244 replies to this topic

#201 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:15 PM

My guess is they would've PH for Bethancourt (he has a 71 OPS+ - he's an absolute liability at the plate). Letting Raley beat you meant they didn't have to pinch hit for him. Aranda came on in the top of the 9th, so I assume he would've been called upon there in the 7th. Aranda is a .208 hitter with a 97 OPS+, or a .698 OPS. 

OK, you certainly have thought this through. My thinking is that Bradish had retired 12 of 13 hitters at that point, so he would have either gotten Raley to chase a ball out of the zone or take a walk. Bradish just did the one thing he couldn't do at that point.

These games against the Rays this year have typically been tight and low scoring. We've scored 37 runs in the 10 games and they've scored 34. Every run matters, so I can see not wanting to put the go-ahead run on base. Not arguing what you're saying about Bethancourt, but we just went through two nights of seeing Richie Palacios become Stan the Man for the Cardinals.

#202 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Intentionally walk a guy to put the go ahead runner on in a tie game?

Horrible strategy. (Unless it's Barry Bonds in his prime.)
  • Mackus and mdrunning like this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#203 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

I’ll venmo you a couple rounds of Coors Light worth of funds when we win.

Do you have Zelle? I'll get in on this. :)

#204 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,685 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:21 PM

Intentionally walk a guy to put the go ahead runner on in a tie game?

Horrible strategy. (Unless it's Barry Bonds in his prime.)

Yeah intentional walk doesnt sit with me at all. If you want to try to be perfect with your pitch and be ok if you walk him thats one thing. Im not on board with a straight IBB. He didnt execute. I mean beyond the fact that yeah you put a runner on base its also ideal to you know get the #8 hitter and have the #9 hitter lead off the 8th instead of Diaz

• mdrunning likes this

#205 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:29 PM

Yeah intentional walk doesnt sit with me at all. If you want to try to be perfect with your pitch and be ok if you walk him thats one thing. Im not on board with a straight IBB. He didnt execute. I mean beyond the fact that yeah you put a runner on base its also ideal to you know get the #8 hitter and have the #9 hitter lead off the 8th instead of Diaz

Sometimes you get beaten.

That was one of those times.

#206 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:29 PM

Yeah intentional walk doesnt sit with me at all. If you want to try to be perfect with your pitch and be ok if you walk him thats one thing. Im not on board with a straight IBB. He didnt execute. 

It's not a straight intentional walk. It's walking him on a hitter's count so that you take the 3-1 count bat out of the hands of an .830 OPS hitter. 

MLB hitters are hitting .346 / .716 / .643 this year on a 3-1 count. 

The only count where hitters are hitting better than that monstrous line is when they're given a green light on a 3-0 pitch (.360 / .940 / .822).

#207 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,723 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:38 PM

I’m sad
  • You Play to Win the Game and mdrunning like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#208 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,723 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:38 PM

I really feel like this was the last night of our magical season

We had our best starter going and nothing.

Now we gotta rely on Flaherty to stop the bleeding.

Sad

@bopper33

#209 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,685 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:42 PM

4 perfect innings from the Rays pen. 7 Ks. Thats unacceptable. Those are postseason ABs. Teams will only use their best arms in these situations in the playoffs. Doesnt matter if its the 5th inning. Its all high leverage. They have to have better ABs. Period. Embarrasing what they did to us tonight. Its one thing to not score. To completely roll over over and not work ABs is disgusting. And it started long before TB got here.

#210 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,685 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:48 PM

I agree with Ricker that I expect them to fight like hell tomorrow. Will be a crazy atmosphere. Lose tho and Sat and Sun are the days where Ill consider the Cerrano tactic of betting the Rays and hoping I lose money instead of my mind.

#211 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,407 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:53 PM

This Hyde stuff is going way too far. He's obviously doing something right given the team's record. Yes, there are some questionable decisions in terms of starting lineup, bullpen usage, and bench usage, but anyone who knows anything knows that's not solely under his purview. So seriously what are we doing here? Like can we be real or would y'all like to live in some fantasy land?

And I'm not even some Hyde fanboy, but only Elias fanboys and those that just don't know any better would be bashing Hyde endlessly for this.

Oh, and even if you somehow think Elias is hands off on this, who hired Hyde?
  • DuffMan, russsnyder and mdrunning like this

#212 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,407 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:55 PM

I was there tonight and I'll be there tomorrow too. Good atmosphere tonight given the more limited crowd size, but tomorrow should be electric! Can't wait!
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#213 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 10:04 PM

This Hyde stuff is going way too far. He's obviously doing something right given the team's record. Yes, there are some questionable decisions in terms of starting lineup, bullpen usage, and bench usage, but anyone who knows anything knows that's not solely under his purview. So seriously what are we doing here? Like can we be real or would y'all like to live in some fantasy land?

And I'm not even some Hyde fanboy, but only Elias fanboys and those that just don't know any better would be bashing Hyde endlessly for this.

My only gripe with Hyde (and it's a big one) was pitching to Raley on a 3-1 count. I gave all the reasons why it was a bad idea. 

I was there tonight and I'll be there tomorrow too. Good atmosphere tonight given the more limited crowd size, but tomorrow should be electric! Can't wait!

But yes, tomorrow is another day. 

#214 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 04:16 AM

Tampa is just better than us talent wise up and down the roster. They're also more battle tested. It was always going to be difficult to hold them off. No shame in whatever happens. This is still a young team finding their way.

• russsnyder likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#215 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 04:49 AM

This is an excellent post, as I too don't get the Hyde hate. This team overachieved last season and developed into a legitimate contender this season. Watch out, He has good chance of winning back to back Manager of the year awards.

Understandably, there was a lot of frustration last evening and some of it was directed at Hyde. I also don't get the whole "Hyde needs to argue balls and strikes to protect his players angle." One,I bet there was a bunch of chirping from both dugouts because of that huge zone last night. The only time Hyde should come out protect his player would be if the player was arguing balls and strikes, or if the home plate ump umpire baited one his players into an argument. Neither of these situations occurred last night

I think you are spot on as to how much Hyde and Elias are intertwined. That's just the way these organizations are run. Also, a guy who played ball at the same community college with me years ago coached for decades in the Orioles organization. He worked for Elias for a couple of seasons before he was let go. According to him, Hyde literally has a book that was given him by the front office. That book gives direction on how to manage in any given scenario. Perhaps it was the bourbon talking, but I think it's not far fetched to believe that Hyde gets his matching orders from Elias.

#216 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 04:56 AM

I really feel like this was the last night of our magical season

We had our best starter going and nothing.

Now we gotta rely on Flaherty to stop the bleeding.

Sad

Hey, Joe Saunders pitched his ass off in a Wild Card game. Maybe Flaherty pitches his ass off tonight.

#217 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 06:07 AM

The local GMs would have a new manager after every loss and probably some wins.

The Orioles so far have 91 wins 2 years after 110 losses.  This guy sucks!

• DuffMan likes this

#218 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 06:15 AM

I'm really bummed that Flaherty is starting tonight. I think it's a bad decision, and he should've been skipped. Hoping for the best, it's a huge game. Crowd should be wild.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#219 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,723 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 06:27 AM

$100 bet on Tampa is in. As expected they offered a 50% boost on DK

Go Os

@bopper33

#220 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 06:27 AM

I'm really bummed that Flaherty is starting tonight. I think it's a bad decision, and he should've been skipped. Hoping for the best, it's a huge game. Crowd should be wild.

I'm less worried about the pitching and more concerned with the past few days of hitting.  15 strikeouts last night.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=