#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 April 2023 - 12:44 PM

I think a high quality Mgr can make a difference with teams, and I'm not sure Hyde is that. 
But I strongly believe tactical decisions are like 1% of the job... and I also strongly believe that if the O's don't make the playoffs that if you had a pie chart assigning percentages of why, Hyde's slice will be very minimal. 

What slices would be more than him? Genuinely asking.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 12:50 PM

What slices would be more than him? Genuinely asking.

- Players you were expecting X from fall short.

- Bullpen regression.

- Rotation not quite good enough.  

- Injuries you can't get past. 

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 April 2023 - 12:58 PM

- Players you were expecting X from fall short.

- Bullpen regression.

- Rotation not quite good enough.  

- Injuries you can't get past. 

But none of the people in charge who assembled it? 

Fair enough, I mean at the end of the day it really is about performing or not. I do think there was ample opportunity, even without increasing payroll, to address some more things, but whatever, we don't need to do that. I would also like to see some urgency wrt Hyde if it does become super obvious he can't get it done.

#24 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,111 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 01:00 PM

Managers make a real difference when they can find small angles and edges over 162 games. Hyde is a negative in that category. He finds no edges. He gives edges away at times. So yeah, his performance this yesr might not make a difference if we are quite good or quite bad but since seemingly everyone has us as a 75-85 win team I think his performance could have a real effect. As I said, its something you will not be able to measure.

Can you measure the fact that Buck almost always has his team ready to go out of the gate and has strong Aprils. You can look at the April record as proof but how else, unless you really watch, would you know that. The avg fan would just chalk it up to the pitching being solid or the offense being solid and think its mostly random. Baseball isnt as random as some would have you believe.

#25 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 01:27 PM

You guys better pace yourselves.  There's 158 games left and some of you are already in implosion mode. 

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 01:36 PM

But none of the people in charge who assembled it? 

Fair enough, I mean at the end of the day it really is about performing or not. I do think there was ample opportunity, even without increasing payroll, to address some more things, but whatever, we don't need to do that. I would also like to see some urgency wrt Hyde if it does become super obvious he can't get it done.

Oh sure.  If the rotation proves to not be good enough, Ownership and Elias have responsibility there. If you are assigning % allocations, they'd have their share. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 01:41 PM

You guys better pace yourselves.  There's 158 games left and some of you are already in implosion mode. 

Not sure who that's directed to; but if you think I'm included in there... absolutely not. 
This is baseball. A marathon.  I do believe things generally even out, and you find your weight.  
You lose a game Saturday you have no business losing... somewhere along the way you'll win a game you have no business winning. 

Defense will be good. 
Rotation I think will generally be adequate (and better then we've seen in games 1-3).
Bullpen... could regress from last year, but if the rotation is not abysmal, should remain good. Givens and Tate will obviously help. 

Depth is good (not just the depth at the ML leve). There are usable MiL options, that can help the ML roster, or be traded for piece(s) who can. 

There is enough talent to win the East. 
Just don't think that should be the expectation. 

One game and series at a time. 

Lost two, end that noise and get even tonight. 

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this

#28 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 01:51 PM

Not sure who that's directed to; but if you think I'm included in there... absolutely not. 
This is baseball. A marathon.  I do believe things generally even out, and you find your weight.  
You lose a game Saturday you have no business losing... somewhere along the way you'll win a game you have no business winning. 

Defense will be good. 
Rotation I think will generally be adequate (and better then we've seen in games 1-3).
Bullpen... could regress from last year, but if the rotation is not abysmal, should remain good. Givens and Tate will obviously help. 

Depth is good (not just the depth at the ML leve). There is usable MiL options, that can help the ML roster, or be traded for piece(s) who can. 

No, I wasn't directing that at you.  You always stay positive. 

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 01:56 PM

Texas Rangers SB Nation: Weekend Recap

https://www.lonestar...g-weekend-recap

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:13 PM

Mullins CF
Rutschman DH
Santander RF
Mountcastle 1st
Henderson 3rd

Stowers LF
Frazier 2nd
Mateo SS
Benboom C

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,111 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:18 PM

Hays is 6 for his last 8 so lets sit him
  • SonicAttack likes this

#32 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:28 PM

Santander in rightfield.  Hide the kids! 

