129 replies to this topic

#81 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:30 PM

You don't know what went on during those trade talks. And we knew Elias was not going to gut the farm system for rentals.

We know what other players went for and what packages that should be considered better would look like.  There is no universe in which the Orioles approach to the deadline can be considered anything but passive.  I don't even think the alternative was aggression, we didn't need to do a ton of huge stuff like the Rangers did.  Just get the best SP you could have and the best two RP you could have.  Better starters than Flaherty went for reasonable deals.  Better RP than Fuji went for reasonable deals.  I like mweb's description of what we needed, a SP that's better than everyone but Bradish and a RP that fits in above everyone but Felix.  We're way short of that.

And the idea that trading, let's say Urias, Norby, Beavers, and Povich, would be gutting the farm system is hyperbole.  Its not mortgaging the future.  Its not going all in.  It's dealing from depth.

Montgomery, Robertson, and Sewald I think would've been my plan if I got a shot at it.  I'm also really interested in what the price for Rodriguez was.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#82 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:31 PM

Holy Cow

#83 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:32 PM

We don't know what went on during those trade talks. And we knew Elias was not going to gut the farm system for rentals.

Nah. Don't buy it. None of the buyers gutted their farm system.

#84 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:32 PM

I'm not as cynical and jaded as some regarding the Orioles. For the record, I would have loved to see us get a Verlander.

My take is that Elias didn't want to blow up the clubhouse and believes that this team can get us deep into October - "I like our guys."

Time will tell.

• BobPhelan likes this

#85 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:33 PM

Santander reminds me of Gary Sheffield. Every time Sheffield swung he looked like he wanted to absolutely murder the baseball and It's whole family.

Santander does the same thing.
  • CantonJester likes this

#86 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,660 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:34 PM

We know what other players went for and what packages that should be considered better would look like. There is no universe in which the Orioles approach to the deadline can be considered anything but passive. I don't even think the alternative was aggression, we didn't need to do a ton of huge stuff like the Rangers did. Just get the best SP you could have and the best two RP you could have. Better starters than Flaherty went for reasonable deals. Better RP than Fuji went for reasonable deals. I like mweb's description of what we needed, a SP that's better than everyone but Bradish and a RP that fits in above everyone but Felix. We're way short of that.

And the idea that trading, let's say Urias, Norby, Beavers, and Povich, would be gutting the farm system is hyperbole. Its not mortgaging the future. Its not going all in. It's dealing from depth.

Montgomery, Robertson, and Sewald I think would've been my plan if I got a shot at it. I'm also really interested in what the price for Rodriguez was.

Definitely preferred Montgomery if the price was pretty similar to Flaherty and agree would’ve loved to get one of those RP.

That said, I’m glad the deadline has passed and we can just focus on getting to the playoffs and giving these guys a shot to make some noise.
  • PrimeTime and JoyinMudville like this

#87 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

We know what other players went for and what packages that should be considered better would look like. There is no universe in which the Orioles approach to the deadline can be considered anything but passive. I don't even think the alternative was aggression, we didn't need to do a ton of huge stuff like the Rangers did. Just get the best SP you could have and the best two RP you could have. Better starters than Flaherty went for reasonable deals. Better RP than Fuji went for reasonable deals. I like mweb's description of what we needed, a SP that's better than everyone but Bradish and a RP that fits in above everyone but Felix. We're way short of that.

And the idea that trading, let's say Urias, Norby, Beavers, and Povich, would be gutting the farm system is hyperbole. Its not mortgaging the future. Its not going all in. It's dealing from depth.

Montgomery, Robertson, and Sewald I think would've been my plan if I got a shot at it. I'm also really interested in what the price for Rodriguez was.

Wells and Hall are going to be the bullpen 'acquisitions". For better or worse.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#88 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Rest the bullpen. Great job O's offense

#89 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:35 PM

Wells and Hall are going to be the bullpen 'acquisitions". For better or worse.

It is also hard to know how Means will fit in.

#90 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:36 PM

It is also hard to know how Means will fit in.

Counting on literally anything from him is too much. Anything he provides should be considered a pleasant surprise.
  • JoyinMudville likes this

#91 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,057 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:37 PM

It's an 8 run game. Let's blow through a few arms!
  • DuffMan likes this

#92 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:38 PM

I'm not as cynical and jaded as some regarding the Orioles.

My take is that Elias didn't want to blow up the clubhouse and believes that this team can get us deep into October - "I like our guys."

Time will tell.

Isn't in inconsistent to imply that acquiring a better starting pitcher would've been "blowing up the clubhouse" but acquiring Flaherty isn't?  The guys being dealt away aren't coming from the clubhouse for the most part. Maybe Urias or Mountcastle, but mainly we're talking prospects.

#93 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:40 PM

It's an 8 run game. Let's blow through a few arms!

Krehbel will probably finish the game and then get sent down, and Perez threw 13 pitches.

#94 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:40 PM

Hicks is one of the few trades for a player at a position we needed that I wouldn't have tried to beat.

#95 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:43 PM

I really hope Westburg gets more playing time down the stretch.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#96 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:47 PM

Counting on literally anything from him is too much. Anything he provides should be considered a pleasant surprise.

He may not even pitch at the major league level this year. Had high hopes back in the spring, but no longer.
  • Slidemaster likes this

#97 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:52 PM

Krehbel will probably finish the game and then get sent down, and Perez threw 13 pitches.

You're probably right but Baker has options. Given Baker's performance as of late, I'd go that direction and give Joey a longer look.
@primetime667083

#98 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:52 PM

Season series win against Toronto.

• Nigel Tufnel and JStruds like this

#99 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:53 PM

If Bradish is our "ace" right now, then tonight is the kind of night he needs to come through.

I wouldn't call it a gem, but it sure got the job done. Way to go, Kyle.

#100 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,746 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:54 PM

Remember when Toronto thought they were hot shit? Used to love beating our brains in? What happened? Where they at now???

Yeah I haven’t forgotten. I love beating these chumps.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=