211 replies to this topic

#181 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:08 PM

Did exactly what they needed to do against a rookie back up QB. Just a dominant performance by the defense.

Lamar was quite good against a great defense, too.

#182 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:12 PM

Did exactly what they needed to do against a rookie back up QB. Just a dominant performance by the defense.

Lamar was quite good against a great defense, too.

Roquan Smith was a one man demolition machine and you can bet there's going to a lot sore bodies in the Browns training room tomorrow morning. 

#183 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:12 PM

So close.

Monken stopped caring about gaining yards about halfway through the 3rd quarter.  If we kept pushing the gas we would have another TD, at least.

But given how their backup QB was awful maybe it wasn't such a bad plan.  We scored another TD off the Stone pick too.

#184 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:14 PM

Monken stopped caring about gaining yards about halfway through the 3rd quarter.  If we kept pushing the gas we would have another TD, at least.

But given how their backup QB was awful maybe it wasn't such a bad plan.  We scored another TD off the Stone pick too.

It's only 4 games in but I'm not impressed with the creativity of Monken so far.  Might as well just have Roman up in the booth. 

#185 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:17 PM

Lamar completing over 75% of his passes. Not bad. Definitely can't sustain with Moses AND Stanley hurt.

#186 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:27 PM

It's only 4 games in but I'm not impressed with the creativity of Monken so far.  Might as well just have Roman up in the booth. 

I don't really care that much if his schemes are simple and/or uncreative, because his schemes get receivers open, he's gotten Lamar and his receivers in sync so the throws are on time and on location (something Roman could never do) and Lamar can improvise well enough to pull random rabbits out of his helmet when stuff breaks down.  Simple plays executed well are far better than complicated plays that get screwed up half the time because the play was called in too late, or the team didn't coach the routes cleanly, or whatever.

I don't like the fact that the team has taken their foot off the gas with a 2-score lead before the 4th quarter.  This is something the team did before, so it has to be a directive from Harbaugh, and not something that's on Monken.  I feel like Harbaugh is the kind of guy that would prefer to play the field position game instead of take some shots downfield with a lead.

#187 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:30 PM

Against the Cleveland offense today.... Taking the gas off the peddle up two scores wasn't the wrong thing to do.

#188 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:36 PM

I am sure the plan at halftime was to not make any mistakes.  Add that to the fact, that we were playing our backups at both left and right tackle, against Garrett and Smith, it was the perfect plan.

The defense just destroyed the Clowns offense.  Good win, what a difference a week makes.

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@mikeghg

#189 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:42 PM

I don't really care that much if his schemes are simple and/or uncreative, because his schemes get receivers open, he's gotten Lamar and his receivers in sync so the throws are on time and on location (something Roman could never do) and Lamar can improvise well enough to pull random rabbits out of his helmet when stuff breaks down.  Simple plays executed well are far better than complicated plays that get screwed up half the time because the play was called in too late, or the team didn't coach the routes cleanly, or whatever.

I don't like the fact that the team has taken their foot off the gas with a 2-score lead before the 4th quarter.  This is something the team did before, so it has to be a directive from Harbaugh, and not something that's on Monken.  I feel like Harbaugh is the kind of guy that would prefer to play the field position game instead of take some shots downfield with a lead.

I don't think they necessarily went into cruise control.  After Moses left, they couldn't do anything on the ground.  It was pretty futile at that point but I suppose with a 2 touchdown lead and trying to eat up clock, the Browns took advantage of it knowing that's what the Ravens were going to do.  Still don't think their offense is very creative.  Everyone used to trash Roman's passing play calls but it still looks pretty conservative to me. 

#190 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 October 2023 - 04:34 PM

So close.

You will have other opportunities!
  • Mike in STL likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#191 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2023 - 04:36 PM

This was a very nice win. Wouldn’t have expected it to be all that different even with Watson, but it wouldn’t have been this big a blowout. Glad to bring them down to earth a bit.

Also, 2-0 in the division is big. Helps get the bad taste out of my mouth from that Indi clunker last week.

#192 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 October 2023 - 05:15 PM

If you daughter is a football/Ravens fan, hopefully, she'll get a victory for her birthday!

She half pays attention but baseball is more her thing.

I'm going to watch the game in a bit but seeing the final score, it sounds like things went as well as could be expected today.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#193 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 October 2023 - 05:18 PM

It's only 4 games in but I'm not impressed with the creativity of Monken so far. Might as well just have Roman up in the booth.

I think we'll see things evolve as we get healthier and everyone gets more comfortable in the system. There have been flashes.

Something to consider as well...Lamar is an outstanding athlete but how much of the offense can he handle? I already have some concerns about his ball security and his ability to recognize pressure and adjust.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#194 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 October 2023 - 05:40 PM

Are opposing kickers perfect against us from beyond 50 yards?
@primetime667083

#195 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 05:41 PM

Are opposing kickers perfect against us from beyond 50 yards?

Seems like it. Getting out-Tuckered. Has to end eventually. Hopefully in a big game or a playoff game the streak breaks. :)

#196 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 06:02 PM

Should be undefeated, but 3-1 ain't bad.

#197 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 October 2023 - 06:11 PM

The wheel route to Melvin Gordon was a thing of beauty.
@primetime667083

#198 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 06:26 PM

I think we'll see things evolve as we get healthier and everyone gets more comfortable in the system. There have been flashes.

Something to consider as well...Lamar is an outstanding athlete but how much of the offense can he handle? I already have some concerns about his ball security and his ability to recognize pressure and adjust.

The injuries continue to pile up on a weekly basis so I seriously doubt this team will ever get "healthier."  It will just be who's available during any given week.  And I think they should be comfortable with the system by now. People were expecting this passing revolution with Monken, players included but I just don't see anything significant coming around the corner.  They'll ride their running game and defense to most of their victories, especially later in the season when the weather gets cold.  Pass protection, outside of the Bengals game, is almost never good and that will continue also.  If anything, they'll become more conservative going forward.  At least that's the way I see it.  I hope they prove me wrong. 

#199 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 October 2023 - 07:18 PM

I think the offense will get better.  I thought they did pretty well against a very good defense today.  Lamar made some nice throws downfield.  Edwards, Hill and Gordon also had nice runs today, again against a top notch defense.

Defensively, I think there is a lot of reason to be excited.  The defensive line is doing a good job against them run and is getting push up the middle.  Roquan and PQ are tremendous playing together.  Smith is probably the best inside backer in football.    The defensive backfield is playing well, and Humphrey and Williams are still out.  I feel like we have found players on the back end.  Stone, Darby and Ya Sin are playing very well.  Stephens has found a home on the outside and Hamilton is becoming a star.  We still need more plays on the edge, but Clooney has been good, and hopefully Bowser and Owen are back soon.  Van Noy made some contributions today too.

I think the Ravens are the best team in the division.  We need a little luck getting some guys healthy.

@mikeghg

#200 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 October 2023 - 07:21 PM

The wheel route to Melvin Gordon was a thing of beauty.

The throws to Andrews and Flowers were also perfect.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=