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:33 PM

Santander in rightfield. Hide the kids!

I think he's fine in RF. Not good, but playable. For some reasons he just always looks lost in LF, so much so that I wouldn't bother with the "least rangy outfielder in LF" plan that teams often do at Fenway. He should be the primary DH, but with Rutschman doing that a quarter of the time it can't be everyday.

#34 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:37 PM

Hopefully McCann is back soon.

#35 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:39 PM

Also, glad to see Mateo is back.

#36 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:44 PM

I'm still waiting for confirmation that they don't take take outfield practice

#37 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 03:53 PM

Not many players have played against this pitchers

Mullins is 2 for 2 with a homer and 2 rbis

Frazier is 4 for 19 with 1 rbi 

TAKING ON TEXAS: The Orioles went 6-0 against the Rangers last season, their first sweep of a season series against a single opponent since 2020 against the Phillies (3-0) and their first season sweep of at least six games against a single opponent since 2010 against Los Angeles-AL (6-0)...Marked Baltimore's first season sweep of any length against Texas, and the first time the Rangers had ever been swept in a season series by an American League opponent.

STARTING WITH A BANG: O's batters have slugged seven home runs through the first three games of the season, tied for the most in team history (since 1954) with the 2006 club...The most home runs through Baltimore's first four games of a season is nine by the 1966 squad and the 2000 team...The O's have homered in each of the first three games of the season for the 10th time in club history and first since 2017 (also 3); the club record for the most consecutive games with a home run to start a season is seven by the 1966 team and the 1984 club.

Bradish

QUICK HITS: Made 23 starts in his inaugural season with the Orioles in 2022...Went 4-7 with a 4.90 ERA (64 ER/117.2 IP) with 111 strikeouts to 46 walks...Made his MLB debut on April 29 vs. Boston; dealt the loss after surrendering three runs (2 ER) on five hits (1 HR) with one walk and two strikeouts in 6.0 innings...Was one of 13 players and one of seven O's pitchers to make their debut in 2022...Threw to Adley Rutschman in Rutschman's debut on May 21 vs. Tampa Bay...Tossed 16.0 consecutive scoreless innings across four starts from August 26 to September 6... Acquired by the Orioles along with RHP Kyle BrnovichRHP Zach Peekand RHP Isaac Mattson from Los Angeles-AL in exchange for RHP Dylan Bundy on December 4, 2019...Originally drafted by the Angels in the fourth round of the 2018 First-Year Player Draft out of New Mexico State.

https://img.mlbstati...zgmc84puggr.pdf

CAREER AGAINST TEXAS: Making his second career start against Texas...Received a no decision in his only start vs. the Rangers on August 3 at Globe Life Field, allowing one run on three hits with three walks, one hit batter, and five strikeouts in 5.0 innings...Will also be his second career appearance at Globe Life Field.

https://img.mlbstati...zgmc84puggr.pdf

#38 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,272 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 April 2023 - 04:20 PM

Hays is 6 for his last 8 so lets sit him

While I dont like sitting Hays not sure what else to do tonight unless you once again don't play Stowers. 

#39 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 04:28 PM

Adley's choices were both pretty bad, especially the one where he ended up with the spinning heel kick to the face of Turner.  No chance of being safe there without a big blunder by the defense.

Santander was out and cost the O's a run, yes, but I thought it was a reasonable gamble to take.  He wasn't out by much and he was trying to get to 3rd base with only 1 out which opens the possibility of scoring without a hit.  And at Fenway, where a hit to LF often doesn't score the runner from 2nd, advancing those 90 feet is more beneficial than most stadiums.  Surely we can apply more thought to every baserunning decision than just "safe = good, out = bad".

Santander's was the worst error IMO, he already was in scoring position (2nd base) with one out.  All players are coached and should know that there is no reason to gamble to get to 3rd with one out, it was a bad decision which added to the O's losing that game as the next batter hit a double and Santander would have scored.  

#40 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 April 2023 - 04:31 PM

Defense will be good. 

Depth is good (not just the depth at the ML leve). There is usable MiL options, that can help the ML roster, or be traded for piece(s) who can. 

The Orioles need a win tonight for the message board.  I tuned out some but have seen the phrase I want him gone too many times already.  

We need to relax and not can anyone after 3 games.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=