Photo

MASN: Thoughts on López's return and wondering what else is going on with the Orioles

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 10:43 AM

MASN: Thoughts on López's return and wondering what else is going on with the Orioles

https://www.masnspor...log/thoughts-on

#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,347 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 September 2023 - 11:40 AM

I am worried about Mounty....I know about vertigo and it comes and goes......he's been so good this half.

#3 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 11:58 AM

MASN: Thoughts on López's return and wondering what else is going on with the Orioles

https://www.masnspor...log/thoughts-on

Covid is hitting the Reds.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 September 2023 - 03:48 PM

I am worried about Mounty....I know about vertigo and it comes and goes......he's been so good this half.

Me too.  Hyde did seem to want to answer when asked about Mounty.  

@mikeghg

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,765 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 September 2023 - 06:05 PM

It does look good now. Right?

No.  It will never look good.  That is because the look isn't about the players.  It's about what it represented for a team that has been intentionally non-competitive for 3 seasons, hadn't moved the needle for Season 4 but found themselves (with one of the lowest payrolls in the League, having made no significant moves) in the middle of the Playoff Chase.

The Phillies were the last team in, in the NL only sneaking in on the last day with a Brewer loss.  The Brewers, like the Orioles, were the first teams out.  The Phils wound up making it to the WS.  There's been discussion this year about the Brewers FO promising the team that wouldn't pull things apart like they did last year (Hader trade) because of the consequences if had on the clubhouse.

All of us want to get to the WS.  We could have traded for better players than the return last year from Mancini and Lopez this year with whatever combination of players this year but so what.  Nobody laments the players you don't get when you're winning.  Nobody laments not having an early draft pick.

...and if you like the returns or whatever, great, do it.  The problem isn't the trades you made, it's that you did nothing to say you cared about the 2022 season.  That's THE ONLY ISSUE.  You can Buy, you can Buy and Sell, but you can't just Sell.

...and you don't have to make THAT trade to get some of those guys.  Some want to point to Cano, but Cano was the flawed type player the Orioles have done well acquiring for basically free.  He was a throw-in type in that deal. So if you think you know something about Cano, you get him in the same way we've acquired a dozen other RP-type pitchers.

Also, while Roch wants to point out the Organizational rankings of the 3 pitchers acquired, that's great, but this is YEAR 5 and these flawed pitchers represent the BEST pitching we have in the system...after 5 years without accountability for winning.  I hope they are all great, but right now, none of them are in projected future roles (it may happen, that's fine) so I don't think they should portrayed as some kind of great accomplishment.

Finally, people want to make my comments about Elias, but I'm not sure it's much about him.  People mostly ignore all of the signs we've seen over the last 18 months, but it's entirely reasonable that he was directed to trade them and wasn't allowed to add payroll. All of the comments that Elias gets knocked around on (liftoff BS) could just as reasonably be him trying to make chicken salad out of the chicken shit he's dealt.

He's chosen to stand there so he he gets what he gets, but I doubt it's as much about him (and we see that more and more recently).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=