211 replies to this topic

#201 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 08:16 PM

With no Watson I have to go with the Ravens 20-9. I'll give the Ravens another TD via a pick 6.

But seriously, they can't lose this game. How lucky have they been to open the season against these 4 QBs? Game 1: Rookie making 1st start, Game 2: Injured Joe Burrow who missed all of camp, Game 3: Colts starter out, backup in, Game 4: Watson out, backup rookie making his first NFL appearance. Should be 4-0 against that stretch of QBs, but at the very least 3-1. Serious contenders will not be 2-2 against these 4 QBs and you can't lose back to back games to Garner Minshew and Dorian Thompson-Robinson.

When you catch a team on your schedule can be such an underrated aspect to where your final record sits. Ravens obv have their own internal issues with injuries but catching these first two divisional teams the weeks we did is huge. Burrow clearly compromised and Watson out.
  • cprenegade likes this

#202 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 08:19 PM

3-1 is all that matters to me. 

• Mike B likes this

#203 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 08:44 PM

When you catch a team on your schedule can be such an underrated aspect to where your final record sits. Ravens obv have their own internal issues with injuries but catching these first two divisional teams the weeks we did is huge. Burrow clearly compromised and Watson out.

Yep.  The teams you play are set at the end of last year's regular season.  It's when you play them that can make all the difference in the world.  I'm sure there were some teams that felt that same way about playing the Ravens late in the year the last two years.  Difference between getting them early or late was no Lamar Jackson late in the season.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#204 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 09:48 PM

At what point can we say that Baltimore’s defense is top-tier?

I do think it's top tier.  I think going into the season everyone knew the Ravens defense would probably be top 10.  But I don't think you can draw many conclusions based on who they have played the first 4 games.  Two QBs making their first start ever, one who is obviously playing hurt, and another a backup who started for a guy out in concussion protocol.  They looked great today, but they didn't look all that great last week when they let Minshew make some clutch plays and gave up 122 yds on the ground to Zack Moss.  That's not exactly Aikman and Emmitt Smith they were playing.  

I have to see it against an upgrade at QB before passing judgement.  Not to whether the defense is good or not, but as to top notch.  And I doubt I can do that after next week.  Pittsburgh's offense is pathetic.  Kenny Pickett hasn't been any better than any of the guys the Raven's have played so far.  

#205 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 10:00 PM

This was a very nice win. Wouldn’t have expected it to be all that different even with Watson, but it wouldn’t have been this big a blowout. Glad to bring them down to earth a bit.

Also, 2-0 in the division is big. Helps get the bad taste out of my mouth from that Indi clunker last week.

I think I will respectfully disagree about whether it would have been different with Watson.  Cleveland's defense was forcing the Ravens off the field in 3 of the first 4 possessions.  It was only a pick returned to the 10 yard line that set up the first Raven's TD.  Dorian Thompson-Robinson was awful.  He stared down every receiver he wanted to throw to.  The Ravens could have had maybe 4 more picks in that game.  I was surprised Cleveland didn't use his running ability more.   With Watson maybe Cleveland takes advantage of what their defense was doing early in the game instead of throwing a pick that changed the whole game.

Not saying Cleveland would have won, but I don't think the outcome would have been so obvious from the start of the game.   It is what it is.  Can't speculate about what might have been.  But it's not a whole lot different than saying the Ravens playoff game last year would have ended differently if Lamar Jackson had been the QB.  

#206 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 02:14 AM

Still bitter about Indianapolis butt I'd rather lose to them and beat the Browns than the opposite.
@DaKittenz

#207 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 07:11 AM

Lamar made some clutch big time throws. And plays in general. Not only throws. I get that he can be inconsistent and careless at times but he did things in this game that were truly elite. Its why this is one of the teams that can win it all.

#208 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 October 2023 - 10:11 AM

Bottom line is 3-1 after four with road games in CIN and CLE already done you take it.
  • Mackus and bmore_ken like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#209 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2023 - 10:42 AM

Bottom line is 3-1 after four with road games in CIN and CLE already done you take it.

I think if the Ravens can even have a little luck injury wise, they will win the AFC North.  I am excited about the defense.  They are playing well and have 4 key players out.  I think it will be deep and even better when Marlon, Williams, Bowser and Oweh get back.

I think EDC has done a nice job getting good players in for depth.  Darby, Ya Sin, and Van Noy are good additions. We also have young players developing.  Stephens is playing very well, as is Stone and Queen has turned into a force.

@mikeghg

#210 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 11:43 AM

Lamar made some clutch big time throws. And plays in general. Not only throws. I get that he can be inconsistent and careless at times but he did things in this game that were truly elite. Its why this is one of the teams that can win it all.

If he hits one of his 5 game hot streaks in the post season, Ravens could easily win it all. When he's hot, he's the best football player in the world. I say that knowing full well that Mahomes exists. Now, because those games are sporadic, and he is so streaky, he's clearly not in Mahomes league. But when he's on his A+ game, you can't stop him.

#211 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 01:13 PM

IDK, when you can keep Lamar around 20-25 attempts a game, run the ball 35 times a game, good things are going to happen more than not.

• bmore_ken and Ravens2006 like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#212 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 07:31 AM

Through 4 games, Lamar has thrown 105 times and backs (and some WR sweeps) NOT named Lamar have 96 rushing attempts.  That's about where I think you want to see the spread.  One rush attempt for every pass thrown.  Then you add in the Lamar designed runs and scrambles, and you have something more reliable in the long run I think.

• bmore_ken likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=