#41 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 02:44 PM

https://www.mlb.com/...inson-s-defense

Of the various things that made Brooks so endearing, one of them is that he didn't look like a jock, didn't move like a jock.  Instead, he seemed more like your family's nice next door neighbor who somehow was always making a play he shouldn't be able to make. 

Even when he hit a dinger, he didn't round the bases like a super-jock. Instead, he looked like he was on the verge of just falling apart, just barely keeping all his limbs in place until he got all the way around to the plate.  

So, when you're a kid and you see him doing amazing things that he shouldn't be able to do, you thought maybe you could do something amazing... not every day like Brooks did, but maybe you could do something amazing every now and then.  Which is exactly the attitude you need when you're just a goofy kid trying to play the game the Oriole Way.

• Mike B, Mike in STL, BSLSteveBirrer and 1 other like this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#42 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 04:15 PM

Shack, Good to see posting sir. Although I wish it was under different circumstances. The only thing that I will add is that as awkward as Brooks was in some aspects of the game, he was extremely graceful and light footed in the field. As slow as he was, there was no one in his era who was as good at fielding slow rollers than Brooks. He was a defensive beast and one of best clutch hitters of all time. (Second to Eddie Murray IMO)
  • Mike B and RShack like this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#43 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 27 September 2023 - 04:19 PM

https://www.mlb.com/...inson-s-defense

Of the various things that made Brooks so endearing, one of them is that he didn't look like a jock, didn't move like a jock. Instead, he seemed more like your family's nice next door neighbor who somehow was always making a play he shouldn't be able to make.

Even when he hit a dinger, he didn't round the bases like a super-jock. Instead, he looked like he was on the verge of just falling apart, just barely keeping all his limbs in place until he got all the way around to the plate.

So, when you're a kid and you see him doing amazing things that he shouldn't be able to do, you thought maybe you could do something amazing... not every day like Brooks did, but maybe you could do something amazing every now and then. Which is exactly the attitude you need when you're just a goofy kid trying to play the game the Oriole Way.

Sounds like Vlad Guerrero Sr. Lumbered around but was somehow an amazing athlete

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#44 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 04:30 PM

I am not a fan of WAR, but as someone who has been a die hard baseball fan for about 60 years, I will tell you that I do not think there has ever been a better left side of the infield than Mark Belanger and Brooks Robinson. Magnificent does not do them justice.

Yeah, if you hit it to the left side of that infield you were pretty much assured of being in the book.
  • Mike B likes this

#45 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 04:54 PM

Sounds like Vlad Guerrero Sr. Lumbered around but was somehow an amazing athlete

Once he finally got going, Brooks wasn't all that slow... it mainly just took him too long to get to 1B from the batters box.  But he hit a ton of doubles and by the time he rounded 1st he was going pretty good.

Which is something I never understood, because he obviously had fast reflexes... he could get to where the line drive or grounder was... and once he got up a head of steam he was only moderately slow, not super slow.   So what made him take so long getting to 1B before he got himself doubled up?  Can somebody have a good 1st and 2nd step but a super slow 3rd and 4th and 5th step, and then speed up again? 

I have no idea what the answer is...

• russsnyder likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,670 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 05:13 PM

I think of reaction speed as almost completely differently than athleticism or real speed. I think of these kids who play video games where the reaction speed and good hand eye is needed. Plenty of them arent gonna have great foot speed or be that athletic. Obviously there is still some level of coordination and athleticism to take one step either way
and pick balls, or throw balls accurately with enough velo. Cal was another who again is one of the best defenders of all time. Incredible hand /eye and coordination but was not fleet of foot. Hardy another. Its legandary how slow Hardy was yet its also legendary how good the hand/eye was at so many activites/sports. Great motor skills.
  • mweb08, Mike B, RShack and 2 others like this

#47 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 05:18 PM

^^^^^

That's a good answer...

#48 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 07:54 AM

Boswell coming out of retirement to write about Brooks:

We have too few compasses — for character — that are still set accurately. Every time we think of Brooks Robinson, remember: That’s true north.

Brooks Robinson’s character was as magical as his fielding - The Washington Post

• DuffMan and CantonJester like this

#49 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,776 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 September 2023 - 08:22 AM

Boswell coming out of retirement to write about Brooks:

Brooks Robinson’s character was as magical as his fielding - The Washington Post

I liked this anecdote from Earl...

Every player I’ve ever managed blamed me at the end, not himself,” Earl Weaver, Robinson’s longtime manager, told me. “They all ripped me and said they weren’t washed up. All except Brooks. He never said one word, and he had more clout in Baltimore than all of them. He never did anything except with class. He made the end easier for everybody.”

