#2 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 August 2023 - 09:47 AM

Agreed with putting Kyle Gibson that low, Phillies didn't use him last year and it's hard to argue with their results

Screen-Shot-2023-08-18-at-10-46-32-AM.pn

#3 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 10:08 AM

Agree 100% with the order as of right now.

I can see Irvin moving up the list.  He's been very good since returning from AAA.  And I can see putting Dean over Flaherty depending on how the season ends.  Dean's a competitor, he's got the mindset I like to see in a big game.

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,363 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 10:23 AM

Bradish
Flaherty

Then we will see how the rest of the season plays out. Flaherty isnt even safe he cant get it together a bit down the stretch.

#5 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 10:26 AM

Bradish
Flaherty

Then we will see how the rest of the season plays out. Flaherty isnt even safe he cant get it together a bit down the stretch.

No Rodriguez because of performance or innings limits?  He's pitched like a 2 at minimum since coming back.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,363 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 10:28 AM

We will see how he does down the stretch. You need what 4 guys in the playoffs now? You cant get away with just 3 anymore. So yeah, he's likely one of the 4. Though him being a high lev BP arm is intriguing to me as well.

• glenn__davis likes this

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 August 2023 - 10:34 AM

I'm up to 2 guys I feel good about with Grayson pitching so well although that's still tenuous. Then there's a slew of guys that are fine as the #4 starter.

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,343 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 August 2023 - 11:00 AM

Bradish is the only guy I feel really good about. GRod is getting there and he looks better each time out. The rest scare me come the playoffs with their inconsistency.

Bottom line: O's need to get the first round bye and home field. Feel way better about our chances if we do that.

As to the order of the starters I'd use? It depends a lot on whether we are at home or not and who we are facing. Bradish, GRod, Flaherty, and Kremer. But the order would depend. For example, if we started on the road I'd be tempted to go with Flaherty first.

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 August 2023 - 11:13 AM

BSL: Ranking The Orioles Candidates To Start A Playoff Game

https://baltimorespo...a-playoff-game/

Bradish

GRod

I might flip those two by the end of the year.

Kremer/Gibson/Faherty  I am taking the 2 that are doing the best at years end.

Wild Card---John Means.  It is a long shot at this point, but if he gets stretched out to 6 innings and is throwing well.  He goes into the mix.  

@mikeghg

#10 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,343 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 August 2023 - 09:45 PM

Amending my thoughts.

ABG....anyone but Gibson.

#11 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 11:06 PM

Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.

(Not much rhymes with Bradish or Rodriguez.)

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#12 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,343 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 August 2023 - 09:11 AM

Gibson gave up 9 hits and 4 runs in 5 innings to the worst team in baseball (both W -L and in runs scored and its not even close). Hope he's not falling off a cliff but can't have that kind of outing down the stretch. Cmon Gibs get it back together next time out.

#13 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 09:36 AM

Gibson gave up 9 hits and 4 runs in 5 innings to the worst team in baseball (both W -L and in runs scored and its not even close). Hope he's not falling off a cliff but can't have that kind of outing down the stretch. Cmon Gibs get it back together next time out.

He's thrown some nice games this year but he's pretty much doing what I expected of him over the course of a whole season- a slop pitcher who will give you innings but get hit hard a portion of the time.  I don't know what purpose he serves going into 2024. They can do better than Gibson. 

#14 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,761 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 August 2023 - 12:15 PM

I don't think it matters much for this group how you set it up.  Overall, I don't think you're trying to align any guy with a turn.  The rotation is what it is and you'll more or less align with the normal rest/work.

Gibson.  I don't see Gibson making the Playoff roster at this point.  Playoffs tend to be a reliever heavy affair and you aren't letting a guy grind out some innings into the 5th or 6th because you protect the bullpen.  His usefulness goes down and you'd rather have another RP that's well adjusted to that role.  He still gets a Ring.

GRod.  I know what they say about innings and we're in 6-man right now to back out a start for each guy down the stretch, but I don't think you can plan to use him twice in a series.  He's at 122 IP right now and 6-7 more starts is another 40-50 innings so you're kind of maxed out.  I wouldn't have him in the first series and (if everything is cool) he can get the Game4/5 starter in the ALDS and WS...that would still put him over 170 this year.  We talked about this months ago...you always get here. <<smh>>

So however Bradish, Kremer, Flaherty and Irvin (maybe swapping out in some tandem option depending on the team) line up for the first series is fine.  I wouldn't push anyone into 3-days rest.

Whoever is on the bump, show up.

#15 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,797 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:08 PM

Gibson may not be a playoff start, but no way they keep him off the roster.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,363 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:13 PM

Gibson may not be a playoff start, but no way they keep him off the roster.

Of course. Consider the source. Maybe if they had 3 guys in AAA BP just beating down the doors and being lights out they would consider it. They dont. Assuming he is healthy of course. Certainly may not be in rotation. May not pitch. May only be a lower lev long man but he will be on the roster if hes healthy.

#17 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,343 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:17 PM

I don't think it matters much for this group how you set it up.  Overall, I don't think you're trying to align any guy with a turn.  The rotation is what it is and you'll more or less align with the normal rest/work.

Gibson.  I don't see Gibson making the Playoff roster at this point.  Playoffs tend to be a reliever heavy affair and you aren't letting a guy grind out some innings into the 5th or 6th because you protect the bullpen.  His usefulness goes down and you'd rather have another RP that's well adjusted to that role.  He still gets a Ring.

GRod.  I know what they say about innings and we're in 6-man right now to back out a start for each guy down the stretch, but I don't think you can plan to use him twice in a series.  He's at 122 IP right now and 6-7 more starts is another 40-50 innings so you're kind of maxed out.  I wouldn't have him in the first series and (if everything is cool) he can get the Game4/5 starter in the ALDS and WS...that would still put him over 170 this year.  We talked about this months ago...you always get here. <<smh>>

So however Bradish, Kremer, Flaherty and Irvin (maybe swapping out in some tandem option depending on the team) line up for the first series is fine.  I wouldn't push anyone into 3-days rest.

Whoever is on the bump, show up.

So you are going to sit one of our only 2 pitchers who have actually been consistently performing?????

That's plain crazy talk. If the staff is concerned with his innings then they need to manage the heck out of that now and not in October.

#18 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,797 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:18 PM

Throw Gibson in the BP for a playoff series and he might be your top RH set up man for the 7th/8th inning. Or a bridge to Cano/Bautista. I'd trust him more in the BP in one inning scenario than Baumann or Baker.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,363 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:24 PM

Throw Gibson in the BP for a playoff series and he might be your top RH set up man for the 7th/8th inning. Or a bridge to Cano/Bautista. I'd trust him more in the BP in one inning scenario than Baumann or Baker.

Whoever they move from rotation could be a higher lev BP arm. Will be 2 guys. Currently 6 man. 4 man in playoffs. Hyde even used Irvin in a higher lev spot before he returned to the rotation.

#20 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,761 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:39 PM

So you are going to sit one of our only 2 pitchers who have actually been consistently performing?????

That's plain crazy talk. If the staff is concerned with his innings then they need to manage the heck out of that now and not in October.

Yes.  This is the problem with not being forward thinking with what is going to happen.  Everyone (literally almost everyone) doesn't care when  we needed to care but then you get to the point where you really needed to do something different 4 months ago and suddenly we have to do stupid things.

You have to manage him because you put yourself in that position.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=