BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 May 2023 - 03:27 PM

https://baltimorespo...and-contending/

Wrote about the tricky situation of two top prospects trying to figure things out while the team is expected to make the playoffs!

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLSteveBirrer like this

she/her

#2 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 19 May 2023 - 03:37 PM

The O's fast start has almost all of us thinking playoffs, but I'd guess only the most optimistic among us is thinking deep into October. That for me indicates the best course of action is to get as many of these prospects - but especially the top 2-5 - as much experience as is possible, even if it is often painful to watch. Because the payoff over the next 5+ years is the real target.
  • jamesdean likes this

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 May 2023 - 12:04 PM

You always have to make choices. Both Gunnar and Grayson are within 1SP so there's no real driver to do something different.  The team is successful today without extreme performances from anyone and as pointed out in the article, it really doesn't have much to do with rookies (despite the fact so many locally and nationally try to tie these results to 'rebuilding', but I digress).

I'd leave Henderson at 3B everyday with the occasional day off against a tough lefty until he's bad enough (outside of 1SP) that he forces a change.  No-where near that.

With GRod, he's still on an innings watch this year, so maybe you just use the inconsistency in performance for a break at some point, control the load and then get him back into the fray.  There's some timing there, but pick a spot for 2-3 weeks.

Not sure why we have to have guys with 1.000 OPS at Norfolk.  I'm all for using any of them, but you aren't adding, you are adding and subtracting.  Cowser or Westburg come at the expense of something else.  I'm fine with Westburg at 2B and Frazier in more of a bench role, but they could have already done that so there's a reason they aren't doing it.

Make whatever choices you want and move out with them.  Performance isn't additive across depth, you only get the players you play.

There's trades to consider, it's not just all "trade for Major league Players" unless you buy into the narrative you can't do both, because you can. Every answer is ok, do what you can, be accountable, be dynamic, be flexible.  Don't be a slave to garbage narratives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=