#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:24 AM

The buzz around Queen is starting to heat up again, and it's sounding like Indiana may very well be the destination for him. Maryland definitely on the outside looking in at the moment.

You nailed that on your latest Talking Terps. Ugh. So frustrating. This whole situation is getting pretty worrisome outside of even this season.

#42 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:04 AM

College athletics now is truly like how pro sports would be/were with no salary cap/luxury tax.

Yeah it's just about turned me off completely.  I saw on the espn ticker last night some QB is transferring to Louisville for his 7th year of eligibility.  I saw that and all I could think of was that line from Tommy Boy...

#43 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:19 PM

So this class was either Queen or bust? Don't see Maryland linked with much else.

I know the portal is always an option to add players, but next year looks bad. You're already losing Young and Scott (no big loss). Reese could look to go pro or transfer. Who knows what'll happen with Harris-Smith and Kaiser if this year really goes bad.

#44 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:24 PM

Ive said it multiple times already. The roster for next year is lining up to be worse than this year. On paper of course, but it certainly doesnt inspire any confidence that Willard is getting things turned around anytime soon.

#45 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:33 PM

So this class was either Queen or bust? Don't see Maryland linked with much else.

They've been linked pretty heavily with 4-star G Malachi Palmer (Lanham, MD) lately, who may be the best player in the state. He's a 6'5" combo guard, could see a commitment soon.

@BSLZackKiesel

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:39 PM

College athletics now is truly like how pro sports would be/were with no salary cap/luxury tax.

It's not so much the money. While MLB has a luxury tax you still have huge payroll disparities and the best players ending up on a small handful of the wealthiest teams once they are no longer under club control. What separates pro sports from what we are seeing in college now is the "club control" part, a lack of binding commitment college athletes have to the school they chose....which, when you account for the NCAA's stance that these are unpaid students, you cannot legally restrict their ability to change schools (the NCAA did it for the longest time, but the courts have been indicating to them its illegal, hence the portal).

A pro sports model is where this is likely headed someday. And really, I think it will help solve the one thing everyone seems to hate about college sports right now, and that is the transfers and the lack of any certainty that a player your school recruited will be there more than a year. Collectively bargain with them. Pay the players an agreed to percentage of revenues. In exchange, they are contractually bound to their employer (the school) for X years.

Screw the eligibility nonsense. If a 27 y/o guy isn't good enough to play in the NBA, NFL, whatever, how is it the end of the world if he keeps working for his college of choice? For those who still think college sports is strictly about education and they are removing that by making players employees....I worked at JHU for 9 years, during which I was eligible as an employee to take classes and enroll in a degree program free of charge. I've known people who work at other universities who say they have the same perk. If athletes want the education, it's right there for them to take advantage of. If they don't, their choice.

#47 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 January 2024 - 01:39 PM

They've been linked pretty heavily with 4-star G Malachi Palmer (Lanham, MD) lately, who may be the best player in the state. He's a 6'5" combo guard, could see a commitment soon.

Palmer has officially committed to Maryland, and becomes their first recruit in the 2024 class.
  • SonicAttack likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#48 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 02:36 PM

Ranked #141 nationally according to Rivals.

They really need Queen.

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 04:24 PM

Ranked #141 nationally according to Rivals.

119 per 247.  

That's a fine addition, but can't anticipate immediate production. 
Similar ranking to Lamothe.  So (in both cases) we will see what development happens. 

#50 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 06:05 PM

119 per 247.

That's a fine addition, but can't anticipate immediate production.
Similar ranking to Lamothe. So (in both cases) we will see what development happens.

Yeah, I get that recruiting is a crapshoot but I don't expect many guys outside the top 100 to come in and make an immediate impact. Guys like Palmer should be the guys you use to fill out your recruiting class, not headlining.

#51 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 06:32 PM

Willard on top of it. Locking up his first '24 recruit on Jan 1. And a guy outside the Top 100 at that. Baller coach

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 06:37 PM

Willard on top of it. Locking up his first '24 recruit on Jan 1. And a guy outside the Top 100 at that. Baller coach

You weren't on-board with Willard prior to his hire.... but my recollection is you mostly came around on him last year.  Am I wrong?

Even if I'm right, you can certainly change your opinion again. 

Willard wasn't my preferred choice.
He did largely win me over last year. 
The start of this year was horrible.... but he isn't going anywhere for quite sometime imo. 
If you question the ceiling with him, that's fine. He gets the opportunity here to prove himself either way. 

#53 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 06:58 PM

Yeah hes not going anywhere for awhile. Thats really all that needs to be said. Overall I just dont like being apathetic about MD basketball. Occasionally I'll express frustration like I did above. Most of the time I dont give any of it a second thought.

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 07:00 PM

Yeah hes not going anywhere for awhile. Thats really all that needs to be said. Overall I just dont like being apathetic about MD basketball. Occasionally I'll express frustration like I did above. Most of the time I dont give any of it a second thought.

Nah, I get it.  Apathy is worse than anger. 
Was just curious if I had it wrong, because I thought at some point last year you were also buying in with him.

#55 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 07:22 PM

Nah, I get it.  Apathy is worse than anger. 
Was just curious if I had it wrong, because I thought at some point last year you were also buying in with him.

I honestly dont remember what all I said. I probably gave him his props. Never bought in to the point that MD basketball was must watch again. Or even must DVR.   Maybe that will never change as Im not who I was 10 or 20 yrs ago but I know there is room inside to care more about the program than I do right now.. 

#56 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 07:48 PM

Aside from a couple of the Trimble years I can't really remember being excited about Maryland basketball since the Greivis Vasquez era.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#57 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 08:38 PM

How's it looking on the Queen front?

#58 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 February 2024 - 08:41 PM

How's it looking on the Queen front?

That situation has been impossible to get a solid read on since the beginning. Most people think it’s still between Indiana and Maryland, but with Mike Woodson potentially on the hot seat who knows.

If he’s purely chasing money, it won’t be Maryland that’s for sure.
@BSLZackKiesel

#59 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 09:20 PM

Hes purely chasing money so it wont be MD. As well he should by the way.

#60 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 February 2024 - 07:46 PM

Queen is reportedly expected to announce his commitment tomorrow. This has obviously been a lengthy and rather quiet process from his end, but everything I’ve heard today points to Maryland as the likely destination.

Hard to get too excited until it’s official, but fans should be optimistic.
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=