#23 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,814 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 11:03 PM

Just not impressed with this Angels team

Why would you be? They've punted the rest of their season away.
  • BobPhelan and mdrunning like this

#24 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 11:05 PM

Ten pitches for Perez in the seventh and seven for strikes. He's been a different pitcher since about mid-June when he would have had to improve just to be considered awful. It's good to see him sharp again.

• BobPhelan, Mike B and DuffMan like this

#25 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 11:06 PM

That homer by Tony was impressive, though.

#26 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 September 2023 - 11:11 PM

Break out the brooms.

#27 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 11:12 PM

Ten runs on the board and Gunnar's drawn the collar. Go figure.

#28 BSLLukeRollfinke

BSLLukeRollfinke

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 11:25 PM

I know this was a comfortable win, but six innings of three run ball from Gibson shouldn't be overlooked. I still don't trust him to win us a playoff game (and would be shocked if he was given the opportunity) but in a game where the bullpen was on its last legs, he served up just what the doctor ordered. Love to see it!

@LukeRollfinke

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 11:38 PM

Gibby was very likely to throw 6 innings regardless. Good to see him make it a quality start

#30 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,814 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 11:39 PM

37 games over .500

Feels good, man.

#31 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 12:00 AM

Irvin coming out of the bullpen makes it obvious who Means is replacing next time around.

#32 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 03:05 AM

Nice sweep.

Hays went off last night.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#33 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 06:50 AM

Anytime you can get a 6 inning, 3 run outing from Gibson, it's a gift.  Especially over the past month.  Great sweep and they went right for the jugular against a reeling, inferior opponent.  

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 September 2023 - 06:58 AM

Gibson did what he had to do and saved the pen as much as he could.  I don't think Gibson has been as bad as some are saying.  His issue is he has some real stinkers but for the most part he has been what I expected when the Orioles signed him.

Good job by the 3 relievers who all pitched well last night.  Fuji has been good recently.

@mikeghg

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 September 2023 - 07:08 AM

Way to take care of business on this trip out West!

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 07:12 AM

Gibson did what he had to do and saved the pen as much as he could. I don't think Gibson has been as bad as some are saying. His issue is he has some real stinkers but for the most part he has been what I expected when the Orioles signed him.

Good job by the 3 relievers who all pitched well last night. Fuji has been good recently.

Yes, for the most part he's been about what was expected of him. It's that other part that's the problem though lol.

I think Elias and company were hoping for something more akin to what Kremer has done this year.

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 09:06 AM

Gibson did what he had to do and saved the pen as much as he could.  I don't think Gibson has been as bad as some are saying.  His issue is he has some real stinkers but for the most part he has been what I expected when the Orioles signed him.

Gibson has been exactly what I expected when we signed him, and that's the problem. 

I think he's been as bad as everyone is saying.  Good enough to stay in the rotation without losing his job, but only barely.  Only 5 qualified SP (only 54 guys qualify) in all of MLB have a worse ERA than him.  He's 17th worst if you count anyone with 100+ IP (105 guys).  So he's stayed healthy and he's better than the guys who get the boot, and that includes several of the FAs who were out there, but he's in the bottom 20% of all guys who achieve that threshold.

Gibson has a 5.12 ERA with 82 ERA+ in 168 innings.

Bassitt, to use a common example of a guy many wanted to sign, has a 3.69 ERA with a 116 ERA+ in 173 innings. 

Biggest defense for Gibson, is that his ERA is a lot worse than his FIP/xFIP (actually better than Bassitt).  This also shows up in his fWAR because Fangraphs uses FIP to calculate pitcher WAR instead of runs allowed like BB-ref uses.  So perhaps he's gotten unlucky?  The only peripheral type number that jumps out to me as particularly unlucky is his LOB%.  That's a derived stat, but seems like he's given up more runs than you'd expect for the number of hits/homers he's given up.  Unfortunate sequencing.  

• You Play to Win the Game and mweb08 like this

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 09:10 AM

Regarding FIP, the Wall is presumably beneficial for O's pitchers fielding independent type stats.

#39 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,347 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 September 2023 - 09:25 AM

What Mackus said. Gibson is on this team doing about what he was expected to be doing when he was signed for a team that the FO still believed wasn't really ready to compete. But here we are with the best record in the AL.  I am starting to believe this offense can make it happen in the playoffs. Its quirky and very streaky but on any given day even the #9 hitter can get it done.

The pitching? Gotta stop giving up walks to guys near the bottom of the lineup then giving up the dingers. The good news is the playoff format (which I think is BS) actually helps the O's a fair bit.

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 September 2023 - 09:27 AM

He’s consistently awful after the O’s score some runs for him. That’s awfully anti-veteran of him. Not a fan of the talent, like him as a clubhouse guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=