#161 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,523 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:25 PM

That was a tough one. It will not effect the team at all. It won’t effect Felix at all. It won’t be in their heads if there’s an October rematch. I believe fully in this clubhouse. They’re not just happy to be here. They expect to be. They’ll be just fine. But that sucked. Such a great energy in the park, too. Loved the Free Kevin Brown chants. Trust fund baby can suck it.
  • fishteacher, Slidemaster and CantonJester like this

#162 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:35 PM

That was a tough one. It will not effect the team at all. It won’t effect Felix at all. It won’t be in their heads if there’s an October rematch. I believe fully in this clubhouse. They’re not just happy to be here. They expect to be. They’ll be just fine. But that sucked. Such a great energy in the park, too. Loved the Free Kevin Brown chants. Trust fund baby can suck it.

Hopefully it effects how the coaches handle late inning defensive replacements, cuz Mateo absolutely cannot be the answer in CF. 

But otherwise you nailed it. 

#163 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,523 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:37 PM

Yeah Jim Palmer was all over that. Loved the homer he stole earlier, but yes that 9th inning play is one that needed to be made.

Sounds like Mullins could be back any day now.

#164 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:40 PM

Also I said this upthread (postgame) - let's face it:

If the O's had a couple timely hits in those middle innings instead of inning ending DPs or lineouts, etc - this game would've been a blowout. 

#165 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,647 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:42 PM

Back end BP has been great so far this year but I feel like they’ll implode come October. 

I wanna see them handle pressure. So far they’ve shown weakness that can be exploited. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#166 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:46 PM

Annoying, given the other stuff going on today, that we get this outcome.

Show up tomorrow.

#167 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:48 PM

Back end BP has been great so far this year but I feel like they’ll implode come October. 

I wanna see them handle pressure. So far they’ve shown weakness that can be exploited. 

They've got a young rotation that routinely needs 3 to 4+ IP of RP nightly. That's a tall order. The O's pen is a little light, but so are most teams' pens. That said, most teams aren't the Astros. If/when Houston reaches the PS, they will be a favorite to win it all. Because they've done it before.

Annoying, given the other stuff going on today, that we get this outcome.

Show up tomorrow.

Yep.

#168 HOF19

HOF19
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:53 PM

WOW ....As an Orioles fan reading some comments made here tonight gives me the impression the Orioles 2023 season is over and the 2023 Orioles are the WORST Team in baseball .....Hmmm .

#169 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 09:58 PM

WOW ....As an Orioles fan reading some comments made here tonight gives me the impression the Orioles 2023 season is over and the 2023 Orioles are the WORST Team in baseball .....Hmmm .

Literally no one has said that, nor implied that.
@BSLMikeRandall

#170 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 10:04 PM

Literally no one has said that, nor implied that.

Well, some takes were an implied bold font...

#171 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,341 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 05:25 AM

I’m totally shocked you’re offering up the most pessimistic take possible.

Find a new hobby

Get him the F outta here. He only shows up when things are bad and then its just post after post after post. Sean does/did his thing but he doesnt make 10,000 posts saying it over and over again in the same thread

#172 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,341 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 05:29 AM

Felix has been fastball heavy for a long time now. As good of a pitch as it is coming from him being big and coming that downhill teams are eventually gonna time it up.
  • tennOsfan likes this

#173 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 06:33 AM

Even good teams will have a handful of meltdowns like last night during the course of a long season.  Come back tonight, get the win and wash the bad taste out of your mouth.  

• BobPhelan, NewMarketSean and HOF19 like this

#174 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 06:47 AM

Felix has been fastball heavy for a long time now. As good of a pitch as it is coming from him being big and coming that downhill teams are eventually gonna time it up.

Rarely.  He could throw that pitch on the grand slam 10 times and it would be a swing and a miss the other 9 times. 

#175 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 09 August 2023 - 07:14 AM

Rarely.  He could throw that pitch on the grand slam 10 times and it would be a swing and a miss the other 9 times. 

Yeah but not to a good fastball hitter. It was clear 100 mph wasn't going result in a whiff on that guy. He needed to go to something else, but he doesn't have enough confidence in the splitter to get it over without hanging it.

Simply put, he's not invincible. He is invincible to poor-to-average hitters because they'll swing and miss all night on that fastball. It's going to be different come October, as seen last night and the All-Star Game.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#176 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,334 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 August 2023 - 08:15 AM

What are you smoking? How many times did he throw the 100mph fast ball that got fouled off. How many swing and misses did he get during that at bat? I think the answer is zero. You can't throw the exact same pitch over and over and over in that situation. Ok you don't trust your splitter. After several foul offs of the fast ball I'd rather you throw the splitter. It you hit the dirt and walk in a run so what. Start fresh with the next batter that hasn't seen all you've got. That outcome was so predictable. Not that he was necessarily going to hit a GS but did anybody think he actually get him out?

• tennOsfan likes this

#177 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 08:22 AM

Just a reminder of how great Britton was in 2016 to not blow a single save.

• JStruds likes this

#178 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,334 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 August 2023 - 08:23 AM

To me a whole series of poor managerial calls last night.

1. Why does he take Baumann out after walking one batter in the top of the 8th? He had easily cruised through the 7th and had a low pitch count. So predictable by the O's. First guy you let on and your out. Fine if you have a guy who shuts down the inning but Cano hasn't been good at that for awhile now. Leave the ball in Baumann's hands.

2. Defensive subs lately have been mind boggling. Leave Mateo in at CF. Please don't tell me about the HR he robbed. Sure that was a nice play. But it also wasn't a play that I wouldn't expect any good CFer to make. it was not that tough. And still much like Santander. These guys can make "highlight reel" plays. They are athletic dudes. But they also can make poor plays and Mateo has to catch that ball. Period. I don't blame him. This is on Hyde for not putting McKenna in there. Really thats why McKenna is even on the team for crying out loud.

3. The pitch calling sequence against Tucker was a joke. Once the guy has fouled off a couple 4 seam fast balls you are not going to get him out on that pitch. Throw the damn splitter. Worst case scenario is you walk him. Ok still  up 2 and a new batter that hasn't dialed you in. That outcome was just so predictable (not the GS but no way he was going to get Tucker out).

Interesting to see how they respond today. Houston smells blood in the water.

• NewMarketSean and tennOsfan like this

#179 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 09 August 2023 - 01:20 PM

...Houston smells blood in the water.

That's my ASS they can smell...and so can you.  God, you're so pessmistic.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=