#1 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 April 2023 - 09:59 AM

Anxious to hear some thoughts on this move.

How much 2nd base has Ortiz played at Norfolk? Does this signal a quasi demotion for Frazier? I can't imagine we promoted Ortiz to sit him.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:01 AM

Frazier has been ice cold. Sit him if need be.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,647 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:08 AM

I have a feeling this is a short term move because Mateo is banged up.   It seems to me, that if this was a move to sit Frazier, the call would have been Westburg, who is raking at AAA.  That said, give it hell Joey, welcome to the show.

• PrimeTime likes this
@mikeghg

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:10 AM

I have a feeling this is a short term move because Mateo is banged up. It seems to me, that if this was a move to sit Frazier, the call would have been Westburg, who is raking at AAA. That said, give it hell Joey, welcome to the show.

Ortiz is raking too. And hes the superior defender. Hes passed Westburg. Again, not tearing down Westburg. Still very intrigued by him and his profile. This is about the excitement and realness of Ortiz. Who quite frankly has been slept on by a lot of Os fans because of injuries and a slow start to his minor league career. Hes been lights out since last July.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#5 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:14 AM

How much 2nd base has Ortiz played at Norfolk? Does this signal a quasi demotion for Frazier? I can't imagine we promoted Ortiz to sit him.

If we had just about anyone else I'd want Ortiz to play SS every day, but can't sit Mateo too much right now. Unless Mateo might be more banged up than we think. 

This year he played 5 innings at 2B. Last year he played approximately 20% of his time at 2B. I'm sure he'll be fine there, he's supposed to be an elite defender. Like I said in the other thread I hope he gets more than the 1.3 PA/g Vavra got.

Re: Ortiz v. Westburg above, Ortiz is already on the 40 man, which makes things easier.

• BobPhelan, Mike B and PrimeTime like this

#6 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:16 AM

Why? You certainly saw how they "played" Stowers.

• PrimeTime likes this

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,647 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:39 AM

Ortiz is raking too. And hes the superior defender. Hes passed Westburg. Again, not tearing down Westburg. Still very intrigued by him and his profile. This is about the excitement and realness of Ortiz. Who quite frankly has been slept on by a lot of Os fans because of injuries and a slow start to his minor league career. Hes been lights out since last July.

Yea, I see he is hitting .389, and was not knocking him, but I think if the move was because Frazier is struggling they would have gone Westburg.  I think Mateo is beat up, so the call went to Ortiz.  

I am also not sure he has passed Westburg, but I am looking forward to seeing Ortiz play SS.

@mikeghg

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,647 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:41 AM

If we had just about anyone else I'd want Ortiz to play SS every day, but can't sit Mateo too much right now. Unless Mateo might be more banged up than we think. 

This year he played 5 innings at 2B. Last year he played approximately 20% of his time at 2B. I'm sure he'll be fine there, he's supposed to be an elite defender. Like I said in the other thread I hope he gets more than the 1.3 PA/g Vavra got.

Re: Ortiz v. Westburg above, Ortiz is already on the 40 man, which makes things easier.

Your last point, is the winner.  If this is a short term thing, it makes perfect sense.

@mikeghg

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 April 2023 - 11:01 AM

Over his last 10 games Ortiz is hitting .459/.488/.649 (1.137) with 5 doubles, a triple, and a stolen base. 189 wRC+, 9.3% walk rate, 9.3% strikeout rate.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#10 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 April 2023 - 11:05 AM

Why? You certainly saw how they "played" Stowers.

Fair point, my friend.

I feel like Ortiz is a little bit more hyped than Stowers but maybe that's just my perception. Also, the OF was bit more locked down; albeit Hays nagging wrist injury should've gotten Stowers more playing time.

With that said, I would hope the organization and Hyde specifically, have learned a lesson from the Stowers situation and will handle things better/differently with Ortiz.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 11:07 AM

Over his last 10 games Ortiz is hitting .459/.488/.649 (1.137) with 5 doubles, a triple, and a stolen base. 189 wRC+, 9.3% walk rate, 9.3% strikeout rate.

Hes tore up AAA period. Only 42 games but a 351/396/542 slash line
  • BobPhelan likes this

#12 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 April 2023 - 11:08 AM

Yea, I see he is hitting .389, and was not knocking him, but I think if the move was because Frazier is struggling they would have gone Westburg.  I think Mateo is beat up, so the call went to Ortiz.  

I am also not sure he has passed Westburg, but I am looking forward to seeing Ortiz play SS.

This move impacts Urias as well. He's acquitted himself well at 2nd base and his bat is heating up. Shortstop is pretty much on lockdown between Mateo and Gunnar. Then, when Mateo is at SS, Gunnar is getting the lion's share of the playing time at 3rd. Perhaps this will allow Adley to get a full day off here and there.

At the end of the day, it's absolutely a good problem to have. When was the last time when we had more good players than lineup spots?

• BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@primetime667083

#13 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 11:29 AM

Glad Ortiz got called up, hopefully he doesn't ride the bench.  IMO, I would have rather sent McKenna down and kept Vavra.

#14 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:01 PM

Glad Ortiz got called up, hopefully he doesn't ride the bench.  IMO, I would have rather sent McKenna down and kept Vavra.

The one thing about McKenna is he really is the ideal reserve OFer. He can be a late inning defensive replacement or pinch runner and he can start once a week and be as effective as he can be. I have no problem with McKenna being on the roster. My issue is that Hyde seems enamored of him and uses him a bit more than he should.

@primetime667083

#15 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:02 PM

Another factor, Ortiz is on the 40 man, neither Westburg nor Norby is so bringing him up means you don’t have to drop anyone.

#16 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:33 PM

Shame they didn't just release Frazier.

#17 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:46 PM

I think Frazier has been a nice addition, at least so far, he isn’t a world burner but a good vet who is our best 2B defensively, can play outfield and his bat has been okay.
  • JoyinMudville likes this

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,647 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:53 PM

They spent 8M on him.  That alone is going to keep him on the team, but it is too early to cut him.  He started well and has like others slumped.  I never understood the signing, but it is too early to cut him.

@mikeghg

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 April 2023 - 12:57 PM

I'm all for giving him less playing time right now, but they may need him at some point given they just optioned Vavra and Frazier can play OF if needed.

#20 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 02:09 PM

The one thing about McKenna is he really is the ideal reserve OFer. He can be a late inning defensive replacement or pinch runner and he can start once a week and be as effective as he can be. I have no problem with McKenna being on the roster. My issue is that Hyde seems enamored of him and uses him a bit more than he should.

Yes, but I think Vavra everything just as well; I like Terrin's bat better, he just hasn't received the PT/at bats to develop/show his skills.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=