14 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:50 AM

Hope for the best with Felix obviously.
If it's short-term the silver lining is he could get some extra rest.

If he is out for the year, will they move Rodriguez to the pen?

Grayson is already facing inning concerns.
He could overwhelm guys an inning at a time.

6 man rotation currently being used.

Is this the best option?
My counter to myself is that I would want Grayson starting Game 2 vs anyone else.

Hall has been recalled and will get usage.
Wells figures to be up soon to help as well.

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:51 AM

Robbing Peter to pay Paul - but due to the innings concern I wouldn’t rule it out.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:54 AM

He's got the right mentality, been really good when he's needed to dig deep since returning.

I'd say no, because I get the feeling they aren't going to be doing much in terms of innings limits.  They seem to think more in terms of pitches per game and per inning.  They'll observe and shut a guy down if needed, like Wells, but I'm guessing they won't be doing any preventative innings cuts.

If they are going to put on the breaks once he hits a certain number and wouldn't let him start in the postseason, then I like the idea.  Salvage some use out of him in the playoffs.  But again, I doubt this is the case.

• BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,346 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:56 AM

I don't do this unless I have no choice due to innings. Do you want a playoff rotation of Bradish, Kremer, Gibson, and Flaherty? Pretty weak IMO. Now all 4 of those can have a solid outing but Bradish is the only one of them I am comfortable with really.

#5 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 11:57 AM

I think we need Grayson as a starter in the post season more than we need him to relieve. I'm still holding on to the miracle that Means can be an effective starter by October because I don't think we have enough starting pitching right now to win it all.

There's only one Mountain but we can piecemeal the bullpen together the rest of the way and hope for the best. Hopefully Fujinami has found his way because we're gonna really need him now.

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,346 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2023 - 12:05 PM

If nobody steps up to be a shutdown closer close to what Felix has been then I think the real key is going to be the offense. They are going to have to start scoring more consistently especially in the playoffs. Not do like last night. Push the opposing starter around in the first then go to sleep till late. 

#7 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 12:27 PM

IMO the answer is to go BPBC (bullpen by committee) and be willing to change the definitions of highest leverage situations. From the perspective of the 7th inning, with the top of the order due up down two runs represents a pretty freakin high leverage situation compared to whatever may happen in the 9th inning. 

#8 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 12:35 PM

They will push Cano into the closer role, has 4 saves, and then bring Wells up for set/closer duties (closer 2 years ago). I want GRod in the rotation.

Please please please let Felix be ok

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,762 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 August 2023 - 12:47 PM

Hoping for the best with Felix.  Whatever the answer is, games to play.  Show up.

Interested to see where Tyler Wells is in terms of velocity and stuff.  Going back to his first outing of the year he's certainly a 'do whatever it takes' kind of mentality.  Been great as a starter but kind of hit a wall (it seems) and maybe the rest will get him back.  Relief experience and looks like bullpen option for the rest of this season.

I don't want to see GRod in the bullpen.  Bullpen is erratic schedule.  It's faster warmup.  All roles, but especially the closer role, is high intensity, max effort pitches (why guys' stuff ticks up).  GRod is approaching an innings limit because of how you want to manage the wear on his arm at his age.  Bullpen would seem like the worst of all cases for how you want to manage his workload.  It's not just fewer innings, it's how you get to those inning and effort in them.

#10 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 01:33 PM

If Buatista is done for the year, it is a huge hit to the Orioles chances for getting to the WS.  And, of course, I am stating the obvious.  The O's have the 2nd best record in MLB, just 3 1/2 games behind Atlanta.  But they are 6th in run differential.  They are +36 ahead of Minnesota who is barely above .500, and 80+ behind Atlanta, Texas, and Tampa.  The way you get to such a disparity between record and run differential is by winning a good majority of close games.  A huge part of that is Bautista.  He is the only guy who can deny the opposition the chance to at least put the ball in play.  And he is an invaluable asset in an extra inning game on the road.   If a team can't at least put the ball in play, their odds of winning crater.  Anybody else on the mound, a SB or hitting the other way gets the runner to third where a fly ball can score him.  Not all of those games that went the O's way go into the win column without Buatista.  The only real saving grace is that I understand the ghost runner rule is not in effect in the playoffs, so at least a team will have to earn it's way when it comes to extra innings.   

#11 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 August 2023 - 01:46 PM

Grayson's upside as a starter is hard to let go of for the postseason, especially with a lot of meh in the rotation other than he and Bradish.

I think DL Hall is the X factor here. Let's see how he looks because the upside is high but it's also quite possible that he's just another guy in the pen or worse.

If he's really good though plus if Wells is added to the pen, they can manage the situation.

Means might be another factor here if he can earn enough confidence in him to push a SP to the pen.

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2023 - 02:30 PM

I would be concerned that the change in Grayson’s role from starter to closer, may put more stress on his arm.  

I think Wells and Cano will be the closers.

I want Grayson following Bradish in the playoff rotation.

@mikeghg

#13 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:22 PM

15 day IL. I'd give him the rest of the season. UCL/elbow injury.

#14 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,346 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:39 PM

He'll get transferred to the 60 day soon enough. Is what it is. Next man up. Bummed for the O's but especially Felix. Stay strong Mountain.

• 85Knight likes this

#15 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,661 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 09:12 AM

See you in 2025 Felix!

As for Grayson, let him eat. Maybe skip a start in September. I don't see how you can rest him now.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=