481 replies to this topic

#461 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 04:40 PM

Whew for the love of god, took all 10, but it’s a win. Not worried about Felix he had an abbreviated spring but I want Baker gone! He is a gas can!

And the D will be fine, hopefully just opening day jitters.

#462 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 04:57 PM

Baseball at Fenway is always weird. Let's savor the W gang.

Oh, indeed. Hopefully a few more games and a few more degrees of warmth will translate into better defensive results.

#463 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, 9 runs mostly thanks to atrocious defense.

How many were unearned? 

#464 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 March 2023 - 05:10 PM

How many were unearned? 

Officially 8 runs were earned but we know the defense accounted for more than that.

#465 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 05:42 PM

Gibson looked good until the 6th. Defense let him down. Baker and Bautista weren't great, but the defense did them no favors.

#466 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 March 2023 - 06:10 PM

That was a sloppy game on both sides. Just thankful to finish on the right end of it.

#467 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:06 PM

Good to see game threads are in September form. Everyone is a god or sucks based on one game, inning, at bat, etc…
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#468 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 March 2023 - 10:23 PM

Good to see game threads are in September form. Everyone is a god or sucks based on one game, inning, at bat, etc…

Yup!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#469 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 11:48 PM

Welp, that's over. Now back to our regularly scheduled Lamar thread. :)

• Mike B likes this

#470 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 07:24 AM

Adam Frazier's an early MVP candidate.

• Mike in STL likes this

#471 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 07:36 AM

Pretty much earned his entire contract in one game. Rest of the year is playing with house money.
@BSLMikeRandall

#472 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,758 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:00 AM

4th best player on his own team can't win MVP!

#473 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:29 AM

Welp, that's over. Now back to our regularly scheduled Lamar thread. :)

Another 5 for 5 day and we can start a similar thread for Adley.  :-P

@mikeghg

#474 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:37 AM

Anyone else done with Hays? He looks like total zero at the plate. I think he hit one ball hard, though, but I'm over the "bad luck" stuff with hitters. .220 hitter since mid-season last year. Time to see what Stowers can do with starting job.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#475 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 March 2023 - 09:58 AM

Are we really giving up on players after one game?  I think if guys like Hays are struggling into May we could see Cowser get called up.  Done with guys on March 31st, I will wait.

@mikeghg

#476 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:23 AM

Are we really giving up on players after one game? I think if guys like Hays are struggling into May we could see Cowser get called up. Done with guys on March 31st, I will wait.

Well NMS did cite stats dating back to mid last year.

I’d prefer someone else over Hays — he does very little for me.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#477 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 March 2023 - 11:24 AM

After one game Adley has 0.4 WAR. Mateo, Urias, and Frazier each have 0.2.

#478 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 March 2023 - 12:33 PM

Couple thoughts on the game.

1) It's one game so everything I say is ridiculous especially when it's opening day, in Boston and the temp is under 45F.....but let's not let that stop me...

2) I expected defense to be a strength of the team.  I think it still will be but that was not good yesterday. We're going to blame the sun for that ball Mullins didn't get.  I didn't see the Hays non-play, but seems like there's another ball.  I'm a fan of AS, but he was poor in LF last year too and that was a couple plays - one huge one - that he has to make.  That's not range or anything, that's just understanding how to read the ball off the bat and catch it.  Frazier had 2 balls to his right that would have been good plays, but if your strength is going to be defense, make them.  I'm good with Mateo, but you have to end the game on that play and can't throw it away....and Mountcastle has to pick him up either way.  Thank goodness Boston was terrible yesterday because you can't throw away games on defense like that.  Defense HAS to be a strength to build pitchers confidence in pitching to contact, etc.  This team isn't good enough to give away games, we didn't give it away yesterday, but they were on the brink of an ugly, unnecessary loss. How many flawless games make you feel better about this being the anomaly?  Next 15-20?

3) I wasn't impressed with the hitting.  The batting eye was good across the board but how much of that was Boston bad versus Baltimore great.  How many guys drove the ball.  Maybe it's just the way they were getting pitched (or any of the other factors).  I like the 'other way' approach, but if you can't drive the ball, you will get challenged.  Adley's first one.  Urias owns Kluber for one.  Frazier hit one up the right-center gap.  Hays only decent AB was a line-drive that was caught.  Not intended to be an over-reaction, but I'd really focus on challenging Oriole hitters if I was scouting for upcoming games.  Need to be up for it.

4) I don't want to over-manage pitching decisions.  I'm the guy that thinks evaluation of the decision being marked only by the result is ridiculous....so I don't want to do that.  I am curious about the thought process.  Gibson got you 5 on opening day.  You're off the next day.  Are we just trying to break the ice with 4 more guys?  Akin is your bulk guy.  Gibson wasn't dominating.  After 4, I was hoping he'd get 5 for the win.  Let Akin pitch to 9 guys off a clean inning. Give him 6-7 and if he needs help in 8, fine.

Feels like this should have been 12-3 and an easy win.  Boston was terrible.  If you're going to be good, make easy wins against mediocre team playing poorly, easy.

There were good things too and I don't dismiss them. I don't think Boston is a good team.  Pound them tomorrow and let's head to some better weather in Texas 2-0.   Bring your A game every time.

• BobPhelan likes this

#479 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 March 2023 - 04:13 PM

everything I say is ridiculous

• dude and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#480 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 04:17 PM

everything I say is ridiculous

He did save everyone the reading at the beginning of #1 so props for that. If he'd start the majority of his posts with the same disclaimer I would never need to respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=