.

#1565 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 10:18 AM

But how well has he played LF? And does he have the arm for RF? Because LF is tough now at Camden Yards. And while DH could be an option against LHP, that's somewhat limited because McCann's days at the plate tend to come against LHP with Adley often sliding to DH.

I'd be interested in Norby or Mayo coming up to join the infield with Urias moving to bench or even DFA/traded. Another question of their defense, but on the surface I think I'm more confident in Mayo at 3B or Norby at 2B than I am in Norby in LF.

Good points all.

The other point I'll throw in mix is that Hicks would be picked up to replace McKenna, who is essentially the 26th man right now. I prefer to keep guys like Norby playing regularly at this point in time.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1566 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 April 2024 - 10:41 AM

Good points all.

The other point I'll throw in mix is that Hicks would be picked up to replace McKenna, who is essentially the 26th man right now. I prefer to keep guys like Norby playing regularly at this point in time.

Dont disagree. McKenna could be let go. 

But as to the younger guys:

Kjerstad - 436 PA in AAA and 926 overall in the minors.

Mayo - 391/1393

Norby - 802/1457

And that doesn't even count Stowers.

That;s 4 guys who have done what they are going to do at AAA. Sooner preferably than later they will be on a roster in the bigs. But we all know the situation. A good problem to have but only to a point. 

#1567 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 10:43 AM

I think the thing that Kjerstad, Mayo, Norby, and Stowers have in common is that none of them can really play defense. 

I guess Mayo has an outside shot at being a passable 3B, and maybe Kjerstad can be almost as good as Santander in RF next year.

• Hooded Viper likes this

#1568 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 April 2024 - 11:02 AM

McKenna's out of options, so if they move him off the 40, he's gone (or not). 

Still, I like it. Stowers is still around if that doesn't work out. 

McKenna made it through waivers once already. Doesn’t assure he will again, but the risk might not be that high.

#1569 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 11:08 AM

McKenna made it through waivers once already. Doesn’t assure he will again, but the risk might not be that high.

Also the impact is not that high, if the risk is realized.

• BobPhelan likes this

#1570 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,990 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 11:22 AM

Highly doubt McKenna will be picked up if he's passed through waivers. And if he is, 4th/5th OFers aren't hard to come by. He doesn't really do anything significantly well.

#1571 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 02:36 PM

I think the thing that Kjerstad, Mayo, Norby, and Stowers have in common is that none of them can really play defense. 

I guess Mayo has an outside shot at being a passable 3B, and maybe Kjerstad can be almost as good as Santander in RF next year.

My thoughts exactly!

#1572 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,638 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 02:40 PM

Would love to get multiple assesments on Mayos D at 3b. With respect to Bob and those that cover the Os I feel like they may be too kind to his overall prospects of being a quality 3b defensively.

But they need to figure it out this year. If they dont see 3b happening they need to play him more in RF.

#1573 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 04:03 PM

I may have already posted this, but there was an article in the Banner back in March about how Mayo had changed his arm slot, and his defense at 3B had improved dramatically (although it sounds like the improvement took him from horrible to adequate).

He fielded grounders, then whipped throws over to first and second bases. He did it accurately, to the chest, managing his big arm in a way Tony Mansolino had never seen before. One year earlier, the Orioles’ infield coach doubted whether this tall slugger would be able to play third base for a Major League Baseball organization.

“If you had asked me last year, and mostly because of the throwing, I would’ve said no chance,” Mansolino said in an honest assessment of one of Baltimore’s top prospects.

No chance?

“Last year? Yeah.” Mansolino was frank.

But last year was last year, and in the time between then and now, the 22-year-old Mayo has taken leaps and bounds in the field. Seeing him then, on the first day of spring — and on each day since — has reversed Mansolino’s evaluation of Mayo’s ability to play third for the Orioles.

“This year? Big chance. He’s come a long way,” Mansolino said. “He’s doing great. He looks good. Now, we talk about him in the breadth of being a major league option at third base this year.”

Coby Mayo changed the way he throws. Now his defense is changing minds. - The Baltimore Banner

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#1574 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,638 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 04:07 PM

I may have already posted this, but there was an article in the Banner back in March about how Mayo had changed his arm slot, and his defense at 3B had improved dramatically (although it sounds like the improvement took him from horrible to adequate).

Coby Mayo changed the way he throws. Now his defense is changing minds. - The Baltimore Banner

Yeah they were talking him up in ST and while Im sure he has improved I always considered that may be some ST fluff. I know he made some errors the first week of the season in Norfolk. Dont know if hes cleaned that up or not.

#1575 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 April 2024 - 04:09 PM

If these guys are that weak defensively then they should be trading most all of them. Not going to earn their way to the O's with the logjam we have. And how do you get so many guys to AAA, and apparently ready for the majors that can't play defense at least adequately?

#1576 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 30 April 2024 - 04:12 PM

If these guys are that weak defensively then they should be trading most all of them. Not going to earn their way to the O's with the logjam we have. And how do you get so many guys to AAA, and apparently ready for the majors that can't play defense at least adequately?

They can all hit, and that's the most important skill.  And they're probably all about as good defensively as guys like Santander or O'Hearn - it's just that the O's already have Santander and O'Hearn, so that doesn't leave room for the young guys.

#1577 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 06:40 AM

I've felt from the beginning that Mayo's future in Balto. is first base or DH. Yeah, it wastes his arm, but that's the way it is.

Mountcastle's a free agent in 2027. If they feel Mayo's the real deal, leave Mountcastle at first this year and move him in off-season. W/ two years left before free agency, he has real value.

#1578 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,644 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 May 2024 - 08:15 AM

Would love to get multiple assesments on Mayos D at 3b. With respect to Bob and those that cover the Os I feel like they may be too kind to his overall prospects of being a quality 3b defensively.

But they need to figure it out this year. If they dont see 3b happening they need to play him more in RF.

I haven’t been exactly glowing. I think he can be league average fairly quickly and maybe get to slightly above league average. I think that’s plenty good enough with the bat he has.

They recently told Buck Britton to start working him out in RF so to me that says they’re getting close to bringing him up (maybe a month or so).

#1579 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,990 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 08:20 AM

Unless he's at 3B, I don't see how he can crack the OF/1B/DH rotation and still get regular ABs without a trade occurring.

#1580 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,644 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 May 2024 - 08:23 AM

Unless he's at 3B, I don't see how he can crack the OF/1B/DH rotation and still get regular ABs without a trade occurring.

I think his main position would still be the O’s but they like having options. Especially with an impact bat like his.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=