• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:31 AM

ESPN: Yoshinobu Yamamoto throws no-hitter with Yanks' Cashman, other execs on hand

https://www.espn.com...ther-execs-hand

Would love to see the Orioles land him, to team with Bradish and Rodriguez at the front of the rotation. 

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:33 AM

Ohtani seems more realistic to me. Angelos at least knows who he is and maybe could consider the $400-500M it'll take to be a bigger-than-baseball investment. So like 1-in-a-million chance. Spending $200M on someone he's never heard of from Japan is more like 1-in-ten-million.
  • makoman likes this

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:34 AM

Pretty funny stuff.

#4 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:43 AM

Could be very expensive if his Japanese team opts to post him. Under the posting agreement between NPB and MLB, the MLB club that eventually signs Yamamoto would need to pay the Buffaloes a fee that is equal to 20% of the contract’s first $25MM, plus 17.5% of the next $25MM and 15% of any dollars committed thereafter.

The biggest concern I've read about Yamamoto is his size--he's listed as 5-10 and 170 lbs.--and whether a man with such a slight frame can endure in the majors. There are certainly examples of pitchers of smaller stature who did go on to enjoy long major league careers. Ron Guidry comes to mind.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:44 AM

Yes, it's certainly hard to imagine the O's being willing to pony up $200M. 
Just saying he would be an ideal add. 

If the O's are going to add a real front-end starter, it figures to happen via trade. 

Most likely they basically run it back with the options they have....  Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, Wells...   Irvin, maybe Gibson on another 1 year deal, or another 1-2 year vet option.

• Mackus likes this

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,347 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:48 AM

If the O's are going to add a real front-end starter, it figures to happen via trade. 

Most likely they basically run it back with the options they have....  Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, Wells...   Irvin, maybe Gibson on another 1 year deal, or another 1-2 year vet option.

If Irvin or Gibson are on this team next year then I will be totally done with the FO ownership and GM. We have a load of excess talent that can be parlayed into a front end starter this winter.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 09:59 AM

Most likely they basically run it back with the options they have.... Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, Wells... Irvin, maybe Gibson on another 1 year deal, or another 1-2 year vet option.

The wide chasm between what they should do and what I expect them to do remains disappointing. Maybe they'll confound those expectations. Should be a real fun September and October before we need to worry about another demoralizing off-season.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 10:04 AM

The wide chasm between what they should do and what I expect them to do remains disappointing. Maybe they'll confound those expectations. Should be a real fun September and October before we need to worry about another demoralizing off-season.

I'll be interested to see what O's fans think the over / under for '24 wins is if... 

- NY, Boston, Toronto each look 5-10 games better on paper

- The O's don't do anything of significance over the Winter. 

#9 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 September 2023 - 10:05 AM

Ohtani seems more realistic to me. Angelos at least knows who he is and maybe could consider the $400-500M it'll take to be a bigger-than-baseball investment. So like 1-in-a-million chance. Spending $200M on someone he's never heard of from Japan is more like 1-in-ten-million.

You think Ohtani is still going to get a mega deal like that with the pending TJ surgery and only being able to hit next year?

I think it's going to affect things, I'm just not sure how much. I doubt this will be his last run with arm troubles considering how much he uses it, and the velo he throws his secondaries. But do you just consider anything pitching a bonus and sign him based on being in the field? Does he get penalized since he'll just be a DH for a year recovering from surgery?

Been thinking about this one a lot the past couple weeks.

@JeremyMStrain

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 10:06 AM

You think Ohtani is still going to get a mega deal like that with the pending TJ surgery and only being able to hit next year?

Yes, that's the discounted price. $600M+ if he hadn't gotten hurt. 12 years @ $50M per easily. I'm thinking more like 10-11 @ $45M now, but could see him closer to the uninjured price.

