#41 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,702 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:20 PM

Putting the cart way before the horse here but can you imagine he if showed his face at a parade in October??

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,499 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:22 PM

Putting the cart way before the horse here but can you imagine he if showed his face at a parade in October??

Would be like his Dad's speech at 2131.

• makoman likes this

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,561 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:24 PM

It would be called the John Angelos Parade. You guys seriously think there’s a universe where he wouldn’t show up and be prominently featured? (Hey everyone, look what I did, stop calling me trust fund baby)
  • Mike B likes this

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,548 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:25 PM

I might have to fly back for that one....with a couple dozen rotten eggs in my luggage.

#45 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,644 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:28 PM

I understand what you are saying, but don't this asshat, chase you away from following what may turn out to be some of the best years of the franchise.
I have no interest in the A's, expansion etc. I have followed them for over 55 years, so for me, they are it.

Sell the team jackass.

I get that. Like I said, the franchise will always be in my heart but Im pretty sure I can disconnect or become casual under this ownership. Will never root against them or find another team. Just wont invest time, money or anything else under this ownership. But dont begrudge anyone for doing what they want. If you can hold your nose and be invested with this douchebag as the owner then more power to you.

#46 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:29 PM

Couldn't read it, I punched my computer screen when I saw his smug face come up when I clicked on the link and now my screen is cracked (kidding I don't get the times my screen is okay, not kidding he does have a smug face)

I hit esc as the article was loading and that allowed me to read it, wish I hadn't.  That man pisses me off.   He even had the onions to mention the "books" again.

“Well, that’s a good question,” Angelos said. “But let’s say we sat down and showed you the financials for the Orioles. You will quickly see that when people talk about giving this player $200 million, that player $150 million, we would be so financially underwater that you’d have to raise the prices massively.

This other quote was rich as well...

His priority for now is not a lease extension — Angelos does not like the word lease — but a “public-private partnership” that would reinvent the Camden Yards campus.

#47 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,667 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:29 PM

It would be called the John Angelos Parade. You guys seriously think there’s a universe where he wouldn’t show up and be prominently featured? (Hey everyone, look what I did, stop calling me trust fund baby)

You are right.  John, has basically accomplished nothing on his own.  His biggest accomplishment, is being born to a father who made a ton of money.  

@mikeghg

#48 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,743 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:36 PM

In my experience, O's tickets have always been far less expensive than comparable tickets in other MLB cities. It's nice. But if raising prices is what it takes to keep or add talent, I don't see any alternative.

With that said, I don't think any team (except maybe the Rays) are incapable of consistently maintaining a 150M+ payroll. That's just a lie owners sell to maximize profits. 

Concessions are among the most expensive in MLB. I was in NY this year and their prices are inline with ours.

• weird-O likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#49 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,548 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:38 PM

I hit esc as the article was loading and that allowed me to read it, wish I hadn't.  That man pisses me off.   He even had the onions to mention the "books" again.

This other quote was rich as well...

This was the funniest (not really in a good way) part to me.

Angelos said the team was reviewing the internal processes that resulted in discipline for the broadcaster, Kevin Brown, who merely pointed out on air that the Orioles used to struggle mightily in road games against the Tampa Bay Rays. Angelos said he hoped that Brown would remain with the team for a long time. “Nothing like that is going to happen again,” he added. “It shouldn’t have happened once.”

So basically John is having a conversation with himself that goes something like, "Gee, I thought fans would have preferred we just pretend the past and all that losing never existed."

#50 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,743 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:40 PM

My blood is boiling. I think I hate John Boy more than his father which I once thought would be an impossibility.

Sell. The. F-ing. Team.

Especially if you say it's not making you enough money. So you failed. Let someone else try.

But we all know that's a lie.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#51 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts

The NYT should be embarrassed for carrying Angelos’ water by running that press release. 

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,561 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I get that. Like I said, the franchise will always be in my heart but Im pretty sure I can disconnect or become casual under this ownership. Will never root against them or find another team. Just wont invest time, money or anything else under this ownership. But dont begrudge anyone for doing what they want. If you can hold your nose and be invested with this douchebag as the owner then more power to you.

I think you gotta stay all in as long as Elias and company are here. I get the irony of that statement coming from me, trust me. The more I come to understand trust fund baby, the more I realize how silly all my angst towards Elias was. In any event, I get it though man, I really do. This just sucks.

#53 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,000 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:41 PM

Sell the team or follow your father out the door.

#54 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,743 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:43 PM

The NYT should be embarrassed for carrying Angelos’ water by running that press release. 

Yeah WTF man. We need some journalists with balls here. All they do is nod at his answers. Push him when he starts talking nonsense. Make him stammer and get angry again. Make him look like the douche he is. The more attention they put on him being a total asshat the better.

Sounds like he may have learned a lesson from the Kevin Brown debacle.

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:43 PM

Please sell.

#56 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,548 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:44 PM

Connolly was never afraid to call them out. Too bad he was let go by The Athletic. I wonder who owns The Athletic these days???

#57 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,644 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:54 PM

I think you gotta stay all in as long as Elias and company are here. I get the irony of that statement coming from me, trust me. The more I come to understand trust fund baby, the more I realize how silly all my angst towards Elias was. In any event, I get it though man, I really do. This just sucks.

He will be gone soon enough or Angelos poison will seep into all the good he has done. I was ahead of the curve on Elias and buying into what he was doing and confident we would get results at the ML level. Ill continue to be ahead of the curve going forward. Ownership is pure poison. I was hopeful that wasnt the case. Becoming quite apparent that it is the case. Im pretty demoralized man. Ill bury my head and root like hell the rest of the year and maybe longer. However, just like 2013 or 2014 when I knew there was an expiration date coming on all that there is another one around the corner now. The poison will get in and rot soon enough.

#58 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,667 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:54 PM

Yeah WTF man. We need some journalists with balls here. All they do is nod at his answers. Push him when he starts talking nonsense. Make him stammer and get angry again. Make him look like the douche he is. The more attention they put on him being a total asshat the better.

Sounds like he may have learned a lesson from the Kevin Brown debacle.

Too many "reporters or media" either draw a paycheck from John or want to.  They are not going to call him out.  

@mikeghg

#59 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 01:57 PM

Any of the writers on this site want to do a story about the coincidence of Jason LaConfora and Ken Weinman doing a couple of glowing PR shill interviews for John Angelos in the last year... the second basically coming a week or so after his MLK Open Books debacle to help with damage control... and then JLC shortly thereafter being rewarded with a MASN gig??? Anyone?

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,499 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 02:17 PM

Any of the writers on this site want to do a story about the coincidence of Jason LaConfora and Ken Weinman doing a couple of glowing PR shill interviews for John Angelos in the last year... the second basically coming a week or so after his MLK Open Books debacle to help with damage control... and then JLC shortly thereafter being rewarded with a MASN gig??? Anyone?

Not really.  Jason and Ken can have whatever opinions they have.  I don't feel a need to write about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=