#181 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2023 - 09:59 AM

A closer always gets ridden hard, but I agree, the human arm is not meant to throw anything 102 MPH.  Hopefully it is not season ending.  If they can get him healthy, and freshen him up a bit, maybe he is dominant in the playoffs.

I suspect that the news is not going to be good.  I am basing that on Elias’s face last night and Hyde’s demeanor in the presser.  Neither of them have much of a poker face.

Yeah they can come play in my game tonight. Their demeanor said it all. He's done. But I think we still are well in the mix. But no sugar coating this is a significant blow. To me the issue isn't so much the need to find a closer. Its that we had some potential pieces coming up/back Sept 1st which would help replace some of our struggling pieces. Now we have to replace our best piece. Once again less margin for error and this falls back on the FO.

#182 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:01 AM

Just hope we will have him next year, if he can’t go the rest of the way this year. That is far from a guarantee based on what we’ve seen and heard so far.

#183 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:11 AM

I'll be shocked if we see him before 2025. Arms that throw 100+ are meant to implode.

#184 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:15 AM

Well Rose just posted a Twitter/X comment saying Hall has been recalled. Didn't say who he was replacing but pretty obvious.

#185 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:18 AM

This is a devastating loss if he's out for the year (and potentially next year). He's been the biggest contributor to wins this season by a significant margin using WPA where he's 2nd in baseball among pitchers.

We all thought the pen was a need for the deadline, which was hardly addressed, so this greatly weakens an area of the team that already needed another high leverage dude and is an area of the team that has been heavily leaned on this year. 

Yes, though, the team has been resilient all year so hopefully they overcome this too.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mackus like this

#186 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,308 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:19 AM

Yeah they can come play in my game tonight. Their demeanor said it all. He's done. But I think we still are well in the mix. But no sugar coating this is a significant blow. To me the issue isn't so much the need to find a closer. Its that we had some potential pieces coming up/back Sept 1st which would help replace some of our struggling pieces. Now we have to replace our best piece. Once again less margin for error and this falls back on the FO.

Agreed but this is a resilient group of players that are young and probably don't know any better.  If anything, it may just unify them even more.  The more I think about it, I doubt any one pitcher will fill that role.  I would imagine Hyde will do it by committee and go with whoever he thinks gives them the best chance at that moment.  Hall certainly fits into that mix but so will others. 

#187 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:46 AM

This is a devastating loss if he's out for the year (and potentially next year). He's been the biggest contributor to wins this season by a significant margin using WPA where he's 2nd in baseball among pitchers.

We all thought the pen was a need for the deadline, which was hardly addressed, so this greatly weakens an area of the team that already needed another high leverage dude and is an area of the team that has been heavily leaned on this year.

Yes, though, the team has been resilient all year so hopefully they overcome this too.

Oh stop it you BSL Free Agent darling! It’s only cool if we win while lining Angelos’ pockets, try and keep up.

Am I doing this right, Glenn?

#188 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2023 - 10:58 AM

My biggest concerns with our other options is the dreaded walks and home run balls.

#189 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 12:10 PM

Yeah I was thinking last night I hope he doesn't have to miss all or most of next season as well.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#190 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,407 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 01:15 PM

If hes out for '24 Id like to think it makes a pursuit of Hader more likely. But yeah good luck with that dream

#191 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:04 PM

If hes out for '24 Id like to think it makes a pursuit of Hader more likely. But yeah good luck with that dream

Hader's likely to get a multi-year deal to begin with. You're not getting him as a one-year bridge until Felix comes back.

#192 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:18 PM

Hader's likely to get a multi-year deal to begin with. You're not getting him as a one-year bridge until Felix comes back.

yeah it would be so terrible to have Hader and Felix......the horror.....lol But then this is JA we are talking about

#193 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:45 PM

Can we just have nice things? WTF!!

#194 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,407 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:58 PM

Oh,I know. Truth is Felix likely is never the same. Thats not to say he cant be a damn good RP . Just not the same

#195 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 04:05 PM

yeah it would be so terrible to have Hader and Felix......the horror.....lol But then this is JA we are talking about

If John Angelos can bring himself to spend, I'd rather have the money put elsewhere. 

Ryan Pressley closed five of the six World Series games for Houston last year and he's no one's idea of an elite closer.

#196 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2023 - 05:26 PM

If John Angelos can bring himself to spend, I'd rather have the money put elsewhere. 

Ryan Pressley closed five of the six World Series games for Houston last year and he's no one's idea of an elite closer.

I hear you and don't disagree. Much anyway. As pointed out closing is THE one place where the O's are ahead of the pack. Our offense is fine. Our SP is ok. Our BP is ok. But our closing is one of the main reasons we have such a great record in close games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=