#63 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 08:58 PM

I doubt it'll be Maryland.

Nah if it came back around to MD we good. Someone got desperate and payed up. It was a must. Still need a ton of guards tho

#64 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,776 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:03 PM

I'll believe it when he announces he's going to Maryland.

Queen and Reese would be a good start but like you said- still need to hit the portal for some guard help big time.

#65 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:05 PM

I'll believe it when he announces he's going to Maryland.

Queen and Reese would be a good start but like you said- still need to hit the portal for some guard help big time.

Based on what I’ve heard, I wouldn’t expect Reese to return next season.
@BSLZackKiesel

#66 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,776 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:07 PM

Based on what I’ve heard, I wouldn’t expect Reese to return next season.

So basically replacing Reese with Queen. Might be a wash or worse depending on how quickly Queen adjusts to the college game.

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:08 PM

I heard no info but Reese leaving is very predictable. Its prob why they can afford Queen

#68 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:09 PM

So basically replacing Reese with Queen. Might be a wash or worse depending on how quickly Queen adjusts to the college game.

Queen has a much more diverse game. Can play much further from the hoop with effectiveness, and his passing abilities are next-level.
@BSLZackKiesel

#69 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,776 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:17 PM

Queen has a much more diverse game. Can play much further from the hoop with effectiveness, and his passing abilities are next-level.

I'm in a wait and see with HS bigs after Diamond Stone. Hopefully he could come in and give us more than a guy who's already averaging a double double, but I'd say that's pretty unlikely.

And that's assuming he actually ends up at Maryland.

#70 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:18 PM

Whats that even mean. Stone was good

#71 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,776 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 10:11 PM

He was OK. I don't think he lived up to the top 10 HS recruiting hype. I guess I just expected more than 12.5/5 from a guy who came with all the expectations on that team. Granted that team did have 5 guys average over 11 PPG so it was a little more spread out.

#72 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 February 2024 - 01:12 PM

Queen is reportedly expected to announce his commitment tomorrow. This has obviously been a lengthy and rather quiet process from his end, but everything I’ve heard today points to Maryland as the likely destination.

Hard to get too excited until it’s official, but fans should be optimistic.

Latest rumor says that Queen may be announcing his commitment at 5PM ET today. Stay tuned.

Maryland still widely expected to be the destination.

@BSLZackKiesel

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 02:19 PM

IMS has The Wire meme on their Facebook (I want you to put the word out there that we back up.), so there's that.

Getting him on-board is obviously better than not getting him on-board... but if you lose Reese, and get him... that's only a wash (a Sr. Reese figures to be better than a Freshman Queen) at best.

The most positive aspect of it to me, would be if we find out that someone stepped up with some NIL money for Queen.

The other major benefit (beyond his ability) is that maybe it jump starts other recruiting (including the portal).

#74 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 02:58 PM

I know money talks, but its doubtful that the Terps blow everyone else out of the water, so if he could get similar money elsewhere, would he come to Maryland if he didn't think Willard had a plan to build a competitive roster around him? Having a plan and executing are of course different things.  And maybe Queen just wanted to come here anyway regardless of how good the team will be and just did what he had to do to maximize the dollars he'd get for doing so.  

Anyways, lets hope he's a Terp at 5pm.  I hate recruiting.  At least basketball the commitments usually mean something, football recruiting is an absolute cluster, I don't understand how anyone has the willpower to follow that closely.

#75 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 February 2024 - 06:00 PM

It’s official.

5-star C Derik Queen has committed to Maryland.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#76 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 February 2024 - 06:09 PM

Queen becomes Maryland's highest-ranked recruit since Diamond Stone in 2015, and their first 5-star recruit since Jalen Smith in 2018.

Even before Kevin Willard was officially announced as head coach, he made a trip to Florida to visit Queen. This has been years in the making, dating back to the Mark Turgeon era.

And another piece of good news: it doesn't sound as though Reese's departure is quite as definitive as I initially thought. Definitely still a chance he returns to play alongside Queen next season.

• BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#77 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,776 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 08:07 PM

Reese and Queen would be a great start. Hope that DHS and Kaiser stick around and see big improvement year two. Going to need at least another guard or two from the portal, especially one to run the point.

#78 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 21 February 2024 - 08:13 PM

Julian doesn't have a shot getting drafted unless he plays out of his mind next year, right?  His game screams EuroLeague to me.  Feels like he should just stick around unless he's finished his degree and doesn't really care about using up his eligibility.

#79 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 February 2024 - 08:18 PM

Julian doesn't have a shot getting drafted unless he plays out of his mind next year, right? His game screams EuroLeague to me. Feels like he should just stick around unless he's finished his degree and doesn't really care about using up his eligibility.

I think next year would be his best chance to really showcase his game for NBA scouts, since he’d be playing his more natural PF position. But that’s going to require developing an outside shot, which I certainly hope is in the works given that I’m not sure you could play two big men who can’t stretch the floor at the same time.
@BSLZackKiesel

#80 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 February 2024 - 08:43 PM

Much needed good news for Maryland Basketball.  I thought the longer it went the better chance Maryland had.  Keith Cavanaugh sounded pretty positive about 2 more freshman addition's. om the way.  It's Cavanaugh so I will take that for what it is worth.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=