#141 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:34 AM

https://youtu.be/pilM5SX7U5s?t=16

Does anyone remember how to embed YouTube videos?

Highly underrated movie that I saw in theaters.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#142 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:35 AM

Highly underrated movie that I saw in theaters.

Still holds up for me personally, watch it every year. Absolutely love it. Hits all the right notes.

#143 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:37 AM

The Phillies were 2-5 in September against the Braves last year before beating them in the playoffs 3-1. If how matters, those losses included an 11 inning one where they had the lead 3 separate times and a game they were leading in the 8th then allowed 6 runs.

The Dodgers were famously 14-5 against the Padres before losing to them in the playoffs.

The Astros last year lost 2 walk offs against the Yankees in a single series, I don’t know how they managed to even show up against them in the playoffs.

The 2021 Braves got swept by the Dodgers at the end of August, blowing leads in the 7th and 8th. We can all remember that leading to the Dodgers killing them in the playoffs, right?

A lot of stuff happens over 162 games. The very best teams lose around 60 games and I bet a good chunk of them are horrible. People acting like every loss matters like it's college football.

Anything can happen, but when your best weapon is the best closer in baseball, and you beat him with a Grand Slam in their own house, I just don't know how that doesn't make you enormously confident every time you see him on the mound.

I think we're kidding ourselves if we think the Houston locker room wasn't elated after that game, with total confidence that they were the best team in the AL.

Will that mean anything in October? I guess we'll find out. Or maybe we won't.

#144 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:39 AM

Anything can happen, but when your best weapon is the best closer in baseball, and you beat him with a Grand Slam in their own house, I just don't know how that doesn't make you enormously confident every time you see him on the mound.

I think we're kidding ourselves if we think the Houston locker room wasn't elated after that game, with total confidence that they were the best team in the AL.

Will that mean anything in October? I guess we'll find out. Or maybe we won't.

I think it's totally fine and even rational (kind of) to emote after such a tough loss, and then following it with last night's showing. The issue I think most people have or are pushing back against, is trying to define what it means. Even if Baltimore lost a playoff series to Houston this October, you couldn't conclusively point to The Grand Slam ™️ as the reason why.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#145 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:45 AM

I think this is pretty simple. If you face a pitcher X times and K most of them you'd rather not face them again.

If you face that same pitcher and rocked them you have higher confidence.

Does that mean you get the same results? Of course not but to totally discount the mental aspect of the last two nights is probably wrong too.

#146 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:46 AM

I think it's totally fine and even rational (kind of) to emote after such a tough loss, and then following it with last night's showing. The issue I think most people have or are pushing back against, is trying to define what it means. Even if Baltimore lost a playoff series to Houston this October, you couldn't conclusively point to The Grand Slam ™️ as the reason why.

Exactly. Of course Houston is elated and confident right now, and of course we are all down about it. It doesn't matter to any potential October series, unless it causes Felix to have a mental meltdown, which he hasn't shown he will do.

Toronto looked like we crushed their soul last week, and now they've won 5 of 6. We're 8-2 against them, but does anyone think if we faced them in the playoffs it'd be easy?

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#147 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:48 AM

No for sure. It's just a bad omen and I'm always on high alert for the bottom to drop out because it's happened so often.

#148 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:49 AM

Exactly. Of course Houston is elated and confident right now, and of course we are all down about it. It doesn't matter to any potential October series, unless it causes Felix to have a mental meltdown, which he hasn't shown he will do.

Toronto looked like we crushed their soul last week, and now they've won 5 of 6. We're 8-2 against them, but does anyone think if we faced them in the playoffs it'd be easy?

Ask it another way. Who would the O's rather face in the playoffs. Toronto or Houston?

#149 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:49 AM

Still holds up for me personally, watch it every year. Absolutely love it. Hits all the right notes.

Definitely. Timelessly great baseball movie.

#150 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:50 AM

Great play by Urias to start the game.

@mikeghg

#151 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:50 AM

No for sure. It's just a bad omen and I'm always on high alert for the bottom to drop out because it's happened so often.

I know all too well what it's like living life through the lens of anticipatory grief, designed to protect you. All it really does is rob you of joy. Long way to go, but something I'm working hard on myself. I feel ya. 

#152 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:51 AM

And Hays follows it up with a nice running catch in CF.

@mikeghg

#153 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:55 AM

I know all too well what it's like living life through the lens of anticipatory grief, designed to protect you. All it really does is rob you of joy. Long way to go, but something I'm working hard on myself. I feel ya.

I could not have phrased that better. That is exactly what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=