#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 May 2023 - 04:49 PM

Great stuff again. As to part #9 and do you give the FO credit for thinking Mateo was the guy. My answer is not only no but hell no. If they really felt that he was going to blossom even close to this then the move to sign Frazier even makes less sense. So no they get no credit from me on this one.....lol

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 May 2023 - 06:55 PM

They definitely get credit for Mateo. They had the opportunity to let him play every day and they put in the work to help him with approach and swing changes coming into this season. He obviously gets credit for putting in the work and making it work in practice. 

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 07:01 PM

They do get credit for rolling with Mateo, but they'd get a lot more if it was an actual decision based on Mateo and not a simple and obvious case of them taking the easiest and cheapest option at almost every position. Had they been in the business of improving a few spots where they could and still decided to give Mateo a spot even amidst that sort of commitment, then it'd be a very clear case of deserving every bit of the credit (or at least whatever part doesn't go to Mateo himself).
  • Mike B likes this

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 May 2023 - 07:58 PM

I agree, the Orioles get credit for helping Mateo develop, but the reason they stuck with him was certainly about not spending money.

As for Kremer and Irvin switching spots, I am mixed.  They are going to give Irvin another shot, very soon, but he will need to step up because business is about to pick up schedule wise.

@mikeghg

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 08:40 PM

Fine to bitch about spending more money. SS obviously didnt need to be one of the spots to spend and  that decision was spot on.  Not only because of Mateo but the options behind him. 

• Nigel Tufnel and russsnyder like this

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 May 2023 - 08:15 AM

Fine to bitch about spending more money. SS obviously didnt need to be one of the spots to spend and  that decision was spot on.  Not only because of Mateo but the options behind him. 

Those options could play 2B.....

#8 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 08:32 AM

Those options could play 2B.....

I don't know.  It always seemed really unlikely that the O's could sign any of the big free agent SS, but if you throw in a position change on top of that, it takes it to an even higher level of unlikely.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 08:40 AM

I don't know. It always seemed really unlikely that the O's could sign any of the big free agent SS, but if you throw in a position change on top of that, it takes it to an even higher level of unlikely.

Correa agreed to move with the Mets and Turner has played lots of places around the diamond. Turner especially I think would've been a great target for 2B, though won't criticize for not going to the contract he got. Will criticize for making zero long-term commitments anywhere.

#10 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 08:57 AM

Correa agreed to move with the Mets and Turner has played lots of places around the diamond. Turner especially I think would've been a great target for 2B, though won't criticize for not going to the contract he got. Will criticize for making zero long-term commitments anywhere.

Agreeing to a position change to go to a 101-win team with Lindor at SS is a little different than going to an 83-win team with Jorge Mateo, though.  That's a tougher sell.

And Turner did play 49 games at 2B in 2021, but that was after being traded, which is a different dynamic.  And the Dodgers also had Seagar at SS.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 08:59 AM

Agreeing to a position change to go to a 101-win team with Lindor at SS is a little different than going to an 83-win team with Jorge Mateo, though.  That's a tougher sell.

And Turner did play 49 games at 2B in 2021, but that was after being traded, which is a different dynamic.  And the Dodgers also had Seagar at SS.

I still think money talks.  I don't agree with the idea that it was not practical to ask one of those studs to move to 2B.  Especially Turner.

I do agree its not practical to expect this front office to commit the money necessary, but that's a different part of the conversation.  The position change is the easier bar to clear.

#12 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 09:02 AM

I still think money talks. 

Yeah, that's the unlikely part.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 02 May 2023 - 10:21 AM

I won't speculate of the reason behind sticking with Mateo. While I wanted them to add an impact SS last winter, I also hated the idea of giving up the excitement of him being on base. As the old saying goes you can't teach speed.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#14 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 11:14 AM

I won't speculate of the reason behind sticking with Mateo. While I wanted them to add an impact SS last winter, I also hated the idea of giving up the excitement of him being on base. As the old saying goes you can't teach speed.

Skepticism is a healthy trait to possess so long as it doesn't barrel into pessimism. 

If Mateo has, in fact figured it out, he becomes one of the game's elite players. That changes the calculus for a whole host of high end, O's SS prospects. 

• weird-O likes this

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 May 2023 - 11:43 AM

I was referring to the guys behind Mateo being able to play 2B. Nothing to do with whom we might have signed. Sorry if I was confusing.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 02 May 2023 - 11:56 AM

Skepticism is a healthy trait to possess so long as it doesn't barrel into pessimism. 

If Mateo has, in fact figured it out, he becomes one of the game's elite players. That changes the calculus for a whole host of high end, O's SS prospects. 

I agree, he would be a special talent. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=