He's a better buy as a hitter than Aaron Judge, IMO. And he's at least a solid #2 SP on top of that even if he misses a year for rehab. So $35-40M bat and $25-30M arm. "Only" $50M a year is a steal.
  • JeremyStrain and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#11 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 10:08 AM

I wanted Senga. 5 years, but that looks like it would have been a good get so far. But I didn’t think it was realistic, that he’d choose Baltimore or that we’d try, and this seems even way less so. Just have to resign ourselves that we don’t play in that kind of market.
  • Mackus likes this

#12 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 10:15 AM

If Irvin or Gibson are on this team next year then I will be totally done with the FO ownership and GM. We have a load of excess talent that can be parlayed into a front end starter this winter.

Gibson won't be on the team. Irvin is under control and is adequate as a long man or 6thish spot starter IMO. Means and Wells are pretty big question marks to be in the rotation IMO, not sure Wells can hold up for a whole year starting and still don't know how Means responds coming back. I hope they get someone on par with Bradish/Grayson for a nice top 3, more likely it's another 1/10M type of guy, so another back end.

#13 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 10:25 AM

I wanted Senga. 5 years, but that looks like it would have been a good get so far. But I didn’t think it was realistic, that he’d choose Baltimore or that we’d try, and this seems even way less so. Just have to resign ourselves that we don’t play in that kind of market.

The new posting system gives NPB players much more negotiating leverage than the old. They can now pick and choose from any team willing to pay the posting fee.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 10:28 AM

The new posting system gives NPB players much more negotiating leverage than the old. They can now pick and choose from any team willing to pay the posting fee.

Not only that, but the posting fee is a percentage of the contract they sign. Good for everyone, IMO.

#15 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 10:31 AM

Not only that, but the posting fee is a percentage of the contract they sign. Good for everyone, IMO.

Long-gone are the days when Seattle paid $13 million for the rights to Ichiro, then signed him for three years and $14 million. Even by the standards of the time, that proved to be the bargain of the century.

It did however, allow a small market like Seattle to land what proved to be a mega-star.

#16 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,347 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 September 2023 - 11:29 AM

Gibson won't be on the team. Irvin is under control and is adequate as a long man or 6thish spot starter IMO. Means and Wells are pretty big question marks to be in the rotation IMO, not sure Wells can hold up for a whole year starting and still don't know how Means responds coming back. I hope they get someone on par with Bradish/Grayson for a nice top 3, more likely it's another 1/10M type of guy, so another back end.

Fine if Irvin is a spot starter or long relief guy (at best). But if the best we do this winter for the rotation is a Gibsonesque signing then I will consider the offseason and our FO as an epic fail. They didn't do anything last winter but they had their excuse. They couldn't see any path that resulted in winning the division in 2023. Wrong as that approach may have been and turned out to be they have zero excuse for not making a major upgrade to the rotation this winter. They have trade pieces and money galore. No excuse.

#17 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 08:15 AM

Could be very expensive if his Japanese team opts to post him. Under the posting agreement between NPB and MLB, the MLB club that eventually signs Yamamoto would need to pay the Buffaloes a fee that is equal to 20% of the contract’s first $25MM, plus 17.5% of the next $25MM and 15% of any dollars committed thereafter.

The biggest concern I've read about Yamamoto is his size--he's listed as 5-10 and 170 lbs.--and whether a man with such a slight frame can endure in the majors. There are certainly examples of pitchers of smaller stature who did go on to enjoy long major league careers. Ron Guidry comes to mind.

Pedro Martinez comes to mind. Pedro's listed at 5'11", but my guess is he fit the 5'10", 170 lb profile to a tee. T?

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 September 2023 - 10:19 AM

I think it will be expensive and we know the Orioles do not do expensive.

@mikeghg

#19 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 09:08 PM

Pedro Martinez comes to mind. Pedro's listed at 5'11", but my guess is he fit the 5'10", 170 lb profile to a tee. T?

Good catch. Should have thought of Pedro myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=