46 replies to this topic

#21 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 12:34 PM

Except those teams didn't have legitimate prospects ready and waiting.

I kinda don't get it. I won't cry over the production these has been's are currently providing. But when exactly would be the time to allow prospects to make their way to becoming big leaguers? Or is that only for the blue chippers?

Im not sure what to say about Westburg other than hes not on the 40 man and there are legit MLB players in front of him. He deserves a look for sure. Period.

Here is one thing that popped into my head Id like to get thoughts on . If they intended to trade Westburg how much value does he retain simply by the next team being in control of his service time. So if the Os bring him up now then you start his clock. Maybe his next team would try to manipulate to get the extra year. I doubt that plays much if any part. If hes traded to a team they are likely to start his service time immediately and your looking at the same 6 years of team control after this year.

#22 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 04:31 PM

Has to be a super 2 thing, its all I can think of. Just don't think adding him to the 40 man and even if he struggles could really effect his value much at all at this point.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 05:05 PM

Has to be a super 2 thing, its all I can think of. Just don't think adding him to the 40 man and even if he struggles could really effect his value much at all at this point.

116 days left in the year after today.

This year's cutoff was 128 days. 116 the year before. 134 the max in the past ten years. So still a couple more weeks to be really safe in that regard.

Delaying anyone for Super-2 reasons is pretty disappointing. I support doing it for the extra year, but not just to save money down the road.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#24 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 05:12 PM

For sure the super 2 thing would be annoying. I still do wonder how much they like him. You OTV guys have talked about the swing and miss to his game. Also does he have a position at this point?? Maybe they are just protecting him a bit and keeping his trade value as high as possible. I dont think it can be affected much but if he came up and really struggled for a month offensively maybe it makes it a bit harder to sell him on teams at the deadline.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#25 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 09:12 PM

As predicted, he's rapidly cooling off after his hot start. O's are going to have to figure out the 1B position if he continues to decline and Mountcastle can't recover.

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 09:16 PM

Santander will move to 1b. Urias could play a bit too. Cowser and Kjerstad would be the next ones up. An outside option is possible but unlikely IMO. OHearn still has leash btw. He will get the RHP starts at minimum through the AS break.

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 09:19 PM

The offense has struggled 3 of the laat 4 games but people have to understand that the offense in general is in solid shape. With guys in AAA you could still look to call up. Any external additions are all likely to be pitching.

#28 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 July 2023 - 09:28 AM

Happy Birthday Ryan.  Go yard.

#29 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 July 2023 - 10:20 AM

One of my favorites. Guy just does his job and so far way better than I expected him too. 

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 26 July 2023 - 10:21 AM

Felt like he was starting to fall out of favor a bit with fans but he's been very solid all year and is still heating up.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#31 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 26 July 2023 - 10:42 AM

I've been pleasantly surprised. I've given him a lot of crap but he's been a stable bat in the middle. Still not convinced he's a long term solution, but happy to ride a career year as long as possible.

I feel he's a pretty slick defender at 1B as well, but he's got a 1.3 OWAR and only .8 overall so my eyes must not match what the analysts say.

#32 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,010 posts

Posted 26 July 2023 - 11:49 AM

The performance for the price is a great ratio, and he seems like he's probably a great clubhouse guy. Happy to have him.

#33 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 10:57 AM

I checked, and Ryan was correct when he told Hyde that he hadn't had a sac bunt in 5 years.  The one on Sunday was his first ever in the majors, but he had 2 in AAA in 2018.

#34 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 08:27 AM

He finished the season 0 for 23, dropping his batting average from .310 to .289.

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 09:08 AM

He finished the season 0 for 23, dropping his batting average from .310 to .289.

Baltbird can finally brag I guess?? Not really.

#36 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 02:02 PM

He was much better than anticipated this year. He did struggle a little the last couple of months.

Glad we had him this year.... wouldn't expect as much if they decided to keep him around next season.

#37 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 02:08 PM

He was much better than anticipated this year. He did struggle a little the last couple of months.

Glad we had him this year.... wouldn't expect as much if they decided to keep him around next season.

Seems like 2014 Steve Pearce. It was great that they had him and was a huge contributor, but probably shouldn't be expected to do as well again next year. He'll be arb3 and I really have no idea if they tender him.

• BobPhelan likes this

#38 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 02:20 PM

In theory, I suppose Kjerstad could fill O'Hearn's role...  lots of tough roster decisions for next year's team, glad I don't have to make them.

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 October 2023 - 09:36 AM

I think O'Hearn did a great job for the Orioles.  He struggled the last week but every player has a stretch like that.  I suspect the Orioles are going to want to cut back on some of the arbitration players to make up for increases to people they have to pay.  Maybe they can trade O'Hearn for a usable reliever.

@mikeghg

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 07:07 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=