That was a helluva win!

#142 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 06:23 PM

Given the woeful start by the team's SP, I'd say 9-7 is a great place to be. That tracks to a 90 win season. 

#143 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 06:27 PM

That was a helluva win!

Big time.  Now, let's take out the Nationals two straight and they'll be sitting at a solid 11-7. 

#144 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 06:29 PM

Good to see Henderson get a couple of much needed hits. I really hope he can get on track defensively

He made a couple of solid plays with one errant throw.  Just keep him at third...he has the talent to become an excellent fielder.  He's never going to be a Machado down there but certainly above average. 

#145 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,990 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 06:29 PM

Huge win against Cease.

#146 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 16 April 2023 - 06:31 PM

He made a couple of solid plays with one errant throw. Just keep him at third...he has the talent to become an excellent fielder. He's never going to be a Machado down there but certainly above average.

Not really disagreeing, but it's hard to sit a gold glove 3B despite the much higher ceiling of his replacement.

Edit: Maybe Urias becomes part of a trade package for that #1 SP we still need?

#147 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 06:55 PM

Not really disagreeing, but it's hard to sit a gold glove 3B despite the much higher ceiling of his replacement.

Possibly. I know Urias is a very good fielder but like you said, I think you have to project long term instead of the immediate future.

#148 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 07:01 PM

Probably should've won the game they lost and lost both games they won this weekend.

#149 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 07:19 PM

I like Frazier a lot but the pickup didn't make sense to me. If Gunnar's our future 3rd baseman put him there and have either Urias or Mateo start at 2nd. That would be a pretty awesome infield.

#150 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 April 2023 - 08:38 PM

Crazy weekend. Got wins after falling behind two of the best starters in the game, and gave away the one game that they probably had the best odds of winning. In the end, they took 2 of 3 in a series where they faced Cease and Clevinger, so I'll take it.

Even better is that Mullins seems to have got it going at the plate, while Henderson and Santander showed signs of life too. That's good since Mountcastle appears to have cooled off and I doubt both Mateo and Hays keep up their current pace for long.

#151 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,823 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 April 2023 - 10:51 PM

.... That's good since Mountcastle appears to have cooled off .....

All his ABs weren't good...but he smoked a couple balls the last 2.

The WhiteSox announcers said something funny about the last one to left that went 7-5 for a FC...

Everyone is inches from looking hot or cold.

#152 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,638 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 10:52 PM

GRod found the change today. Thing was dirty. Biggest adjustment is AAA to majors. Not gonna be easy all the time. There is such thing as a pitching stud when it comes to this kid. Patience.
  • You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan, Mike B and 1 other like this

#153 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,645 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 April 2023 - 06:06 AM

All his ABs weren't good...but he smoked a couple balls the last 2.

The WhiteSox announcers said something funny about the last one to left that went 7-5 for a FC...

Everyone is inches from looking hot or cold.

Yeah, he continues to hit the ball very hard. He's never going to walk so that all you can ask from him at the plate.

#154 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 April 2023 - 06:52 AM

Mounty got screwed by poor base running by Mullins. That's a hit all day taken away and never shows up in the box score. Watched the replay and Mullins ran back almost all the way to second as if he was going to tag up? You are never tagging up on a ball hit to left there. So stupid. Go half way like you should and its a single.

The good news is the O's continue to overcome bad SP and mental errors. If they get the SP going they will be much better off and I gotta think the mental errors will normalize.

#155 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 07:28 AM

Yeah, he continues to hit the ball very hard. He's never going to walk so that all you can ask from him at the plate.

Definitely a free swinger and the danger of him hitting all these early homeruns is the tendency to start overswinging and trying to go deep with every at bat.  That leads to bad habits and strikeouts.  All power hitters will usually fall into that trap at some point during the season. Then they start to struggle and realize they need to cut down on their swing, try to drive the ball up the middle, make consistent contact, etc...Mountcastle is never going to be a .300 hitter but I think if he can hover between .260-.270 and still hit the long ball and drive in runs, he'll be productive. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#156 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 17 April 2023 - 09:30 AM

GRod found the change today. Thing was dirty. Biggest adjustment is AAA to majors. Not gonna be easy all the time. There is such thing as a pitching stud when it comes to this kid. Patience.

We live in this instant gratification/hot take world that simply doesn't lend itself to baseball. The amount of "send him down" and "he's not ready" posts I saw on social media after the 1st inning was ridiculous.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#157 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 09:39 AM

We live in this instant gratification/hot take world that simply doesn't lend itself to baseball. The amount of "send him down" and "he's not ready" posts I saw on social media after the 1st inning was ridiculous.

Clayton Kershaw had a 4.26 ERA and a 98 ERA+ in his rookie year of 21 starts. Very mid. We know what he’s done since.

If the guy has nothing left to prove at AAA, which he doesn’t, you let him take his lumps. Better now than in August/September. I just hope while he’s developing now, he’s still available In August/September and Elias doesn’t have that stupid crystal ball that tells them when to shut down rookie pitchers.
  • PrimeTime and JStruds like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#158 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:40 AM

Yeah, if you guys can’t understand fans venting in a game thread over a 1st inning meltdown, given the history of pitching prospects in Baltimore, I really don’t know what to tell you.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#159 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 11:12 AM

Yeah, if you guys can’t understand fans venting in a game thread over a 1st inning meltdown, given the history of pitching prospects in Baltimore, I really don’t know what to tell you.

Meh. Melting down over anything less than 3 weeks into a 162 game season is an overreaction.

Ravens game threads I understand. There are only 17 games. After 4 games your about a quarter of the way through the season.
@BSLMikeRandall

#160 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 17 April 2023 - 11:17 AM

Clayton Kershaw had a 4.26 ERA and a 98 ERA+ in his rookie year of 21 starts. Very mid. We know what he’s done since.

If the guy has nothing left to prove at AAA, which he doesn’t, you let him take his lumps. Better now than in August/September. I just hope while he’s developing now, he’s still available In August/September and Elias doesn’t have that stupid crystal ball that tells them when to shut down rookie pitchers.

Once Means comes back, I wouldn't mind a six man rotation to preserve both his and GRod's arms for the stretch. Of course, that's depending on four other SPs being at least decent between now and then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=