170 replies to this topic

#161 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 05:16 PM

How is it "as usual" when the Os are a top 10 offense in pretty much every category across the board. That makes no damn sense

I guess that's a pretty sad commentary on the art of hitting circa 2023. If what I've been looking at is a top 10 offense, all I can do is LOL.

#162 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 05:25 PM

Yeah yeah baseball was so much better in the old days. Or you know everyone threw 88 MPH meatballs instead of 98.

#163 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 05:31 PM

The O's have scored 25 runs in their last 6 games. Barely 4 runs a game and 14 of those came in 2 games in NY. Don't care about rankings in offensive categories. The O's offense has not been good of late. 11 runs in their last 4 games. Fortunate to be 2-2.

Thats no different than any random 4 game stretch you could find for any team in any year. What are we doing here. If he had said "of late" instead of "as usual" maybe you could squint and defend it.

#164 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 05:48 PM

Yeah yeah baseball was so much better in the old days. Or you know everyone threw 88 MPH meatballs instead of 98.

Tell Nolan Ryan he only threw 88 MPH and watch the laughter explode from his face.  Hell, even Jim Palmer would laugh.  Don't get so defensive.  It's not my fault hitters suck today. 

#165 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 06:15 PM

Its all quite obvious for anyone who isn't blind,dumb, and biased.

#166 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 06:28 PM

tenor.gif?itemid=14171922

#167 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 May 2023 - 07:02 PM

Couldn’t watch today but glad to see us back on the good side of the ledger. Go win the series against Cleveland

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#168 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 May 2023 - 09:27 PM

How is it "as usual" when the Os are a top 10 offense in pretty much every category across the board. That makes no damn sense

Average - 15

OBP - 12

OPS - 11

HRs - 10

SBs - 5th

Runs - 7th

They are very good (like 5th) in both Ks and BBs.

#169 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:21 AM

Average - 15

OBP - 12

OPS - 11

HRs - 10

SBs - 5th

Runs - 7th

They are very good (like 5th) in both Ks and BBs.

As I mentioned earlier, that's fine for today's game.  Hitting is just really compromised by weaknesses in how today's players attack pitchers, especially when they get down in the count.  Outside of handful of hitters around both leagues, most players today could care less what their average is.  Today, someone hitting .260 is considered a very good hitter.  Well, to me, it's average.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I know, today's pitchers are so incredible with their 95-100 MPH heat.  I get the argument.  Hitters have no chance.  Well, what are they doing to adjust to that velocity besides swinging from their asses trying to hit homeruns every at bat?  Not much.  The approach is the same if they're ahead in the count or behind it.  Instead of cutting down on their swing and trying to make contact and put the ball in play, they strike out, walk back to the dugout wait for the next at bat to do the same thing.  Mountcastle is the poster boy for today's hitters.  Some are worse than others.  MLB is trying like hell to inject more offense into the game but as long as a hitter's philosophy is to either strike out, walk or hit homeruns, nothing will change.  Personally, it doesn't bother me all that much because if you give me a choice between the ridiculous stats of the steroid era to now, I'll take 2023.  At least there's a semblance of balance in some ways.  But don't expect me to be impressed with the Orioles offensive rankings relative to the rest of the league.  Their line-up has numerous holes in it and it's hard to watch day after day.  

Ok...I'll set my watch and wait for the defenders of all that's great about 2023 baseball to come charging to the rescue. 

#170 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:07 AM

The funny thing is the mound was lowered in '69 because those shitty hitters couldnt hit 88 coming from a slightly higher plane. I dont feel like doing the research but Id bet the runs per game and OPS of hitter this year is in line if not higher than most of the years during the 70s and 80s. Maybe the pure batting averages were higher then but it didnt lead to more runs being scored if my assumption is correct. The only time there was an obvious uptick in everything was the steroid era. And it wasnt just steroids. The balls were harder. Some of the more offensive minded years of the steroid era were IMO some of the worst. Despite what some may want to believe 9-7 final scores every day is not that fun.

#171 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:39 AM

1968 was an extreme outlier.  The strikezone that year was outrageously large and you can ask any hitter to verify that.  Apparently, the master minds of baseball felt offense had taken too much of leap ahead of pitching and defense in the early part of that decade.  Especially when there was expansion in 1961.  Lowering the mound and shrinking the zone somewhat definitely had the desired results they were looking for.  1969 was one of the more balanced seasons in baseball history.  A great blend of pitching, defense, batting averages and homeruns.  The only way you're going to get that kind of balance in today's game is to change the philosophy of hitting and instruct it from the lower minors back up to the big leagues.  It usually will come down to what the fans want and if it's affecting attendance either in a positive or negative way.  I think most fans enjoy the shorter games but probably wish there was a bit more offense and run production.  I don't mind the low scoring games as long as the Orioles are winning most of them.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=