Photo

College Basketball 2023-24 General Talk (UCONN Wins)

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#421 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 April 2024 - 09:44 PM

Huskies starting to pull away…
@BSLZackKiesel

#422 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 09:47 PM

I believe UConn has covered every game the last 2 years. Well this one isnt quite over but has to be the most dominant 2 year run since at least UCLAs heyday

#423 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 April 2024 - 09:59 PM

UConn more rings than dook. Tied now with UNC

Blue blood
  • CantonJester likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#424 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 09:59 PM

Gonzaga 0 titles FYI
  • You Play to Win the Game and glenn__davis like this

@bopper33

#425 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:01 PM

UConn more rings than dook. Tied now with UNC

Blue blood

All since '99. Insane 25 years

#426 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:06 PM

Big Ten will now be 0-8 in title games since 2000.

Maryland is still the current Big Ten program with the most recent national championship.
@BSLZackKiesel

#427 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:08 PM

I feel bad for anyone who chose to fade UConn in their brackets or never had a ticket on them. No one else had any chance. It was over before it started. Hat tip to that kind of dominance

#428 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:13 PM

Purdue was the 2nd best team in this tourny and they falling as hard as all the rest of em. I wont hear that Houston or UNC or anyone else wouldve done any better

#429 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:16 PM

Purdue was the 2nd best team in this tourny and they falling as hard as all the rest of em. I wont hear that Houston or UNC or anyone else wouldve done any better

They could have beaten UConn but it would take Connecticut playing a bad game.

UConn plays even decent and they’re winning.

@bopper33

#430 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:17 PM

UConn averaging a title every 4 years since 1999. Insane
  • CantonJester likes this

@bopper33

#431 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:36 PM

UConn should win.
It's not going to be because Purdue isn't used to playing at pace.

Sure looked that way. 

#432 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:39 PM

They could have beaten UConn but it would take Connecticut playing a bad game.

UConn plays even decent and they’re winning.

UConn would've needed injuries to lose this game. I mean, they have so many freakin looks, they played Karaban on Edey for a good chunk of the second half, and they accelerated the pace in doing that. Purdue couldn't keep at it. 

It's probably important to recognize Connecticut has four guards, all of whom would start for Purdue. 

#433 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:41 PM

UConn averaging a title every 4 years since 1999. Insane

The thing that will tick off a Duke, Carolina, Kansas or Kentucky fan?

Calhoun won three titles. Ollie won one with Calhoun's team, but then he tanked the program. Hurley brought them back with two titles in six years. 

Oh yeah - Hurley nudging his player on the court was probably the dumbest thing I've seen a head coach do, since you know, when Juwan Howard threatened to kill Mark Turgeon...

#434 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 04:55 AM

Sure looked that way.

Nah, it wasn't the pace. Huskies did what they should have...let Edey get his, defend everything else.

#435 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 11:04 AM

Nah, it wasn't the pace. Huskies did what they should have...let Edey get his, defend everything else.

I have no idea what game you were watching. Purdue could not handle the pace of play on both sides. If you actually watched the game last night, you would’ve seen Edey in the 2nd half literally watching players approach the rim from the other side. He was out of gas, unable to muster stamina. If you’re preserving stamina in a title game, that’s not so good. Also, tell me they could handle the pace when they only attempted 7 three pointers because they couldn’t find the open man. Oh, and let’s talk pace of play when once Samson Johnson entered the game, he had two alley-oop slam dunks inside of 90 seconds. Players getting lost by a defending team sure sounds like a pace of play issue to me. 

I could go on, but if it weren’t for Edey (and the refs allowing his versions of (moving) screens), Purdue would’ve lost last night by 50 points. But yeah, tell me more about pace of play. 

#436 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 11:19 AM

Popcorn ready

#437 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 April 2024 - 11:37 AM

I have no idea what game you were watching. Purdue could not handle the pace of play on both sides. If you actually watched the game last night, you would’ve seen Edey in the 2nd half literally watching players approach the rim from the other side. He was out of gas, unable to muster stamina. If you’re preserving stamina in a title game, that’s not so good. Also, tell me they could handle the pace when they only attempted 7 three pointers because they couldn’t find the open man. Oh, and let’s talk pace of play when once Samson Johnson entered the game, he had two alley-oop slam dunks inside of 90 seconds. Players getting lost by a defending team sure sounds like a pace of play issue to me. 

I could go on, but if it weren’t for Edey (and the refs allowing his versions of (moving) screens), Purdue would’ve lost last night by 50 points. But yeah, tell me more about pace of play. 

Yeah, the pace was absolutely a major factor in this game. It was glaringly obvious that Edey was having issues with it.

@BSLZackKiesel

#438 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 11:39 AM

So.... just so I understand your pov...  UCONN (who finished 330th in Tempo)...overwhelmed Purdue with their pace... the same Purdue team that beat Alabama (14th tempo) Arizona (16th), Tennessee twice (80th) etc? 

Ok.

UConn won for the other reason you mentioned other day... they had more size and depth (and talent) everywhere except for Edey.

Their guards had more length and athleticism, and UConn (as they did all year) had the most efficient offense, and pretty much the most efficient defense. 

They let / allowed Edey to get his, and took away everything else. 

If Purdue's guards / wings were able to get theirs... Edey doesn't get winded (as winded, once factoring in the adrenaline) trying to do everything.

Congrats on the win. Enjoy it. 

#439 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 April 2024 - 04:40 PM

The numbers are in.

Men's Final Viewership: 14.82M

Women's Final Viewership: 18.87M

Doesn't end there. The women's final was the most-viewed basketball game (includes college, NBA, WNBA, Olympic, etc) since 2019. In fact, since 2019 it was the most-viewed sporting event, other than NFL, CFB or the Olympics, in the US.

It does deserve mention that the women's final aired on ABC (and ESPN) while the men's final was on TBS/TNT/TruTV, so the OTA vs cable edge the women's game had likely helped a bit.

• mweb08 and BSLZackKiesel like this

#440 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 April 2024 - 05:10 PM

I didn’t watch a second of the men’s final but was tuned into Kaitlin. Shame she couldn’t overcome South Carolina, but that was one hell of a team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=