Photo

College Basketball 2023-24 General Talk (UCONN Wins)

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#361 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 08:41 AM

Men's Final 4: 

UConn vs. Alabama   April 6th

Purdue / Tenn vs. Duke / NCST  April 6th

Women's Elite 8

South Carolina vs. Oregon State 3/31
Texas vs. NCST 3/31

LSU vs. Iowa 4/1 
USC vs. UConn 4/1

#362 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,407 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 09:58 AM

Stop chasing your losses.

Im not chasing anything. CBB sucks period compared to the association. If you're gonna watch basketball watch far and away the best product out there

#363 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 04:40 PM

Purdue beat Tennessee....  Edey with 40 and 16.

Duke is leading NCST.

#364 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 06:20 PM

What an incredible run by NC State. This is a team that doesn't make the tourney without that ACC title run right? Good to see that program have something to cheer for.
  • BSLZackKiesel likes this

#365 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 March 2024 - 08:39 PM

ESPN: 3-point lines in Portland "not the same distance," NCAA says

Somewhere Gene Hackman is saying, "welp, that blows my pregame speech."

#366 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 08:56 AM

The popularity of the women's game will drop by a bit once Clark leaves but I don't believe it will be by much.  Social media is now king and the women have done a much better job recognizing that and reacting to it than the men.  I haven't liked a lot of Angel Reese's antics but she knows her role as the villain and is playing it perfectly.  As we continue to evolve more towards a society that values style and entertainment over substance it would only seem natural that women's sports will continue to close the gap in popularity to the men's.

#367 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 09:17 AM

As we continue to evolve more towards a society that values style and entertainment over substance it would only seem natural that women's sports will continue to close the gap in popularity to the men's.

Yikes

#368 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 April 2024 - 09:37 AM

The popularity of the women's game will drop by a bit once Clark leaves but I don't believe it will be by much. Social media is now king and the women have done a much better job recognizing that and reacting to it than the men. I haven't liked a lot of Angel Reese's antics but she knows her role as the villain and is playing it perfectly. As we continue to evolve more towards a society that values style and entertainment over substance it would only seem natural that women's sports will continue to close the gap in popularity to the men's.

Had a feeling this thread would eventually turn into full-blown misogyny. Well done.
@BSLZackKiesel

#369 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 09:42 AM

Yikes

Had a feeling this thread would eventually turn into full-blown misogyny. Well done.

No problem!  Had a feeling the responses would be incorrect projections based what on people want to believe rather than the content of what was said.  Well done.

The women's game is in very good hands right now.  I'll likely tune in to watch at least a bit of the Iowa/LSU game tonight.

#370 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 09:46 AM

If you intended to say anything other than "men's sports = substance and women's sports = style" then you need to edit and rephrase.

#371 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 10:55 AM

I'm comfortable with what I wrote and the way I wrote it.  You assigned an extreme position to me when it wasn't warranted.  All too common in today's online discourse.

Social media will only continue to become more and more influential, and in the United States the most important platforms for the younger crowd, Instagram and TikTok, are used significantly more by women.  Women's sports have done a great job recognizing this and using it to their advantage.  In the meantime they've struck lightning with Clark and Angel Reese has played her villain role very well.  I do think it will be interesting to see what dropoff there is after Clark.  LIke I said I think there will be some but not much.

I have only my limited sphere to look at but it's interesting to see my teenage boys and their friends and my pre-teen girl and her friends.  My boys both play sports and my older son loves to watch them but neither they nor their friends "look up" to any sports heroes the way I feel like we did (or at least I did) when I was younger.  It's almost not cool.  Like it's cool to play sports, but to be invested in a player?  Not so much.  Even watching sports, my older son likes to watch MD basketball and the Orioles when he can, but his peers, teammates, friends, never.

My daughters friends meanwhile are all about certain players and have watch parties for certain games and are totally into it.  It's just fascinating to see the difference.  And again maybe that's just my own little world, but it certainly seems to be that corporate sports are not cool for boys but very cool for girls right now.

#372 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2024 - 11:19 AM

The popularity of the women's game will drop by a bit once Clark leaves but I don't believe it will be by much.  Social media is now king and the women have done a much better job recognizing that and reacting to it than the men.  I haven't liked a lot of Angel Reese's antics but she knows her role as the villain and is playing it perfectly.  As we continue to evolve more towards a society that values style and entertainment over substance it would only seem natural that women's sports will continue to close the gap in popularity to the men's.

Angel Reese is a villain!?

#373 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 11:51 AM

Angel Reese is a villain!?

That statement is...surprising to you!?  It's not exactly a novel concept that I came up with here.

Just google "Angel Reese villlain" .  She knows what she's doing, and she does it very well.

#374 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2024 - 11:56 AM

That statement is...surprising to you!?  It's not exactly a novel concept that I came up with here.

Just google "Angel Reese villlain" .  She knows what she's doing, and she does it very well.

Is that because of her play or because she looks different than Caitlin Clark?

#375 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 12:06 PM

Is that because of her play or because she looks different than Caitlin Clark?

Well if your goal is to project racism onto people then I'm sure it's the latter.  And to be fair, I'm sure there are many people for whom that is the case.

#376 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2024 - 12:09 PM

Well if your goal is to project racism onto people then I'm sure it's the latter.  And to be fair, I'm sure there are many people for whom that is the case.

I asked you why is she a villain and all you did was tell me to google it.  So I ask again what has she done to make you view her as a villain.  

#377 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 12:33 PM

I'm comfortable with what I wrote and the way I wrote it. You assigned an extreme position to me when it wasn't warranted. All too common in today's online discourse.

I assigned no position to you. I read the words you wrote. If you mean something other than you think that women's sports are only style whereas men's sports have substance, that was not cogently conveyed with the words you chose to write. Nor was it modified in your doubling down. You do you, I guess.

#378 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 12:57 PM

I assigned no position to you. I read the words you wrote. If you mean something other than you think that women's sports are only style whereas men's sports have substance, that was not cogently conveyed with the words you chose to write. Nor was it modified in your doubling down. You do you, I guess.

Absolutely incorrect.  Never did I say that women's sports have only style and no substance.  You assigned that position to me.  My argument was that as a society we continue to shift more towards valuing style over substance and the women have figured that out and taken advantage of that better than the men, particularly through social media.

LET THE RECORD SHOW I think the women's game has plenty of substance.

#379 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 01:04 PM

Lol, ok.

#380 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 01:06 PM

I asked you why is she a villain and all you did was tell me to google it.  So I ask again what has she done to make you view her as a villain.  

Actually you didn't ask me that specifically at first.  You said "Angel Reese is a villain!?" as if that were somehow some foreign concept.  That was when I told you to google it, so I'll ask you not to misrepresent what I said.

I am certain that for many people out there, whether they realize it not, Reese is a villain because she's black and Clark is a hero because she's white.

For me personally, I did not like Reese's antics in the championship game last year, following Clark around at the end of the game.  I thought it was classless and the exact opposite of how I would want my players to act.  Be a good winner and a good loser.  For the record I also didn't like Clark's gestures throughout the tournament, and I believe said so on here at the time.  Reese committed a pretty dirty foul against South Carolina that probably led to that fight.  She's constantly talking trash and trying to get under peoples' skins.  I get that this is accepted by many today, I still don't like it.  Don't like it when any players do it, regardless of their color.  I've been very consistent on that.

And I'll also say, I'm not rooting against her.  If I'm rooting against LSU it's because I think Mulkey is a jerk, but at the end of the day I don't really have a rooting interest.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=