#1 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

This is a thread about off the field stuff. Nothing to do with FA signings, trades, etc...

Over the last several years, myself and others have expressed a lot of concern over the lack of direction, structure, etc...within this organization.

We have routinely seen guys not be in good enough shape, pitchers come up with poor mechanics and an inability to command a fastball.

We have seen the organization ignore OBP and produce next to nothing in terms of power prospects.

So, enter DD and all of his new hires.

He has stressed OBP as an important idea and brought in Brady and the former hitting instructor for the Rangers...a team that has produced a lot of power guys and good OBP guys.

He also brought Brady in to be the teams Tony Horton and get them conditioned the way they need to be.

Then, he brought in a guy who is known as one of the better pitching minds in the game and one that is known as an expert in mechanics.

And that is all before you even start talking about what he is doing with the International stuff that had to be addressed.

These moves may or may not pan out. The programs these guys implement may or may not work. PA may still do enough to where he screws these moves up.

HOWEVER, what DD did do was attack the areas of weakness and bring in guys that SHOULD be able to fix the problems.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,124 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

Right, he has spent the Winter so far 'controlling what he can control.' That is easy to respect.

What I also like though, is that he is saying he wants immediate results (improvement) here in '12.

#3 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

Excellent summary of the positive changes he's made in the organization.

It's been a pretty slow and boring offseason in terms of the on field product, but I really think DD has made progress with the franchise as a whole. I'm certainly very on board with the changes he has made.

@AdamWolff

#4 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

I've said this before (not sure if I have in this forum), but the Orioles need to improve the infrastructure of the organization before the big league product takes significant steps forward. No matter how active you feel the O's should be in the free agent market moving forward, I think it's inarguable that the main source of talent for the org needs to come via the farm system. And for the farm system to crank out the kind of talent necessary, the infrastructure of player development needs to be improved.

Talent acquisition via the draft and international market is only part of the equation -- gotta develop too. You can sign top tier free agents all you want but in this division...but the structure of the org has to be in tip-top shape and developing young talent at a rapid rate in order to be successful. I know some fans don't want to hear about "structure" and "international scouting" because they've been told by how many ever GM's that they have the magic rebuilding plan, but I really do feel the structure of the org absolutely must be improved in order to move forward in a positive way.

As I've outlined in prior threads, current roadblocks (i.e. ownership's provisions) may impede real progress being made on this front. If Duquette is going to get the player development stuff done that he wants done...I'd have to imagine he wants his "policies" in place and people in the right spots by the end of the year. This gives him time to evaluate the org from spring training to the end of September. I think by June or so...he'll have a pretty good idea of what needs to happen down on the farm as far as coaches, instructors, quality of facilities, etc. go.

On that note, saw this tonight http://baltimore.cbs... ... e-stadium/ Cliff notes: Delmarva's facilities may be inadequate. Have to imagine Duquette will need to address to quality of facilities across the O's minor leagues. Only minor league park in the O's system I've been to is Aberdeen, which is quite nice...the field is always in very good shape and indoor facilities are available for players. The whole Ripken complex in Aberdeen is great. But I don't know if there are other facilities aside from Delmarva that are in need of upgrades.
@BSLLukeJackson

#5 MattCLund

MattCLund
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

I really like the proactive approach of Duke so far in everything he has done. May or may not translate to wins on the field, but at least he's attacking the noticeable weaknesses of this organization and team. That's to be commended.
@MattCLund

#6 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

I've said this before (not sure if I have in this forum), but the Orioles need to improve the infrastructure of the organization before the big league product takes significant steps forward. No matter how active you feel the O's should be in the free agent market moving forward, I think it's inarguable that the main source of talent for the org needs to come via the farm system. And for the farm system to crank out the kind of talent necessary, the infrastructure of player development needs to be improved.

Talent acquisition via the draft and international market is only part of the equation -- gotta develop too. You can sign top tier free agents all you want but in this division...but the structure of the org has to be in tip-top shape and developing young talent at a rapid rate in order to be successful. I know some fans don't want to hear about "structure" and "international scouting" because they've been told by how many ever GM's that they have the magic rebuilding plan, but I really do feel the structure of the org absolutely must be improved in order to move forward in a positive way.

As I've outlined in prior threads, current roadblocks (i.e. ownership's provisions) may impede real progress being made on this front. If Duquette is going to get the player development stuff done that he wants done...I'd have to imagine he wants his "policies" in place and people in the right spots by the end of the year. This gives him time to evaluate the org from spring training to the end of September. I think by June or so...he'll have a pretty good idea of what needs to happen down on the farm as far as coaches, instructors, quality of facilities, etc. go.

On that note, saw this tonight http://baltimore.cbs... ... e-stadium/ Cliff notes: Delmarva's facilities may be inadequate. Have to imagine Duquette will need to address to quality of facilities across the O's minor leagues. Only minor league park in the O's system I've been to is Aberdeen, which is quite nice...the field is always in very good shape and indoor facilities are available for players. The whole Ripken complex in Aberdeen is great. But I don't know if there are other facilities aside from Delmarva that are in need of upgrades.

Excellent post... I concur across the board.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

He has built an infrastructure that was sorely lacking. My only hope is that he places some assistant types to work with some of the older gentleman he has hired. I think that guys like Thomas, Ferriara, Potivent have just a few more working years. DD is employing not only their talent but reputation in their respective area's. They have contacts that the Orioles did not have. This is a smart move, finding their successors and putting them in place, ready to learn, is also a must.
@mikeghg

#8 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

It has been great but this should have been done 20 years ago and it is inexcusable that it wasn't done 10 years ago. I still think it would work best in conjunction with a targeted sell off but I is definitely a good step in the right direction.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#9 vatech1994

vatech1994

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

It has been great but this should have been done 20 years ago and it is inexcusable that it wasn't done 10 years ago. I still think it would work best in conjunction with a targeted sell off but I is definitely a good step in the right direction.

I agree with most everything written here. I especially agree with your last sentence. The targeted sell off is a necessity IMHO.

#10 weams

weams
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

I did not get the feeling that a rebuild would happen. I did get the impression that Duquette has listened to several offers, for several players.
A nervous breakdown divided into nine innings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=