#61 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,826 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 September 2023 - 07:58 AM

He never had great homerun power but after 1971, it vanished almost completely.  Still, he did manage to hit a solid .288 in 1974 before falling off the cliff offensively so it's understandable that he and the Orioles felt he could still hit for a decent average and get on base entering the 1975 season.  Plenty of players from that era stayed on a few years too long but they didn't have millions of dollars sitting in bank accounts with the leverage to quit while still productive. 

Good point about players of that era hanging on too long.  Most still needed the money and I know Brooks who lost money due to some dishonest business partners was one of them.  

Brooks was not a slugger, but one of the best clutch hitters to ever wear the Oriole uniform.  He certainly had a flair for the dramatic.

@mikeghg

#62 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 10:10 AM

Good point about players of that era hanging on too long.  Most still needed the money and I know Brooks who lost money due to some dishonest business partners was one of them.  

Brooks was not a slugger, but one of the best clutch hitters to ever wear the Oriole uniform.  He certainly had a flair for the dramatic.

Yes, excellent clutch hitter.  One of the best in the game at that time.  He also had very good power alley power which unfortunately, didn't do him any good at Memorial Stadium.  If he had played his whole career at Camden Yards before the Great Wall, he would have easily hit 30-35 homeruns a year when he was in his prime.  Can't even imagine what Frank Robinson and Boog Powell would have done to that park.  

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#63 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 09:02 AM

Public memorial service will be streaming on the Orioles' YouTube channel.

#64 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,470 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 09:26 AM

Also on Twitter:

Baltimore Orioles on X: "Watch as we celebrate the life and legacy of Brooks Robinson https://t.co/7TcCwLhtnR" / X (twitter.com)

#65 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,826 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2023 - 10:18 AM

Public memorial service will be streaming on the Orioles' YouTube channel.

Thanks for sharing the link.  I wish I had gone to the Yard today.  RIP Brooks.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@mikeghg

#66 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 08:52 PM

I have a picture in my office.  In the picture, I’m leaning over a table talking to Brooks.  He was a part owner of the Southern MD Blue Crabs and was signing autographs prior to one of their games.  When I walked up to him I said “I believe you know my wife’s uncle” and I mentioned his name.  Brooks immediately responded “how is old Tom?”  He proceeded to tell me that he used to go fishing with Tom and that his son once dated Tom’s daughter.  We talked for a while; so long that I would have felt bad for those behind me, but that was one of the greatest moments of my life.  I had the honor and privilege of meeting Brooks 6 or 7 times, but that was the only extended conversation I ever had with him.

My name on here (and at OH) is obviously because of that great Orioles team.  That was the first World Series that I have vivid memories of, and what a WS to remember!

RIP, Brooks.

I hope you all don’t mind if I bring this back up.  I mentioned in this post Brooks’ old friend “Old Tom” who was my wife’s uncle.  Unfortunately, Tom Scrivener passed away earlier this week.  Tom was a really good man who told a lot of great stories; I can definitely see why Brooks enjoyed spending time with him.  Rest in peace, Uncle Tom.

• Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#67 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,259 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 11:00 PM

I hope you all don’t mind if I bring this back up. I mentioned in this post Brooks’ old friend “Old Tom” who was my wife’s uncle. Unfortunately, Tom Scrivener passed away earlier this week. Tom was a really good man who told a lot of great stories; I can definitely see why Brooks enjoyed spending time with him. Rest in peace, Uncle Tom.

My condolences.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#68 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 12:57 PM

Sorry, Ted

#69 1970

All-Star