#1 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 August 2023 - 08:44 AM

So Friday the rosters expand. So who do the O's bring up and do they bring up more than 2 and send somebody down?

I think they will bring up 2 relievers and 1 field player.

Choices seem to be:

Baumann

Wells

Means

Baker

Cowser

Kjerstad

If the ball was in my court:

Call up Wells and Baumann/Means (depending on if they think Means is ready) and Cowser

DFA Fuji

I have seen enough of Fuji. Terrific stuff but just gets hit too hard. Sure they could use him the rest of the way but no way I want him on the post season roster over any of those other guys (Baker would be a toss up). So just get the guys who might be on the post season roster up here and get them going.

I'd be fine with Kjerstad over Cowser too. I hear all the rave about Cowser but not sold yet. His stats since he was sent back down are awful. 9 for 40 with 5 RBIs and no RBIs in his last 7 games.

• russsnyder likes this

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 08:53 AM

Fuji isnt being DFAd. They arent gonna put that arm out there. Maybe they find an injury if they feel they need Baker or Baumann for him.

I suspect we see Wells on Fri as the pitching add. Then when Means is ready ready he comes up for Voth.

Offensively my guess is another LH bat. Probably Kjerstad. Kjerstad isnt currently on the 40 so maybe that plays a part and its someone else. He has to be added by Nov though to be protected in the R5. If Hicks is ready soon maybe just him and they keep McKenna. But I do think they need a LH bat off the bench. On days OHearn and Frazier start against RHP its all righties on the bench.
  • russsnyder likes this

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 08:57 AM

I'd try to claim Moore and Lopez, option Voth if you get both.

But...in the more likely scenario that we can't add either...I'd call up Wells and Ortiz as the extra two guys. 

Swap Voth for Baumann once his 10 days are up.  When Means is ready, I think Irvin goes down.  I wouldn't move on Kjerstad or Cowser yet, both are cold.

• russsnyder likes this

#4 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 August 2023 - 09:02 AM

I'd try to claim Moore and Lopez, option Voth if you get both.

But...in the more likely scenario that we can't add either...I'd call up Wells and Ortiz as the extra two guys. 

Swap Voth for Baumann once his 10 days are up.  When Means is ready, I think Irvin goes down.  I wouldn't move on Kjerstad or Cowser yet, both are cold.

Hicks is still lurking too and I don't see them cutting bait with him so I would really be surprised to see either Kjerstad or Cowser

#5 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 09:06 AM

So Friday the rosters expand. So who do the O's bring up and do they bring up more than 2 and send somebody down?

I think they will bring up 2 relievers and 1 field player.

Choices seem to be:

Baumann

Wells

Means

Baker

Cowser

Kjerstad

If the ball was in my court:

Call up Wells and Baumann/Means (depending on if they think Means is ready) and Cowser

DFA Fuji

I have seen enough of Fuji. Terrific stuff but just gets hit too hard. Sure they could use him the rest of the way but no way I want him on the post season roster over any of those other guys (Baker would be a toss up). So just get the guys who might be on the post season roster up here and get them going.

I'd be fine with Kjerstad over Cowser too. I hear all the rave about Cowser but not sold yet. His stats since he was sent back down are awful. 9 for 40 with 5 RBIs and no RBIs in his last 7 games.

I'm not saying he needs to be called back up this season, but Cowser is 11-44 with 6 XBH (4 doubles, 2 HR) and 7 walks since his return to AAA. Not close to his otherwise gaudy AAA #s, but not exactly awful, either. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 August 2023 - 09:09 AM

Totally forgot about Hicks. Ortiz would be an interesting option but not sure I'd value him over an OFer?

Could care less if they DFA Fuji. So what if some team picks him up. No problem facing him. Our guys would hit him hard just like every body else is doing.

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 August 2023 - 09:19 AM

I'm not saying he needs to be called back up this season, but Cowser is 11-44 with 6 XBH (4 doubles, 2 HR) and 7 walks since his return to AAA. Not close to his otherwise gaudy AAA #s, but not exactly awful, either. 

We can just disagree on this one.

12 games since he was sent back down. One multi hit game (3 for 5). The rest of the 11 games he has gone 8 for 35. And in his last 7 hes gone 4 for 24. Awful IMO.

