Could use a good start.

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 04:23 PM

Pitching and defense can only improve. Be nice to see Bradish off to a big start in his sophomore year. He's probably got more talent than anyone in the organization not named Rodriguez.

#3 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 04:27 PM

The Sawx series was meh.  The O's defense was bad.  The base path running was bad.  The manager bullpen handling was bad.  The manager decision not to bunt runner's over into scoring position was bad. Why was Urias batting 1st for the 2nd game when he has never batted 1st?   I would think some practice batting at the top of the lineup would have been done to help him prepare before having him bat leadoff for the 2nd season game (away at Boston no less).  Hyde gets an "F" grade this series.  The Red Sox have the batters, but their pitching might be worse than the O's.  

#4 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 08:08 AM

Holding a team to under 9 runs would be nice.
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 April 2023 - 08:29 AM

O’s lead the majors in stolen bases by almost double coming out of the opening weekend. Don’t think you can say the “base path running was bad”.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 08:33 AM

End the losing streak tonight, get back to .500. 
Get a series win, and come back to Baltimore .500.

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:14 AM

Wont be easy winning the series. Texas played some really good ball against Philly. If we dont clean things up Texas will keep piling it on us.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:23 AM

Would be great to see Bradish pick up where he left off last year and stop the bleeding from the staff. One of the guys I’m most excited to follow this year.

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:26 AM

I have no real confidence that they will start playing very clean and crisp defensively but Ill choose to hold out hope it was a cold, windy, Fenway Park thing. Otherwise, Ill pull my hair out. Bad D and mental mistakes are the worst.

#10 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:34 AM

Rodriguez and Hall need to get their acts together ASAP.

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 09:58 AM

I have no real confidence that they will start playing very clean and crisp defensively

I think they played clean and crisp defensively last season for the most part.  Its all the same players except one guy who was brought in primarily for his defense.

#12 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 11:33 AM

O’s lead the majors in stolen bases by almost double coming out of the opening weekend. Don’t think you can say the “base path running was bad”.

Santander getting thrown out at 3rd cost the O's a run.  Adley trying to go to 2nd on a single and getting thrown out (2x). 

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 April 2023 - 11:40 AM

Santander getting thrown out at 3rd cost the O's a run.  Adley trying to go to 2nd on a single and getting thrown out (2x). 

Aware of that. Still, 10 stolen bases in a weekend, I think outweighs that. Either way, i'm nit picking wasn't a pretty weekend at all, despite being in a position to where they should've won the series.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 11:57 AM

Adley's choices were both pretty bad, especially the one where he ended up with the spinning heel kick to the face of Turner.  No chance of being safe there without a big blunder by the defense.

Santander was out and cost the O's a run, yes, but I thought it was a reasonable gamble to take.  He wasn't out by much and he was trying to get to 3rd base with only 1 out which opens the possibility of scoring without a hit.  And at Fenway, where a hit to LF often doesn't score the runner from 2nd, advancing those 90 feet is more beneficial than most stadiums.  Surely we can apply more thought to every baserunning decision than just "safe = good, out = bad".

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 April 2023 - 12:06 PM

…despite being in a position to where they should've won the series.

And that’s the part that sucks when there’s expectations. I know it’s probably easy to write off any non-rosy post on 4/3. And I mean, it kinda is. But it doesn’t change the fact that for competitive minded fans, the ones that get away just sting a little. And when the margin is thin, you really can’t have it. They can add up in a hurry. Saturday night was one of those. Still a little pissed about it, lol.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 April 2023 - 12:09 PM

That’s also an area where Buck spoiled us. He definitely held up his end of the bargain with the roster he was provided. Can Hyde? I’m a little skeptical at this point, but I’m willing to give him more run. I understand where 2035’s coming from. Hard to argue against a lot of what he’s saying. You have to control what you can control.

Okay. Rant over. Only 1.85% of the season has been played.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 12:25 PM

Yes the baserunning is part of playing clean and crisp too. These guys arent prepared. Thats on the manager. Get me a damn vet manager whos proven. Im over these dont know what you got and likely crappy guys when the roster is capable of winning.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 12:30 PM

Jon Gray 2022... 

LHH 218 ab's, .731 OPS against

RHH 254 ab's, .602 OPS against

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 12:31 PM

He admitted last year and you coud see it late in the season how he was stressing the games on the bench. When the "leader" is tense and stressed that trickles down. I know Im obsessing and I have to find a way to let it go for now but I just fear this is could be a playoff season lost that falls squarely on him. And if its another 80-85 win season they'd probably convince themselves to bring him back again to start '24.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 12:42 PM

He admitted last year and you coud see it late in the season how he was stressing the games on the bench. When the "leader" is tense and stressed that trickles down. I know Im obsessing and I have to find a way to let it go for now but I just fear this is could be a playoff season lost that falls squarely on him. And if its another 80-85 win season they'd probably convince themselves to bring him back again to start '24.

I think a high quality Mgr can make a difference with teams, and I'm not sure Hyde is that. 
But I strongly believe tactical decisions are like 1% of the job... and I also strongly believe that if the O's don't make the playoffs that if you had a pie chart assigning percentages of why, Hyde's slice will be very minimal. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=