• Mike B likes this

#50 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 08:26 AM

I'm surprised he didn't make it to 3K hits.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#51 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 09:50 AM

Public memorial service on Monday at 10am at OPACY.

#52 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 02:18 PM

Haven't seen anything about possible MASN/streaming coverage, but imagine there might be something on pre-game O's Xtra.

#53 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 September 2023 - 03:03 PM

I think of reaction speed as almost completely differently than athleticism or real speed. I think of these kids who play video games where the reaction speed and good hand eye is needed. Plenty of them arent gonna have great foot speed or be that athletic. Obviously there is still some level of coordination and athleticism to take one step either way
and pick balls, or throw balls accurately with enough velo. Cal was another who again is one of the best defenders of all time. Incredible hand /eye and coordination but was not fleet of foot. Hardy another. Its legandary how slow Hardy was yet its also legendary how good the hand/eye was at so many activites/sports. Great motor skills.

Brooks was not a fast runner but his reflexes were lightning quick and he had great hands.  I spent a lot of time Tuesday night watching videos of Brooks.  His mechanics were flawless.  Bill Ripken spoke this morning and called Brooks play in the field "beautiful".  I think that is the word.  

@mikeghg

#54 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 07:09 PM

I'm surprised he didn't make it to 3K hits.

He probably could have hung on for a couple of years to reach the milestone. However, He was going to get in without the 3k hits. More importantly, He had a life (his children were teenagers) and business opportunities in Baltimore that were probably more important than a number.

#55 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,670 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 07:11 PM

He probably could have hung on for a couple of years to reach the milestone. However, He was going to get in without the 3k hits. More importantly, He had a life (his children were teenagers) and business opportunities in Baltimore that were probably more important than a number.

Meh. Weaver wasnt gonna play him. I guess he couldve maybe went elsewhere but looking at his numbers I cant see him getting there. He completely hit a wall the last full year he played. He was washed up

#56 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 07:57 PM

Meh. Weaver wasnt gonna play him. I guess he couldve maybe went elsewhere but looking at his numbers I cant see him getting there. He completely hit a wall the last full year he played. He was washed up

I meant he could have went elsewhere and played for a couple of years to get the 152 hits. Seattle showed some interest and he was so well liked,he would have gotten some regular PT to get the opportunity. That said, I agree that he has pretty much done by 1976. It was time to hang them up.

#57 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 11:58 PM

I meant he could have went elsewhere and played for a couple of years to get the 152 hits. Seattle showed some interest and he was so well liked,he would have gotten some regular PT to get the opportunity. That said, I agree that he has pretty much done by 1976. It was time to hang them up.

In his last two full seasons here, which were 1975 and 1976, Brooks posted batting averages of .201 and .211, respectively. That wasn't going to improve with time. Plus, the Orioles had Doug DeCinces ready and had to find a place for him in the lineup.

I never heard of Seattle showing any interest so I'll take your word for it, although Brooks ending up in Seattle would have been like Johnny Unitas playing his final season in San Diego. Both of them probably held on a few years longer than they should have, but when you've been that good for that long, I guess you've earned that privilege.

#58 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 07:09 AM

In his last two full seasons here, which were 1975 and 1976, Brooks posted batting averages of .201 and .211, respectively. That wasn't going to improve with time. Plus, the Orioles had Doug DeCinces ready and had to find a place for him in the lineup.

I never heard of Seattle showing any interest so I'll take your word for it, although Brooks ending up in Seattle would have been like Johnny Unitas playing his final season in San Diego. Both of them probably held on a few years longer than they should have, but when you've been that good for that long, I guess you've earned that privilege.

He never had great homerun power but after 1971, it vanished almost completely.  Still, he did manage to hit a solid .288 in 1974 before falling off the cliff offensively so it's understandable that he and the Orioles felt he could still hit for a decent average and get on base entering the 1975 season.  Plenty of players from that era stayed on a few years too long but they didn't have millions of dollars sitting in bank accounts with the leverage to quit while still productive. 

#59 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,862 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 September 2023 - 12:16 AM

Been gone this week, but wanted to catch up here.

I really started following MLB/Orioles maybe a year or 2 after Brooks retired.  His Legend still made him a favorite, even if I didn't watch him.

Rest in Peace Brooks.

Let's win every series in 5.

• Mike B likes this

#60 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 06:31 AM

Been gone this week, but wanted to catch up here.

I really started following MLB/Orioles maybe a year or 2 after Brooks retired.  His Legend still made him a favorite, even if I didn't watch him.

Rest in Peace Brooks.

Let's win every series in 5.

Winning that nights game 5-1 was enough for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=