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 August 2023 - 09:24 AM

Fuji isnt being DFAd. They arent gonna put that arm out there. Maybe they find an injury if they feel they need Baker or Baumann for him.

I suspect we see Wells on Fri as the pitching add. Then when Means is ready ready he comes up for Voth.

Offensively my guess is another LH bat. Probably Kjerstad. Kjerstad isnt currently on the 40 so maybe that plays a part and its someone else. He has to be added by Nov though to be protected in the R5. If Hicks is ready soon maybe just him and they keep McKenna. But I do think they need a LH bat off the bench. On days OHearn and Frazier start against RHP its all righties on the bench.

Fuji has options.  I think they could option him to AAA.  

@mikeghg

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 August 2023 - 09:29 AM

I will be surprised if the position player is not a catcher.  I will happily admit I was wrong, if they call up Kjerstad or Cowser.

@mikeghg

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 09:44 AM

I will be surprised if the position player is not a catcher.  I will happily admit I was wrong, if they call up Kjerstad or Cowser.

I think it'll be neither a catcher nor Kjerstad nor Cowser.

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 August 2023 - 09:51 AM

I think it'll be neither a catcher nor Kjerstad nor Cowser.

Ortiz, Hicks or Hunter Renfroe?

Sorry, couldn't resist the last one.

@mikeghg

#12 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 09:57 AM

We can just disagree on this one.

12 games since he was sent back down. One multi hit game (3 for 5). The rest of the 11 games he has gone 8 for 35. And in his last 7 hes gone 4 for 24. Awful IMO.

The Orioles don't need an overwhelmed Cowser in September. Let him finish the year in Norfolk. I think Hicks will be the position player and I'm fine with Hicks and McKenna as the extra outfielders going forward.

Like Mackus, I'm intrigued by Lopez as a waiver claim if he falls that far. Not so much by Moore. I think Wells will absolutely be one of the pitchers brought up.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#13 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 August 2023 - 10:04 AM

I will be surprised if the position player is not a catcher. I will happily admit I was wrong, if they call up Kjerstad or Cowser.

I would be shocked if it was a catcher.

Wells and Kjerstad IMO.
  • russsnyder likes this

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 10:16 AM

Like Mackus, I'm intrigued by Lopez as a waiver claim if he falls that far. Not so much by Moore. I think Wells will absolutely be one of the pitchers brought up.

Moore's been a stud since moving to the bullpen in 2022.  2.08 ERA in 117 IP.  3.19 FIP.

Neither will make it to the O's, but it'd be ludicrous for Elias to not put in a claim for both of them.  Should only cost about $2M over the rest of the regular season.  I'll hear all complaints and criticisms of Angelos that anyone wants to claim, but I'd be surprised if he vetoes those moves over such a small amount.

• russsnyder likes this

#15 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 10:22 AM

Moore's been a stud since moving to the bullpen in 2022. 2.08 ERA in 117 IP. 3.19 FIP.

Neither will make it to the O's, but it'd be ludicrous for Elias to not put in a claim for both of them. Should only cost about $2M over the rest of the regular season. I'll hear all complaints and criticisms of Angelos that anyone wants to claim, but I'd be surprised if he vetoes those moves over such a small amount.

You convinced me.

I'm all in on both, however, I think you are correct that they don't make it to the Orioles.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#16 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 12:02 PM

They're playing Frazier in LF today, which makes me think a left-handed hitting outfielder is a need.  Maybe Hicks can fill that need, though.

#17 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 06:26 PM

The only problem I see with this scenario is bringing Cowser back up could possibly affect his rookie status and service time. If he did well his first time up and was sent back simply due to a roster crunch, then fine. But why do so when he hasn't demonstrated he belongs in the majors?

#18 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 06:27 PM

I would be shocked if it was a catcher.

Wells and Kjerstad IMO.

Wouldn't promoting Kjerstad require a 40-man move as well?

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 06:45 PM

Wouldn't promoting Kjerstad require a 40-man move as well?

Yes. As will activating Means.

Zimmerman and Gillespie seem like pretty easy calls. Also could 60-day Felix if not expecting him back.

#20 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 August 2023 - 06:51 PM

Yes. As will activating Means.

Zimmerman and Gillespie seem like pretty easy calls. Also could 60-day Felix if not expecting him back.

Joey Krehbiel as well.

Wouldn't be particularly tough to make room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=