11 replies to this topic

#1 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 06:51 PM

Buy out last two arbitration years and add an additional 3 years. He is a stud and it will show the fans they are serious about keeping their ⭐️
  • Mike B likes this

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 08:17 AM

Absolutely.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 May 2023 - 08:33 AM

The sooner the better.  

Adley has been terrific, but a case can certainly be made that Cedric has been the best player on the Orioles this year.    When Cedric is rolling, it seems like the Orioles do too.  

Get out the damn wallets team cheap and extend Cedric.

• Hooded Viper likes this
@mikeghg

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 11:05 AM

Reynolds' deal with Pittsburgh is a pretty good model.  Same exact age.  His 8/$106M deal is basically a 5/$75M extension after his club control.  Brandon Nimmo's 8/$160M with the Mets would be the higher end, but that was all FA years and not two arb years, so gotta account for that and discount a bit for doing it early.  Nimmo also a year younger.

• Hooded Viper likes this

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 12:01 PM

I sense, and this is based on nothing but gut, a Ced extension will get done. He just feels like the relatively low hanging fruit for this ownership to extend. I hope that isnt too disrespectful to Ced because I like him as a player.

#6 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 12:31 PM

Seems like a good candidate for a winning team to trade for prospects.

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 03:30 PM

Seems like a good candidate for a winning team to trade for prospects.

I know that's a tongue in cheek comment, but it wouldn't shock me if that's what happens. 

#8 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 May 2023 - 03:34 PM

I sense, and this is based on nothing but gut, a Ced extension will get done. He just feels like the relatively low hanging fruit for this ownership to extend. I hope that isnt too disrespectful to Ced because I like him as a player.

I agree. He seems like he would be easy to extend. Unless of course we open up some kind of talks and grossly low ball him, which sours him on the organization.

With that said, for as much as Rutschman's arrival is what has propelled us back to relevancy, Cedric seems like the heart and soul of this team. I have no evidence to support that claim, of course, it's just the vibe that I get.

• JStruds likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 May 2023 - 03:49 PM

I know that a tongue in cheek comment, but it wouldn't shock me if that's what happens. 

<1% chance they trade him at this year's deadline. Much more likely he gets moved after the season. Highly doubt he's here after 2025....would think if that were in the cards, it would've happened by now.

#10 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 May 2023 - 04:40 PM

I think him and Adley and the most likely extension candidates and I’m all for it.
  • DuffMan likes this

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 May 2023 - 05:14 PM

I'm all for extending Ced and I think I've mentioned this several times.

....but why do we only promote extending guys when they hot.  How about we wait for a cold streak and his OPS drops to .743 THEN let's talk about extending him.

Fan of everything he does, appreciate what he's become and good to have long term in Baltimore. 

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 May 2023 - 05:24 PM

Here's the question with Ced and brought this up in Adley discussion too.

I don't know what drives anyone's decision making.  By all accounts, Ced and Hays are best friends.  Is there incentive to keep the band together?  Does that make extensions more or less likely.  Everyone (read: fans) likes to think of everything (player acquisitions) as an individual event, but I'd guess the humans involved may think differently.

I'm not suggesting Ced would make a specific demand, but if you want to incentivize the longer term relationship, creating the environment you'll be playing in, not just "trust me we're going to do good things", could certainly impact the consideration the player has.

The other question is always timing.  Everything you do will cascade with other consequences so if you take care of Adley, Ced and Hays....what does AS and Mounty think?  Nobody is a robot.

You draw lines and make choices.  That's the job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=